Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite UK football grounds.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
New build: St Marys. Didn't seem quite as soulles as the other new-builds I'd been to

Traditional: Loftus Road. Helped by the fact that the last time I went there I was slap bang at the front of the top tier right behind the goal. Almost looking directly down on to the keeper. No danger of feeling remote from the play here

Wild card: Aldershot. I like the covered terraced end split between home and away. Generates good noise between the 2 sets of fans. The only ground I've been to where you have to go in/out through the park. Particularly difficult when leaving in the dark.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
New build: Haven't found one yet that's really taken my breath away (not been to that many). Hopefully, it will be Falmer!

Traditional: The Hawthorns. Great atmosphere, a proper football ground.

Wildcard: Got to go with Cambridge as well. Love the city and the ground has some kind of ramshackle charm. Honourable mention for Exeter, too.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
New. M.K Dons. Hate the time but liked the stadium.

Old. Villa Park. Love it

Wildcard Wycombe, Middle of nowhere, and lots of goals :lolol:

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
It's a shit heap full of old tarts and pikeys...

:thumbsup: Your not wrong there mate, needless to say it was years ago.

New Build....Falmer........not just the obvious but i think it is a stunning looking arena...even this far into the build.

Old......Villa Park.......Traditional, but new and tidy, huge and great atmosphere.....lovely ground.

Wild card........Loftus Road......always like going there.....new type of stadium in a seventies retro sort of way......real football ground....great for away atmosphere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What does everyone think of The Emirates. I`m off there tomorrow to see the Arsenal play WHU. looking forward to seeing the ground with my lad. Its gone up a bit since I last went to an Arses home game.

Funnily enough (well, not hilarious), thats the same fixture I went to last year. Its an impressive stadium, nice padded seats, but wrap up warm. The wind WHISTLES through that bastard like a goodun.

Oh and if you think the crowd at Withdean are miserable bastards, you've not seen nuffin till you've sat amongst the Gooners. They were giving Eboue dogs abuse from the first minute, and actually CHEERED when he got stretchered off injured.

:facepalm:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Funnily enough (well, not hilarious), thats the same fixture I went to last year. Its an impressive stadium, nice padded seats, but wrap up warm. The wind WHISTLES through that bastard like a goodun.

Oh and if you think the crowd at Withdean are miserable bastards, you've not seen nuffin till you've sat amongst the Gooners. They were giving Eboue dogs abuse from the first minute, and actually CHEERED when he got stretchered off injured.

:facepalm:

Their fans are shocking, I honestly think 10,000 Millwall fans make more noise than 60,000 Arsehole fans do at the Emirates. If your lucky you might witness their rendition of 'STAND UP IF YOU HATE TOTTENHAM'

It is a nice stadium though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
A bit nearer home but deff not one of our favorite places............Selhurst Park. Well i used to go to a nightclub there when dating a girl from Brixton and when one of the fire exits was open on hot summer nights you could see the P*l*ce flag fluttering only a few metres away. Made me feel pysically sick:facepalm: or was it the 10 pints of Guinness :wozza: For the life of me i cant remember the name of the place..........oh yes i can Christals???
I knew that place, it's nickname was jurassic park :lolol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
New ones - Withdean (but that's only because we play there. Then it will be Falmer. The reebok at Bolton was quite good, but then they started being rubbish. Actually the redeveloped Stamford Bridge has been done quite well considering the geography! Good atmosphere now from the Chavs.

Old ones - Craven Cottage (good call MoH), Brisbane Road if they could ever fill it Spotland at Rochdale, Firhill in Glasgow
serious question, are you saying there is a good atmosphere at stamford bridge ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I may be talking utter bolox and would like to have it confirmed but I do seem to remember that the main stand at Wimbledon's Plough Lane - a de facto non-league ground throughout its existence no matter what league they were in - containing a small, dark nightclub through which you walked to your seats to watch the hammer throwers in action.

What can it have been like on, say, a dank Friday night, this tiny nightclub with wooden seats bolted to its sloping roof? As I recall pre-match Dons drinkers would obviously use it as a pub but the predominantly all-male environment and general small dark nightclub feel must have made it seem like quite the GAYEST of all football ground settings, at least before Falmer opens of course.

