Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your First World Cup Memory

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I vaguely remember Brazil scoring in a group game ('94), the TV cutting to a replay of the goal, then cutting back to see Brazil had just scored again...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Uruaguay v England - opening match of 1966. I was off school for a couple of weeks, recovering from being knocked down by a motor bike and consequently being allowed to stay up late to watch the football. I also remember N Korea beating Italy and Brazil being kicked all over the park.

To me, it seemed the natural order of things when England won - I genuinely couldn't understand why it was treated as anything rather stating the obvious. How little I knew.

My first actual memory though was of the song "We all love him too, World Cup Willie. He's proud as a lion and never will give up, that's why Willie is favourite for the cup."

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Can only vaguely remember 1998, as I was only 6. 2002 is the one that I really remember. I was in Miami at the start of it, there were a load of Senegalise people going mental when they beat France, and was on the plane back when we beat the Argies!

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
Italia 90, ol' big ears sliding the ball home against Ireland, and sort of being bundled into the goal himself as well

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Cycling around the Knoll estate in Hove delivering papers on a hot July day in 1966. It was eerily quiet...

Got back home to enjoy the extra time and we all know the rest...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sweden '58 - watching highlights of the final and the new Brazilian wonder-kid Pele on the newsreel at the cinema

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Italia 90 - everyone thinking England might have to qualify from the group by drawing straws if certain results happened (i.e. drawing with t'Egypt)

Ray Houghton per chance???? Same as you. I remember pooing myself during those group games!!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Italia '90, I was 6, I remember sitting on my dad's knee watching the England - Germany semi, one of the few occasions my dad has paid any interest in football.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ireland 1-0 Italy. USA 1994.

Closely followed by Ireland's creulley disallowed goal against Holland in the second round.

This, was in Ireland with my Fathers (Irish) family at the time- just remember getting covered in Guinness as everyone jumped in the air.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
1954 Switzerland
Tom Finney, Billy Wright, Nat Lofthouse and a couple of the Busby babes had made the side in Roger Byrne and Tommy Taylor.
And Stan Matthews was the oldest player in the finals at age 39.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
1966. And only the final. No-one in my family was interested in football - but we watched the final.

But 1970 was the real deal for me. The coins, the song, as Gwylan says - England winning was simply the natural order. It was all fantastic. Except Leon. I am not sure I have ever recovered from that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

WC Quatre Final.

2-0 up. Lost 3-2

WHY did he take Charlton off!!!!????

First I saw live was in Spain in 82 - Bryan Robson scoring against France after 27 seconds.

First three gamew were in Bilbao - Steve Foster played in the third game against Kuwait.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Argentina 78. Peru beating Scotland, Don Masson missing a penalty, Tunisia beating Mexico, Luque's volley for Argentina, Willie Johnston getting sent home and me filling in my first World Cup wallchart.

Spain 82 I remember with much more clarity. As legendary as the latter stages were, the first rounds for the eventual finalist were toss. Italy drew their three games - scoring one goal. As for West Germany - f***ing hell. If you think Southampton/Spurs in 1978 was a stitch-up, it was nothing compared to West Germany v Austria in 1982. Then there was Schumacher in the semi-final against France...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

WC Quatre Final.

2-0 up. Lost 3-2

That was mine too. B+W telly in our front room in Hollingdean. I still have the sticker album complete in the loft somewhere, although a couple of the Uruguayans have facial hair drawn on by a pesky friend at the time. Remember the Esso coins too when we filled the lime green Ford Anglia up (it went kaput shortly after).

PG

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Argentina 78 - Gemill's goal, Scotland drawing with Iran and getting walloped by Peru.

Ossie Ardiles wearing the No 1 shirt as an outfield player.(i think)
Didn't he wear the No 2?

My earliest vague memory is the 70 World Cup - Brazil, Pele, Jairzinho.

1974 is more vivid - the West Germans with Gerd 'Der Bomber' Muller.

1978 with the ticker tape and my Argentina 78 t-shirt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here