Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most exciting ever BHA signing?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Bobby Smith of Spurs and England fame....1963 I think.Couldn't believe he had signed for us!

I agree, it was 1964 less then 12 months after he last played for England. Nearest similarity to now would be Michael Owen joining a 4th tier side.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
calderon

and im not 12 or anything, have been supporting the albion for 30 years

I cannot for the life of me understand why someone who has seen the Albion in the top flight of English Football would select Calderon as the most exciting signing ever!!!!!

Wardy coming back on loan.
Case first time round but this was lessened by Lawrenson going the other way.
Michael Robinson, Man City payed loads for him 750k which was a lot at the time.
Zamora, after his loan spell who wouldnt have been.
Calderon, yes todays news is massive!

Agree, signing Robinson was a big move for us as was Case. But probably the most exciting player was Worthington. If people consider Calderon to be flair then Worthington would just have blown them away. Historically Bobby Smith was the biggest signing but as I never saw him play (by about 10 years) then I have to stick with Frankie boy.

Actually Peter O'Sullivan. Someone from Manchester United ! to the Albion ? I was amazed.
Maybe but he only played one game for them I think. If you were amazed at that then you must have fallen off your seat when we signed Ritchie.

With regard to some of the posts, surely the criteria is what signing excited you because of what you knew about a player from his previous clubs. Zamora was the find of the century but he didn't have much history before coming to us. Gotsmanov was equally an exciting player but not many had really heard of him before let alone seen him play.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Most exciting signing since the 1983 Cup Final is another question.

I can't think of a single one offhand.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I was pretty excited about Arismendi and Lee Hendrie and even Robbie Savage, its that anticipation that gets you

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Maybe but he only played one game for them I think. If you were amazed at that then you must have fallen off your seat when we signed Ritchie.

Yea right. I think you might be missing the point of what makes signings exciting. When O'Sullivan signed we were a team that were used to kicking around the lower divisions. Manchester United were recently European champions and the most glamorous club in the country, with the most famous winger in the world. That is what was exciting.

When Richie signed we were in the top division and were used to seeing and signing top players.

(I was too young to properly registering signing Bobby Smith).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yea right. I think you might be missing the point of what makes signings exciting. When O'Sullivan signed we were a team that were used to kicking around the lower divisions. Manchester United were recently European champions and the most glamorous club in the country, with the most famous winger in the world. That is what was exciting. Are you saying we signed the wrong winger! If so, that would have been exciting, albeit just before I started watching. The big thing about Best that really pissed me off was that he retired too young and I never got the chance to see him play.

When Richie signed we were in the top division and were used to seeing and signing top players. I can see your point but let's be honest, O'Sullivan was a reserve team player who was never going to progress in that team.

(I was too young to properly registering signing Bobby Smith).

At the end of the day, we probably agree that the biggest signing is the one we both missed as per your comment.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Yeah, Eric Potts, the original ginger prince is a good shout.

But it has to be MALCOLM POSKETT

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Leon Knight for me. We had him on loan and he was banging in the goals for us, and then QPR tried to do an Alan Pardew and highjack our bid to sign him. Fortunately he picked the right club and led us to promotion that season.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Bobby Smith of Spurs and England fame....1963 I think.Couldn't believe he had signed for us!

Yes,that's the one.If only he hadn't brought his gambling and alcohol problems with him,eh?

(Though thought BZ would be good given the goals he'd been getting on loan.At Bath,Ithink.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here