Did I dream all this? I did eat cheese last night.
I am pretty sure you're on about Nelsons, the nightclub which was part of wimbledon stadium, home of sppedway and the dogtrack, not plough lane which was about 1/4 mile further along.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
New Build:The Reebok, been to two games there, good views, good atmosphere (even if nobody turns up) and it looks pretty good from the outside.
Traditional:Bootham Crescent, York. Nice away terrace, reasonable view and friendly fans.
Wildcard:The Galpharm, Huddersfield never had a bad day there, even that game was a good laugh rather than a bad experience

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Traditional - Villa Park - for the way they've kept the traditional look of the (awesome) Holte End & Trinity Rd stands.

Nothing traditional about the new Trinity Road stand, no where near as aesthetically pleasing as the old one!

Anyway, for me:

New - StadiumMK *hangs head in shame*

Traditional - White Hart Lane

Wildcard - Kenilworth Road

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I am pretty sure you're on about Nelsons, the nightclub which was part of wimbledon stadium, home of sppedway and the dogtrack, not plough lane which was about 1/4 mile further along.

No I've never been to Wimbledon dog track but I saw us(Brighton) play at Plough Lane in about 1985 and sat in the main stand. TWO south London dodgy nightclubs based in grotty sports venues? The glamour of it...

Good to see Kenilworth Road picking up some wildcard votes; always a favourite of mine: football grounds should be in town centres...as long as it's not your back garden that the away fans are traipsing through.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No I've never been to Wimbledon dog track but I saw us(Brighton) play at Plough Lane in about 1985 and sat in the main stand. TWO south London dodgy nightclubs based in grotty sports venues? The glamour of it...

Good to see Kenilworth Road picking up some wildcard votes; always a favourite of mine: football grounds should be in town centres...as long as it's not your back garden that the away fans are traipsing through.
Did you see that i received my invite for the argus party this year?? Thought you'd be delighted :lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Did you see that i received my invite for the argus party this year?? Thought you'd be delighted :lolol:

Excellent, I certainly am. Let me know when you accept and I'll make sure that they get some more booze in. It's the night before my 40th birthday...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
New Build: St Mary's
Old Ground: White Hart Lane
Wild Card: Kidderminster Harriers (Aggborough?)

I know, so odd!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
serious question, are you saying there is a good atmosphere at stamford bridge ?
I've been to the 'new' Bridge twice (both with Newcastle) and I have to say I thought the atmosphere was ok, indeed I'd go as far as to say it was 'very good' for a modern ground. It was certainly better than the 'new' White Hart Lane, probably better than West Ham and miles ahead of Craven Cottage and Highbury (haven't been to the Emirates). It was certainly LOADS better than when I went a few times in the 1980s.

I don't think it was as good as it was in the late sixties and early seventies, but that just might be my age. Rose tinted spectacles and all that.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I've been to the 'new' Bridge twice (both with Newcastle) and I have to say I thought the atmosphere was ok, indeed I'd go as far as to say it was 'very good' for a modern ground. It was certainly better than the 'new' White Hart Lane, probably better than West Ham and miles ahead of Craven Cottage and Highbury (haven't been to the Emirates). It was certainly LOADS better than when I went a few times in the 1980s.

I don't think it was as good as it was in the late sixties and early seventies, but that just might be my age. Rose tinted spectacles and all that.

I've been to the Bridge 6 or 7 times and I felt the atmosphere was better pre Abramovich(sp) but i guess it depends on the game, I dare say a Tottenham game would be pretty epic? A few of the games I went to were cup matches too which can make for a somewhat flat atmosphere.

A great stadium though and an extrodinary number of drinking holes catering for all tastes.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've been to the Bridge 6 or 7 times and I felt the atmosphere was better pre Abramovich(sp) but i guess it depends on the game, I dare say a Tottenham game would be pretty epic? A few of the games I went to were cup matches too which can make for a somewhat flat atmosphere.

A great stadium though and an extrodinary number of drinking holes catering for all tastes.
Leaving aside a few epic Brighton games there I went to the 'old' White Hart Lane a few times in the 1980s when I was working in London and, yes, it was good. My memories of what it used to be like are the reason I'm so disappointed with the ground now - absolutely no character.

I've seen a lot of changes at Stamford Bridge over the years (I used to be a Chelsea fan when I was a boy) - when I first went there in 1967 it still had a dog track! The 1980s was definitely the worst time, it still had the 'oval' shape, the crappy old West Stand, the out-of-place East Stand and the uncovered away end. Plus the crowds were shit and the whole thing made Withdean look appealing. My brother (who stayed a Chelsea fan when I became a Brighton fan) reckons the atmosphere at the Bridge now is as good as it ever was (he goes in the Matthew Harding stand). Mind you my mum wouldn't let him go in the 'good old days' (late sixties early seventies) as he was too young! So he doesn't really know what he's talking about!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here