Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite UK football grounds.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
cullisinsideti5.jpg

I love the way when it was rebuilt they didn't go for one of these identikit stadiums, they kept four seperate stands, and it's all so yellow and instantly recognisable, not to mention smack bang in the middle of the city.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I may be talking utter bolox and would like to have it confirmed but I do seem to remember that the main stand at Wimbledon's Plough Lane - a de facto non-league ground throughout its existence no matter what league they were in - containing a small, dark nightclub through which you walked to your seats to watch the hammer throwers in action.

What can it have been like on, say, a dank Friday night, this tiny nightclub with wooden seats bolted to its sloping roof? As I recall pre-match Dons drinkers would obviously use it as a pub but the predominantly all-male environment and general small dark nightclub feel must have made it seem like quite the GAYEST of all football ground settings, at least before Falmer opens of course.

Did I dream all this? I did eat cheese last night.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I love the way when it was rebuilt they didn't go for one of these identikit stadiums, they kept four seperate stands, and it's all so yellow and instantly recognisable, not to mention smack bang in the middle of the city.

Being a adoptive local, Molineux is close to my heart. However, I hate the distance the stands are from the pitch. Did you know that you could fit a regulation pitch in sideways at Molineux.

I agree with you though, it will be a shame to see the North (Stand Cullis) stand pulled down and rebuilt to fill in the corners. At least there are no plans to molest the South bank in such a way.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
new build: Falmer!!!

Traditional: Wolves

Wild Card: WBA - Great atmosphere

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
New Build: St Mary's - Southampton. I like it because it replaces an absolute shithole, especially the away end

Traditional: City Ground, Nottingham or Craven Cottage, Fulham. Both lovely old school grounds by the river, with decent boozers near by.

Wildcard: Would have been Shrewsbury but they've since moved, so now I'd say Bootham Crescent, York.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Being a adoptive local, Molineux is close to my heart. However, I hate the distance the stands are from the pitch. Did you know that you could fit a regulation pitch in sideways at Molineux.
You should have seen Molineux when it was just the main stand, the large terracing behind the goal that was set slanting away from the pitch, and two stands that were literally derelict and lying idle. :nono:

New ones - Withdean (but that's only because we play there. Then it will be Falmer. The reebok at Bolton was quite good, but then they started being rubbish. Actually the redeveloped Stamford Bridge has been done quite well considering the geography! Good atmosphere now from the Chavs.

Old ones - Craven Cottage (good call MoH), Brisbane Road if they could ever fill it Spotland at Rochdale, Firhill in Glasgow

You should have seen Molineux when it was just the main stand, the large terracing behind the goal that was set slanting away from the pitch, and two stands that were literally derelict and lying idle. :nono:

and the terracing behind the goal that was four feet lower than the pitch level:eek:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What does everyone think of The Emirates. I`m off there tomorrow to see the Arsenal play WHU. looking forward to seeing the ground with my lad. Its gone up a bit since I last went to an Arses home game.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
New - Wembley, nothing comes close. (Hulls 2nd)
Traditional - Peterborough
Wildcard - blackpool

Last edited:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
New Build: St Mary's - Southampton. Saints are what could be called my '2nd team' [1976 and all that] so I occasionally venture down with a mate who's a big supporter. Of course, the last trip down on Gus's birthday holds pretty special memories.

Traditional: Villa Park. Aside from our recent adventure, I go there when visiting rellies in the Black Country. Great atmosphere and a good club.

Wildcard: Withdean. I know people hate it but on a blazing hot early/late season match there's no better place to watch a game of football in my humble opinion. And before you start going on about 'atmosphere', when Albion play well the atmosphere picks up. There's also the issue of it being the place my kids saw their first Albion games. I'm actually going to miss it. There - I've said it.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
New Build: St Mary's - Southampton. Saints are what could be called my '2nd team' [1976 and all that] so I occasionally venture down with a mate who's a big supporter. Of course, the last trip down on Gus's birthday holds pretty special memories.

Traditional: Villa Park. Aside from our recent adventure, I go there when visiting rellies in the Black Country. Great atmosphere and a good club.

Wildcard: Withdean. I know people hate it but on a blazing hot early/late season match there's no better place to watch a game of football in my humble opinion. And before you start going on about 'atmosphere', when Albion play well the atmosphere picks up. There's also the issue of it being the place my kids saw their first Albion games. I'm actually going to miss it. There - I've said it.

You're joking?!

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
New - Falmer obviously
Traditional - always enjoyed Craven Cottage
Wildcard - Torquay - no idea why except we win when I go there

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
New build: MK Dons, OK it's a long walk from the station, it's not finished and it's a synthetic club, but it's different and class.
Traditional: Peterbro, just about the only ground not massively changed over the last 25yrs.
Wild Card: Charlton: unrecognisable from the early 70's but still a ground with great atmosphere and close to public transport.

corkster

Apr 26, 2007
on the streets

i rememeber that late 90's standing on the south bank loads of albion we won, i think codnor scored then it kicked off in the stand

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i rememeber that late 90's standing on the south bank loads of albion we won, i think codnor scored then it kicked off in the stand

I remember earlier than that, when one Tuesday evening we went up there and won 1-0 ( 1981/2).

It was fun trying to get back to the station:facepalm:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My all time favorite was Shrewsbury's Gay Meadow. I like the town and I loved the old ground, especially the abc score box in the corner which told you the scores from around the country (if you had a programme with the key to which game was which score). I like Wrexham's ground as well, I guess I'm a traditionalist.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I used to really love the old White Hart Lane; it was a proper football ground. The rebuild is just soulless.

For traditional grounds I quite like Upton Park and Craven Cottage as they've both kept their traditional feel. For the totally rebuilt grounds I quite like Stamford Bridge. Like White Hart Lane it's changed out of all recognition from how it was back in the 1970s, but unlike WHL I think it's got a little bit of character - although the loss of the Shed End and its replacement with what is virtually a wall with seats was sad. Still, I guess they had to fit the hotel and the superstore in somewhere.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
new build: the emirates, plus special mention too for the ricoh arena was slightly different architecturally to the other recent new builds
traditional: baseball ground derby. proper football ground. but as that doesn't exist anymore i'll go with white hart lane
wild card: kenilworth road. most people hate it but i love the idiosyncrasies and location, tucked into rows of terraced houses close to the town centre. football as it used to be and should be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here