Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I expect to see Tross and Biss move on up, despite us trying to keep (they'll want a move imo). I wouldn't be surprised if someone pinched Cucu back to Spain because he has been such a revelation.

I think Maupay, Duffy and Connolly will be moved on by Potter.

As for what I'd like, I'd like Biss to stay and I'd like to see Zeqiri back on our bench coming on.

By the end of next season I expect Caicedo, Moder and Mwepu to move on up aswell.

I've never watched a team with so many players that I think, wow, they will soon be too good for us. Well done the scouting team.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
A number of people saying a player would have signed a new contract by now. From what I have seen and heard, especially player interviews, I thought contracts weren’t discussed until the end of the season. Anyone have any concrete facts on this?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A number of people saying a player would have signed a new contract by now. From what I have seen and heard, especially player interviews, I thought contracts weren’t discussed until the end of the season. Anyone have any concrete facts on this?

Contracts can be discussed and signed during the season, though they tend not to be as the player will have abetter idea of his options once another club could actually buy him (ie when the window opens after the season) and the club will start to get a better idea of whether they will be able to attract a replacement.

The key point is though. Nothing to stop a player signing a new deal at any time

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Contracts are definitely discussed throughout the season.

Not sure whether an extension can be signed outside of a window though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I’d say only two players are a long way behind PL standard and that’s March...

I think I'm right in sayting that only Dunk and the similarly maligned Gross who have played more games in the EPL for Brighton. To describe someone who has played close to 150 games for us in the time we've been in the division as 'a long way behind PL standard' seems like quite an over-exaggeration. You could have just said that you think we could sign better.

Solly and Pascal were both excellent on Saturday, but they have made so many appearances in this league because, between them they've covered virtually every position on the pitch bar keeper and centre half. In a long season, with injuries and suspensions, this type of player is absolutely vital to a squad that works on limited funds. Solly may not always be brilliant, but he sometimes is, and at other times to borrow a well worn phrase he can do a job. When he covered at left wing back during the lockdown season, he did it so well that there was talk of him getting an England call up in the position. When Lamptey got injured, he then swapped and played a few months at right back, before his injury at Anfield. He's not glam, but he's certainly at Premier League standard. You can tell this because he's played in the Premier League for almost twice as many seasons than he's played in any other division.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Contract extension discussions can take place and are often agreed at any time during a season but they are often announced in the summer for obvious reasons - club are clearer about what division they are in and what players they need etc.
Danny Welbeck's extension last year was announced on June 24th.
Solly March signed a new deal and it was announced at end of August last year.
Lewis Dunk's last contract extension was announced in August 2020.
But often for the young prospects, Albion will move quickly to extend/put players on better wages etc if it looks like they are now first team regulars and this can happen at any time... Robert Sanchez was announced in Feb 2021 and Jeremy Sarmiento in Jan 2022. .
So, nope. It depends but nothing to suggest - yet - that for Gross and Trossard won't be offered contracts that they'll accept. Pretty unlikely for Bissouma as there has been reporting he's not interested in a new contract and its fairly obvious - that the club strategy is 1-2 elite sales every year.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I expect to see Tross and Biss move on up, despite us trying to keep (they'll want a move imo). I wouldn't be surprised if someone pinched Cucu back to Spain because he has been such a revelation.

As for what I'd like, I'd like Biss to stay and I'd like to see Zeqiri back on our bench coming on.

By the end of next season I expect Caicedo, Moder and Mwepu to move on up aswell.

I've never watched a team with so many players that I think, wow, they will soon be too good for us. Well done the scouting team.

It isn't sustainable for a club of our size to lose 3 1st XI players every season and expect anything other than a relegation struggle. Southampton sold 11 1st XI players in 4 seasons and went from being Top 8 x 4 seasons to bottom half x 4 seasons and counting.

Ben White was good business because we had Veltman and Lamptey. Selling Bissouma is also OK because we have Caicedo, Moder, Mwepu. These are Prem-ready players. Selling Trossard this summer would be horrible because there is no one we can point to as a like for like replacement.

Mitoma or Sarmiento might be that player in 12 months' time, but the former is currently an impact sub at a Belgian league side while the latter has been injured a good chunk of the time.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Anyone have any concrete facts...?

1. Concrete is the most-used material in the world. ...
2. Concrete and cement are not the same. ...
3. The Ancient Romans perfected concrete – and it still stands today. ...
4. Portland Cement is named after the limestone of a similar colour. ...
5. Concrete was used to detect enemy aircraft in the Second World War.

