Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your First World Cup Memory

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
Well what was yours?

Mine was France 98 and rushing home from school to see Paul Scholes smash in a goal from 25 yards against Tunisa(sp)

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Argentina 78. Collecting the Panini stickers, Archie Gemmill's goal and Willie Johnston getting sent home.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Ireland 1-0 Italy. USA 1994.

Closely followed by Ireland's creulley disallowed goal against Holland in the second round.

I remember having an awareness about Gary Linekar being really good in the 1990 world cup, but not much more (I was only 5). I was really proud of my Gary Linekar football card!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mexico 1970 and that overated Pele and those Brazilian boys.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
France '98. Still probably my favourite world cup tournament, even though the others I have been able to get into pubs and drink. I remember having "football" days at primary school and watching the matches as we did classwork. Was immense.

I did love Euro '96 though.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Esso coins in 1970: I used to get really excited whenever my mum stopped to fill up the car. And `Back Home` - the finest footy song ever. On the pitch: clearest early memory was Emlyn Hughes' cross/shot which bounced on top of the Polish crossbar during our failed 1974 campaign. He looked like he was crying: so was I!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Mexico 86 and the Panini sticker album, waiting ages for some Polish dude with a tash to complete the Album!

Although I did have a Spain 82 mug with this cheeky little scamp on it, I don't really remember much about that tournament.

naranjito.th.gif

Naranjito

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
coming back on a ship from South africa in 1970.......there were a couple of blokes listening to a very crackly radio ( we were just off Africa) to the England v West Germany game and we were 2-0 up.

Oct 25, 2003
vaguely remember '94 but '98 was a decent tournament

-the REAL ronaldo blitzing shit up and then the whole "will he play?" stuff in the final

-bergkamp's goal vs argentina

-croatia being FLAIR

-the 'reggae boyz' with loads of average english league players like marcus gayle, fitzroy simpson, frank sinclair, robbie earle

-england UNLEASHING michael owen on the world

-everyone hating beckham

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Well what was yours?

Mine was France 98 and rushing home from school to see Paul Scholes smash in a goal from 25 yards against Tunisa(sp)
I remember seeing that in the school hall, with 100 other kids, watching on a 20" tv. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here