Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Has anyone worked out Trossard's binocular's goal celebration?? myself and my mates think its him looking for a new contract with us. Potts knows what he wants,ony knows what Potts wants, so looking forward to an interesting summer.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn’t he out of contract in June this year?

He hasn’t ruled anything out when Laura Woods interviewed him yesterday.

Signing bonus is an option to keep basic in the structure, as per Lallana

I think it's unlikely but would be a great player for us, and maybe he knows that he wouldn't be first choice for Arsenal next season so why sign a new contract with them. The salary issue is the probable biggest obstacle, but you never know.

Yes we do! It's one thing coming to an agreement with a seasoned old pro, who knows the score, and is already far richer than most of us will ever be unless we win the lottery, and negotiating with someone young, hungry, and quite possibly greedy (or with a greedy agent/family). I don't think we'll be in for him.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Trossard goal celebration was invented by his young son - what he asked him to do if he scored - he explained this in a recent interview

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No matter how great our squad looks we always bring in several players, some for straight away and others for the future. Our recent summers with Potter have looked like:

Summer 2021 - Mwepu, Cucurella, Scherpen, Sima, Mitoma & Sarmiento
Summer 2020 - Welbeck, Zeqiri, Van Hecke, Moder, Karbownik, Veltman & Lallana
Summer 2019 - Trossard, Clarke, Richards, Webster & Maupay

We tried to sign Gonzalez & Nunez last summer and I expect us to look for similar players as these are the two most obvious positions to fill. Someone capable of playing on the right to the level of Trossard would be ideal

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why do the Albion need a rebuild? Didn't BHA just beat Man U 4-0?

Because modern football fans have been told that they should expect this by the media. What the media did not say is they need this to be sure that they have something to write about through the summer.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Serious rebuilt required.

All the players out. Bloom out. Everyone out.

Should’ve scored 5 on Saturday if I’m being honest.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Trossard goal celebration was invented by his young son - what he asked him to do if he scored - he explained this in a recent interview

Shame. I thought it was making fun of those comedy binoculars that clowns use in the circus - you know, Clown A hands them to Clown B, Clown B puts them to their face, and are left with big comedy black soot marks round their eyes. Thought Leo was having a little self-mocking laugh at the way his eyes always look like he’s just got off a 48-hr bender with no sleep.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I now think we will make an almighty effort to keep Mac Allister and Trossard in the summer. I hope we have a further 1 year as yet undeclared option on them both.

OUTS -

Bissouma
Connolly
Băluţa
Andone
Clarke
Richards
( and I think it's looking more likely, Maupay ).

INS -

Enciso ( unless Cashworth steams in with Newcastle )
Maybe another player or 2 for the future season conveyer belt.
A central defender.
A striker ( not Undav ) if Maupay leaves.

In essence a quiet summer transfer window.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it's unlikely but would be a great player for us, and maybe he knows that he wouldn't be first choice for Arsenal next season so why sign a new contract with them. The salary issue is the probable biggest obstacle, but you never know.

See, I said you know your stuff. I wasn't aware that his contract is up, but for the reasons I provided, pretty sure he'll sign a new one with Arsenal. He'd fit in perfectly here and, we have been very ambitious with the strikers we've targeted (most obviously, Nunez), so it's not out of the question, but only be a teeny amount.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
If Biss and Gross go midfield will look a little light, Moder out for start of next season, so at least one midfielder will be a big need, I'd love us to go for someone like Oxlade Chamberlain, only 28, way down the pecking order at Liverpool, I know his wages may be an issue but it's now time to step up to next level on who we bring to club, I think he'd suit potter ball.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No matter how great our squad looks we always bring in several players, some for straight away and others for the future. Our recent summers with Potter have looked like:

Summer 2021 - Mwepu, Cucurella, Scherpen, Sima, Mitoma & Sarmiento
Summer 2020 - Welbeck, Zeqiri, Van Hecke, Moder, Karbownik, Veltman & Lallana
Summer 2019 - Trossard, Clarke, Richards, Webster & Maupay

We tried to sign Gonzalez & Nunez last summer and I expect us to look for similar players as these are the two most obvious positions to fill. Someone capable of playing on the right to the level of Trossard would be ideal

Thanks for posting this and I think you're right that we'll see a handful of new acquisitions, with some for the first 11/14/20/25, and some for the future.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I now think we will make an almighty effort to keep Mac Allister and Trossard in the summer. I hope we have a further 1 year as yet undeclared option on them both.

OUTS -

Bissouma
Connolly
Băluţa
Andone
Clarke
Richards
( and I think it's looking more likely, Maupay ).

INS -

Enciso ( unless Cashworth steams in with Newcastle )
Maybe another player or 2 for the future season conveyer belt.
A central defender.
A striker ( not Undav ) if Maupay leaves.

In essence a quiet summer transfer window.

I think you have got it pretty much right. I would have added March to the Outs but after the way he played against Manure he is not going anywhere!

