Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Most Embarrasing Game as a BHA Fan?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Today we were totally shocking, no attempts on goal, spineless in nearly all areas and I am hurting as a BHA fan.

This must be my most embarassing game of watching Brighton in 30 years.

Can you think of any others?

.........Regrettably, I believe that we will be going down now. With Hereford having a game in hand, I suspect that we will drop to next to bottom soon

I can think of many worse.

We were not good but I can't think of another game so affected by injuries.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Palace 0-5 - the absolute worst!
Sudbury facup - lost the will to live
Mansfield facup - embarrasing
Walsall - losing to 9 men!

Crewe - Massive relegation , replace Elphick with Hinshelwood who was obviously injured himself and leave Cookie who looks somewhat very decent on the bench, apparently you make your own luck, Dick Knight take note!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Today we were totally shocking, no attempts on goal, spineless in nearly all areas and I am hurting as a BHA fan.

This must be my most embarassing game of watching Brighton in 30 years.

Can you think of any others?

.........Regrettably, I believe that we will be going down now. With Hereford having a game in hand, I suspect that we will drop to next to bottom soon

This post is laughable and just illustrates how short memories fans tend to have. Does anything come close to waiting 11 years to play your arch enemies, you turn up full of expectation because the team's not bad and we have a new Peter Ward. And then we get absolutely tonked 5-1.... Now that was embarrassing and still makes me cringe years later. 4-0 defeat to Crewe, mainly because the club's managerless? Doesn't even get in my top 100 mate after 25+years watching the Albion. Utter over-reaction

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
No, it was only 2-1. I thought we could pull it back in the 2nd. half.........

What was really embarrassing about the Bristol Rovers game was:

*We were expected to fly up the table having taken on Clough as Manager

*It was the main match on the Sunday afternoon football show the following day - and with Clough doing the Hansen bit. I seem to recall him calling Norman Gall a "very honest man".

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Portsmouth away in the 80's 1-0 through a Wilson penalty, then hit for 5 in the 2nd half. Willie Young torn apart by Mark Hateley, and got soaked for the pleasure.

The fact that that game against Pompey was away relegates it to 2nd worst for me behind the FA Cup 3-0 loss to Oxford mentioned on this thread by a couple of others.

3rd? Rochdale away November 1996. Lost 3-0. Ashley Neal et al.... I doubt we'll ever be as bad again. Mind you; I wasn't there yesterday......

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ahem, take a look at TV highlights on the relevent thread.....

.....then tell me I'm wrong!

Yeh, OK, I have....now - and my sincere apologies. I remember that game as if it were yesterday, but now I've seen the video (first time I've seen those 'highlights' and seeing those goals going in brings it all (painfully) back to me) - but it just shows how memory can play tricks on you, I could have sworn they were in the second half and we were only 2-1 down at half time.....

....You were right, I was wrong - but it was still a horrible experience.

I've still got the programme.......

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The 5-0 at Palace, and I wasn't even there. I was holed up in an internet cafe in China, I think, listening to SCR, shaking with nerves, wearing my Albion shirt and scarf. None of the nerds in there had a clue what I was so excited about, they'd never heard of Brighton & Hove Albion. So I did my best to put them straight. The passion, the hatred of Palace.... cue an abysmal 5-0 defeat. I've never been so gutted :lolol:

Interesting write-up from the Guardian, here, btw. Who trampled on the flowers? You hoolies :lolol:

Of their 12 consecutive league defeats, this is the one that will really hurt Brighton & Hove Albion. Crystal Palace hammered them from the very start, with Andy Johnson scoring a hat-trick and Dougie Freedman and Julian Gray chipping in to secure a first win for them after five draws.

Cast adrift at the bottom of Division One, Brighton have now been humiliated by the club they love to hate. Separated by 50 miles, their rivalry is as fierce as any found in football.

Having waited 13 years since their last meeting, it made sense to many supporters to start the day early, with Special Brew topping the breakfast menu. By lunchtime, there was heavy fighting around Thornton Heath train station and elsewhere. The kick-off was delayed for 15 minutes, helicopters buzzed overhead and riot police marched alongside mounted colleagues. There will be a few children who made their first and last trips to football yesterday.

Mind you, those in Brighton colours I saw trampling the plants outside a local florist must have been really hard. And who knows what goes through the minds of the Palace followers who occasionally stopped shouting 'We hate Brian' (it's the sarf London accent) to try to smash a press box window by way of celebrations.

Top marks to the stadium announcer, who told Brighton fans they would be locked in the ground afterwards for their own safety, before pausing to broadcast to Palace supporters that bars around the ground had been restocked with bottled beer. Refuelling and tooling close at hand.

Thankfully, the majority of fans were passionate without being poisonous and in an age when winning is everything, the Palace players deserved their victory. Johnson forced in the opening goal in the fourth minute after Tony Popovic headed down Gray's third corner and glanced in a header from another corner in the 35th minute.

Three goals in six second-half minutes was not an unfair reflection. Freedman scored from a penalty after Johnson had been tripped by Danny Cullip in the 51st minute. Brighton's Paul Brooker was sent off four minutes later and Freedman allowed Johnson to score his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Then Gray's left-foot shot to make it 5-0 in the 57th minute was the pick of the bunch.

What a shame for Brighton manager Steve Coppell in his second match in charge. He got a standing ovation in recognition of his 13 years and four spells as manager here, but I doubt if he will be back in a hurry.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The 0-5 at Crystal Palace was piss poor....much worse than losing 0-4 to Crewe.

This post is laughable and just illustrates how short memories fans tend to have. Does anything come close to waiting 11 years to play your arch enemies, you turn up full of expectation because the team's not bad and we have a new Peter Ward. And then we get absolutely tonked 5-1.... Now that was embarrassing and still makes me cringe years later. QUOTE]

WE SCORED A GOAL??????????????

Feck Me I must have missed it. And all this time I thought we had been stufffed 5-0.

Most embraresing defeat????? What riches to chose from.

How many time did we lose 4-0 at Brentford?

But I don;t think big defeats are embarressing when you are third from bottom. They are just normal.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have a memory of an 8-0 hammering by Northampton back in the late 60's/early 70's that still haunts me

and the first game in Division 1 against Arsenal was a horrible anti-climax that still hurts today

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This post is laughable and just illustrates how short memories fans tend to have. Does anything come close to waiting 11 years to play your arch enemies, you turn up full of expectation because the team's not bad and we have a new Peter Ward. And then we get absolutely tonked 5-1.... Now that was embarrassing and still makes me cringe years later. QUOTE]

WE SCORED A GOAL??????????????

Feck Me I must have missed it. And all this time I thought we had been stufffed 5-0.

Most embraresing defeat????? What riches to chose from.

How many time did we lose 4-0 at Brentford?

But I don;t think big defeats are embarressing when you are third from bottom. They are just normal.

See! I was so traumatised that I dreamt we scored a goal! I left early that day, it hurt so badly. And yes, I remember plenty of stuffings at Griffin Park; one 4-0 was on my birthday - thanks Albion, can always rely on you to do that.....:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here