Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your LEAST favourite band of the 80's

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The Associates, Simply Red, Human League, Go West......the list is endless, but the biggest pile of shite from the 80's has got to be Dr and the Medics

The Associates? No, don"t get that - and certainly not lumped in with the other piles of poo that you listed. Hey ho, each to their own I guess.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Associates? No, don"t get that - and certainly not lumped in with the other piles of poo that you listed. Hey ho, each to their own I guess.

Billy MacKenzie was a complete hat-stand, he could sing a bit, and 'Party Fears Too' was surely one of the singles of the decade.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought there were some good bands from the 80's Eurythmics , Level 42,Tears for Fears,Depeche Mode and I am sure there were more, but not fair to write off a whole decade. However, agreed there was some rubbish but you cannot seriously blame Maggie for that too

There was some GREAT music in the 80s but not from three of the bands you've named. I'll give you Depeche Mode though. It saw the birth of house and acid house and the popularisation of hip hop. Great post punk and ska bands. Madchester. Brilliant goth and indie music. However 75% of the stuff in the charts was utter gash.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Duran Duran - loathed them. A commercial, hyped and awful version of brilliant new wave music, with whining untalented vocals.

(Will probably get a reaction - I mentioned them or Le Bon once before on NSC, and their greatest fan couldn't believe they were disliked by anyone).

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
30 years later and everyone still remembers the songs and the bands.

I won't even remember the rubbish from the last 5 years come the end of this decade .

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Worst Band not, but I'm voting for U2 because of that preening, self-important git Bongo or whatever he called himself.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Billy MacKenzie was a complete hat-stand, he could sing a bit.

Kitchen Person was one of those records that the first time I heard it it stopped me in my tracks. I immediately took the single round to my mate's house and played it to him, saying you have to hear this.

I also loved Q Quarters, and White Car in Germany, and The Affectionate Punch.

Robert Smith of The Cure sang backing vocals on the last of those.

They also did a great cover of the 60s hit 'Kites' around that time that was released under the band name '39 Lyon Street'.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Dead heat between The Smiths and The Cure , absolutly could not stand either of those bands.
Did see the Cure support Siouxsie and the Banshees at the Centre , on the Join Hands tour . I quite liked their single 'The Forest' but then they went and released Love Cats and that killed them for me .

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Billy MacKenzie was a complete hat-stand, he could sing a bit, and 'Party Fears Too' was surely one of the singles of the decade.

It was his voice that made me hate them so much, I actually liked the music but his voice made me want to be deaf!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Spandau Ballet. Disgusting attitudes, shit music, and a lead singer with all the charisma of a provincial sales executive for an office supplies company.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Spandau Ballet. Disgusting attitudes, shit music, and a lead singer with all the charisma of a provincial sales executive for an office supplies company.

Yes, but to cut a long story short, they probably made enough money they didn't have to work 'til they were musclebound.

Or as James Blunt would have tweeted: "...and no mortgage."

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Might be the case for the Kemp boys who diversified, but Tony Hadley was reduced to doing cabaret in Tenerife by the 90's. Hoorah!

Its true
The Kemp Boys were able to push through the barricades and find further fame and gold.
Hadley was always too highly strung though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here