Best I can do at short notice.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Big forthcoming season for Alzate. He needs to take his chance sooner rather than later especially as Caicedo has really taken his chance and hopefully Moder coming back into contention mid next season.
Will be interesting to see what we do with Kozlowski. A loan I expect to possibly a Championship club or even USG again with a recall clause at the kid season point as per Caicedo last year. This is a player than we've spent £8m on so I expect we have very high hopes for him and he'll need regular football.
Maybe with Moder's injury we'll give Gross another year but I think that ship may have sailed.
Biss will surely be off, although I don't see many people prepared to pay what we want. Could be a game of bluff on this one til late in the transfer window and we'll have to accept that if we don't get an offer then we'll lose him for nothing after next season. However, it would be great to see the Biss, Caicedo, Mwepu partnership for next season.
J-P Van Hecke will be in the squad I think. Clarke sold.
I hope we can get Trossard on an extended contract but not sure we will. Maupay off, and Nketiah in, hopefully.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
1. Concrete is the most-used material in the world. ...
2. Concrete and cement are not the same. ...
3. The Ancient Romans perfected concrete – and it still stands today. ...
4. Portland Cement is named after the limestone of a similar colour. ...
5. Concrete was used to detect enemy aircraft in the Second World War.

Best I can do at short notice.

You forgot concrete gets stronger with age.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Whilst I would have agreed with you up until quite recently, if we end the season as well as the last 5 games . . . . ie hit 50 points, we are a step up, the only better places to go are abroad ( lifestyle choice) or a top 6 club.

there aren't that many better places to go . . .

Bissouma will be sold, I'd like to think we'll keep hold of the rest if we want to.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I’d be very disappointed if Maupay was moved on to be replaced in the squad by Zeqiri if I’m honest.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I hope and expect that Bissouma, Mac Allister and Trossard will be offered big new contracts. Bissouma will definitely turn his down. Trossard I'm not so sure. It depends on whether anyone is interested enough.

Duffy, Gross and Connolly will go. Clarke will be sold to Norwich or Leeds if they go down. Roberts, Leonard and maybe Sarmiento will go on loan to the Championship. Alzate will go on loan abroad. Van Hecke, Kozlowski, Mitoma and Undav will return from loan to fight for squad places.

I'd like to see us bid for Joel Piroe of Swansea if Trossard goes. Attacking midfield player who scores goals.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Can't see a post on Gyokeres; he has done well at Coventry - 17 goals in 45 appearances - is he likely to return?

Maupay could be exiting if we get a decent offer, to be replaced by Undav. If Burnley are relegated and need £60m quickly we should go for Cornet and possibly Weghorst depending on Maupay situation. Played very well against us, not much since but was very effective for Wolfsburg.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can't see a post on Gyokeres; he has done well at Coventry - 17 goals in 45 appearances - is he likely to return?

Maupay could be exiting if we get a decent offer, to be replaced by Undav. If Burnley are relegated and need £60m quickly we should go for Cornet and possibly Weghorst depending on Maupay situation. Played very well against us, not much since but was very effective for Wolfsburg.

Gyokeres was sold or released, I believe.
Not out on loan.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Stick = sell Biss if we can extract the right value for the best holding midfielder in the PL.
Twist = keep Biss (and yes, let him walk for nothing in 12 months) and have a real crack at European football

Whatever is discussed around the Amex boardroom at the end-of-season review, we will probably be trimming fringe and young players in light of new FIFA loan regulations.
But:-
"The cap does not apply to players aged 21 and under, or players who are “club trained” – so those who have been with either their current club or another in the same national association for at least three years between the ages of 15-21. These are usually referred to in the Premier League as “homegrown” players."

So, not much to bother about for us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Gyokeres, 18 goals in a Championship season, sold at a bargain price of £900K.

(We paid £20M for our 18 goal a season Championship strker, although TBF that was 37 goals over two seasons!)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Big forthcoming season for Alzate. He needs to take his chance sooner rather than later especially as Caicedo has really taken his chance and hopefully Moder coming back into contention mid next season.
Will be interesting to see what we do with Kozlowski. A loan I expect to possibly a Championship club or even USG again with a recall clause at the kid season point as per Caicedo last year. This is a player than we've spent £8m on so I expect we have very high hopes for him and he'll need regular football.
Maybe with Moder's injury we'll give Gross another year but I think that ship may have sailed.
Biss will surely be off, although I don't see many people prepared to pay what we want. Could be a game of bluff on this one til late in the transfer window and we'll have to accept that if we don't get an offer then we'll lose him for nothing after next season. However, it would be great to see the Biss, Caicedo, Mwepu partnership for next season.
J-P Van Hecke will be in the squad I think. Clarke sold.
I hope we can get Trossard on an extended contract but not sure we will. Maupay off, and Nketiah in, hopefully.

You know your stuff but, given that, why on earth do you think:
-- Nketiah will want to leave Arsenal and come to us
-- Arsenal will sell Nketiah to us
-- we would pay the transfer fee and wages of a forward that now starts regularly for a side that's likely to finish in the top four and, as a consequence, he'd be playing CL football for Arsenal for us next season, although not with us?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
-- we would pay the transfer fee and wages of a forward that now starts regularly for a side that's likely to finish in the top four and, as a consequence, he'd be playing CL football for Arsenal for us next season, although not with us?

Isn’t he out of contract in June this year?

He hasn’t ruled anything out when Laura Woods interviewed him yesterday.

Signing bonus is an option to keep basic in the structure, as per Lallana

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I think it's unlikely but would be a great player for us, and maybe he knows that he wouldn't be first choice for Arsenal next season so why sign a new contract with them. The salary issue is the probable biggest obstacle, but you never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here