Who is Enciso? Have I missed something?Edit. The Paraguayan wonder kid. It would be great if a deal cold be revived.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I really hope we're not pinning our striker hopes on a prolific striker from the Belgian League which is equivalent to lower/mid table championship level (is he going to be any better than the Swiss striker we signed??) - definitely a big summer ahead for recruitment

Mark Farrington came from Feyenoord when Dutch football was in far better shape 🙈

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There was a thread fairly similar to this a week or so ago. I'm going to say something similar to what I said on that one: the ins really depends on the outs.

The squad really needs two more defenders. Either one cd and a wb or two cds.

Personally I'd go with a central defender and wing back. Veltman can do a solid job at wb but I prefer him playing more centrally. Lamptey isn't going to play every game or even a full game every time he plays so it'd be good to have cover for that. March can play there but I want him as the cover for cucurella, who can also act as the squads fifth centre back.

Midfield depends on who leaves. If Bissouma goes(which he probably will) I'm not sure we'd get anyone to replace him but if Bissouma and someone else goes as well then we'd probably need to bring in a new player. Kowlowski I expect to join the squad but who knows how much of an impact he'll have and it'd be a huge ask for him to cover the loss to the squad of Bissouma and a.n other.

In terms of attacking players we have three strikers - Welbeck, Maupay and Undav. Does Potter want a fourth? If we bring in another striker I imagine that will mean that Maupay will be off.

If Trossard stays then we should be good in his creative position. Sarmiento seems like a similar player and Mitoma is a potential option there too. If Trossard goes then I expect his replacement will be where we spend the big money.

So, as it stands I think the squad is only two players short - the two defenders. This is what I think it could realistically look like next year.

Sanchez
Scherpen/Rushworth/Steele

Cucurella
Lamptey
March
Dunk
Webster
Veltman
New defender
New defender

Caicedo
Mwepu
Moder
Lallana
Alzate
MacAllister
Gross
Kowlowski

Trossard
Sarmiento
Mitoma

Welbeck
Maupay
Undav

It's pretty cool to know that we don't need too much. Just a couple of defenders because we're light in numbers there. We can build the squad on our terms rather than having to bring in loads of players to make up the numbers and hoping that they can provide the requisite quality. We already have the quality. Exciting times.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If Biss and Gross go midfield will look a little light, Moder out for start of next season, so at least one midfielder will be a big need, I'd love us to go for someone like Oxlade Chamberlain, only 28, way down the pecking order at Liverpool, I know his wages may be an issue but it's now time to step up to next level on who we bring to club, I think he'd suit potter ball.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. He's way down the pecking order at Liverpool for a reason.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
There was a thread fairly similar to this a week or so ago. I'm going to say something similar to what I said on that one: the ins really depends on the outs.

The squad really needs two more defenders. Either one cd and a wb or two cds.

Personally I'd go with a central defender and wing back. Veltman can do a solid job at wb but I prefer him playing more centrally. Lamptey isn't going to play every game or even a full game every time he plays so it'd be good to have cover for that. March can play there but I want him as the cover for cucurella, who can also act as the squads fifth centre back.

Midfield depends on who leaves. If Bissouma goes(which he probably will) I'm not sure we'd get anyone to replace him but if Bissouma and someone else goes as well then we'd probably need to bring in a new player. Kowlowski I expect to join the squad but who knows how much of an impact he'll have and it'd be a huge ask for him to cover the loss to the squad of Bissouma and a.n other.

In terms of attacking players we have three strikers - Welbeck, Maupay and Undav. Does Potter want a fourth? If we bring in another striker I imagine that will mean that Maupay will be off.

If Trossard stays then we should be good in his creative position. Sarmiento seems like a similar player and Mitoma is a potential option there too. If Trossard goes then I expect his replacement will be where we spend the big money.

So, as it stands I think the squad is only two players short - the two defenders. This is what I think it could realistically look like next year.

Sanchez
Scherpen/Rushworth/Steele

Cucurella
Lamptey
March
Dunk
Webster
Veltman
New defender
New defender

Caicedo
Mwepu
Moder
Lallana
Alzate
MacAllister
Gross
Kowlowski

Trossard
Sarmiento
Mitoma

Welbeck
Maupay
Undav

It's pretty cool to know that we don't need too much. Just a couple of defenders because we're light in numbers there. We can build the squad on our terms rather than having to bring in loads of players to make up the numbers and hoping that they can provide the requisite quality. We already have the quality. Exciting times.

Whilst that is a nice 25 it ignores the fact that a few of those players will not need to be registered as they're under 21. We've used 26 players this season and looked quite light in depth at times (especially filling out the bench). I think it will look as below:

Sanchez
Scherpen/Steele

Cucurella
Lamptey
Dunk
Webster
Veltman
Van Hecke
New defender

Mwepu
Moder
Lallana
Alzate
MacAllister
Gross (likely to leave this summer)

Trossard
March
Mitoma
Zeqiri

Welbeck
Maupay
Undav
New striker

U21
Rushworth (will go on loan to Champ)
Caicedo
Kowlowsk (will spend another season at RUSG)
Sarmiento
Khadra

Think we're likely to go and get another striker if the stars align and we finish in the top ten (likely to earn us an additional £15m). I think it will probably be Brereton Diaz (or someone of that ilk) who will come in as a squad player to rotate with Welbeck (with Undav rotating with Maupay).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here