Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your First World Cup Memory

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
1958.Watched what was then on telly through to the final,when my Ma decided it was a nice day to go to the local outside pool for a swim.Now,I couldn't swim - still can't all that well (swimming is for the fishes) - so when I finally whinged and moaned enough I was allowed to RUN the 2.5 miles home and climb through a child sized window to get in............to see Brazil beat Sweden 5 - 3 in one of the best finals ever.

Mum's,eh !

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
'66, on holiday in a B&B in Bude, Cornwall.

Wasn't allowed to watch the final as it was adults only.

Some great memories of Brazil & england in '70, and some crap ones of a certain Gerd Muller

1954 Switzerland
Tom Finney, Billy Wright, Nat Lofthouse and a couple of the Busby babes had made the side in Roger Byrne and Tommy Taylor.
And Stan Matthews was the oldest player in the finals at age 39.
Thank goodness for that!

I was fearful that I might be the only person on NSC with a memory of watching the 1954 tournament on a black and white TV with a 9 inch screen.

I remember more about the 1958 tournament, though - partly because Wales were in it (which was a big deal for us Newport kids) and partly because one of the linesmen in the final was Mervyn Griffiths (or Mr Griffiths, as we called him), who taught at the primary school down the road from where I lived and (very big deal, this) who had also refereed a couple of school games that I had played in.

First tournament I attended was, of course, the 1966 one - where I saw all three group games at Villa Park (Argentina v Spain; Argentina v West Germany; and Spain v West Germany). The Argentinian fans were amazing and succeeded in getting most of us brummies on their side - only to blow it when they had the famous bust-up with Sir Alf and the England team. For some reason, though, I missed being at home for the final - and had to watch it on a TV screen in a shop window in Llandudno.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Thank goodness for that!

I was fearful that I might be the only person on NSC with a memory of watching the 1954 tournament on a black and white TV with a 9 inch screen.

I remember more about the 1958 tournament, though - partly because Wales were in it (which was a big deal for us Newport kids) and partly because one of the linesmen in the final was Mervyn Griffiths (or Mr Griffiths, as we called him), who taught at the primary school down the road from where I lived and (very big deal, this) who had also refereed a couple of school games that I had played in.

First tournament I attended was, of course, the 1966 one - where I saw all three group games at Villa Park (Argentina v Spain; Argentina v West Germany; and Spain v West Germany). The Argentinian fans were amazing and succeeded in getting most of us brummies on their side - only to blow it when they had the famous bust-up with Sir Alf and the England team. For some reason, though, I missed being at home for the final - and had to watch it on a TV screen in a shop window in Llandudno.

1958 Was the only time I can remember that England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all qualified together.
And Wales had the great Charles brothers playing for them. I don't think we will ever see those four countries qualifying together again.
As for 1966, I was only able to get one ticket and that was the famous England v Argentina. That was interesting for all the wrong reasons

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This flair machine

81338711.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mexico 1970 England 0 Brazil 1

[yt]CxczR1DUvWA[/yt]

1 minute 09 seconds into this clip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports