NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Vague memories of Mexico '86.

Italia '90 was the best World Cup ever.

-The Cameroons
-Toto Schillachi
-Gazza's tears
-West Germany hammering every team in the group stage and Rudi Voller getting spat on by Frank Rijkaard.:)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Argentina 78. Collecting the Panini stickers, Archie Gemmill's goal and Willie Johnston getting sent home.
Ditto the above, also thinking what shit weather they have in Argentina, only to disciver a few years later the southern hemisphere enjoys winter during our summer

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
Watching Steve Foster play for England vs Kuwait in Spain 82. Seem to remember it was very hot in whichever part of Spain it was and none of the players ran very fast or very hard.

Then when I saw him play in the flesh when he came back to The Goldstone in the 90s I realised he actually didn't run very fast!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mexico 86 and the Panini sticker album, waiting ages for some Polish dude with a tash to complete the Album!

Same here, although the only thing I really remember clearly about the tournament itself was the England v Maradona game.

I was about nine at this point and the highlight for me and my playground chums was the fact that the sticker album featured a South Korean player called Cha Bum Kun.

Bum *snigger* Hey, it's hilarious when you're nine years old :lolol:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Mexico '70, England v Brazil. Jairzinho's celebration as the deadlock was broken; Frannie Lee's howler in front of goal; & THAT save by Mr Banks from a stunning Pelé header. Awesome.

Sometimes it pays to be an old fart. :thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was vaguely aware of the World Cup in 1962 as I remember my Dad and Grandad talking about it. My first memory is asking my Dad at about Christmas who won - and being surprised when he said Brazil. I didn't think any country other than England or Scotland could possibly be good at football.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
98 World Cup. I was in primary school at the time, and that's where I watched it. I remember a teacher having a go at us for booing the opposition!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think I might have seen the 78 final (I'd have been 6 years old) but not paid much attention.

I watched as much as I could of the 1982 finals. It seemed an awesome tournament (there were some great games) but in hindsight, some of it was so village in terms of organisation.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Very vaguely remember an Irish goal in Italia '90, which I am told was David O'Leary's penalty, but not well.

Went absolutely all-out for USA '94 though - sticker albums, wallcharts, watching every match.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Spain 82 and Robsons goal against France. I also have memories of a farce when France (I think) playing someone, got very messy with teams walking off the pitch after someone in the crowd blew a whistle and one team stopping, the other team scoring. From what I recall the ref. allowed the goal then the opposing team walked off so he changed his mind and the other team walked off ?.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Mexico 86. We played poland on my 12th birthday in a must win game. My parents let me stay up late to watch it because it was my birthday, must have kicked off 10 or 11. We won 3-0 and lineker scored a hat trick. Then paraguay in 2nd sound and maradona in qtrs

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Mexico '70, England v Brazil. Jairzinho's celebration as the deadlock was broken; Frannie Lee's howler in front of goal; & THAT save by Mr Banks from a stunning Pelé header. Awesome.

Sometimes it pays to be an old fart. :thumbsup:

You think you're an old fart???

I remember Pele scoring against Sweden in the 1958 final!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Scotland beating zaire 2-0 in 74... and will never forget asking my uncle why the Zaire wall (think it was the brazil game or yugo) could run at the free kick and kick the ball away!!:lolol: was 7.

If we include world cup qualifiers then it was England-Poland 73

Tomaszewski the clown... my first goalkeeeping hero... followed by Alan Rough in 76 and Koncilia in 78

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here