Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite UK football grounds.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I know this has probably been done several times before but I thought it would be a good time waster whilst we wait for Jack straws falmer thread!

It doesn’t have to be about size, architecture or state of the art facilities and you don’t even have to have visited the place, just your favourites under the following categories;

New build; Not necessarily built recently but your favourite purpose built arena.

Traditional; whether it is uber modernised like old Trafford or pretty much unchanged for 50 years.

Wild card; A stadium that isn’t necessarily going to win any design awards and it might even be home to a non league minnow.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/images/football_ground_guide_logo7.jpg

For me;

Newbie; The Reebok stadium, Bolton.
A load of interesting tubular steel and beautiful curved terracing.

Traditional; Stamford Bridge, Chelsea.
Love the place, great mix of old and new and of a decent size.

Wildcard;
London Road, Peterborough.
A bit rough round the edges and a million miles away from being a comfortable modern stadium but a massive terrace and bags of charm.

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
New Build: Ricoh Arena, Coventry City

Traditional: Hillsborough, Sheffield Wednesday

Wildcard: The Shay, FC Halifax Town

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Haven't been to very many of the 92, but:

New The Ricoh Arena was nice.

Traditional Only been to Bramall Lane once, but it had a proper good atmosphere.

Wildcard Crewe, yes Crewe. By an absolute country mile this is my favourite away ground. I can't tell you why, I know it is a dump. I just love the fact that the away fans run the length of the pitch in a shallow stand generating massive noise. I love the fact you have to come out of the back of the stands to get to the catering outlet. And, I love how close you are to the action.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
New Build: Reading. It does and can generate a good atmosphere. Tragically, not with that lot.

Traditional: Ipswich Town. I know to avoid the aisles when we score. :eek:

Wildcard: Leyton Orient. Hilarious seating arrangement which means you have to stand.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
New - Falmer!

Traditional - Villa Park - for the way they've kept the traditional look of the (awesome) Holte End & Trinity Rd stands.

Wild Card - Posh's London Rd.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
new build: Wembley

Traditional: Turf moor

Wild Card: prenton park

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
New build - only Falmer. Otherwise they're all pretty crappy
Traditional - difficult one; I'll PLUMP for Craven Cottage
Wild card - Chesterfield. I know, the town's a dump and their fans vile but when we played there in that game when Charlie Oatway got sent off I remember thinking "someone should put a ground like this in a museum because in 20 years time no-one will believe that football used to be played in places like this". And it was good to see that acknowledged by its use in The Damned United film.

new-millenium stadium is the only real "new" stadium i've ben to

traditional-The Valley, i just love the place

wildcard- my favourite non-league ground apart from Woodside, which is Dulwich Hamlet, nice big stand, decent location despite being next to Croydon, and a top bunch of fans who are always up for a supporters game :thumbsup: can't speak highly enough of them

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
New build: Wembley. Just awesome.

Traditional: Villa Park. As mentioned above, its great how they've modernised it AND kept its character. Always wanted to visit that ground, and I wasn't disappointed.

Wild card: Port Vale. Big ground for a minnow team, and how many other clubs have their own NIGHTCLUB built into the ground ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
New - Not surprisingly Huddersfield

Traditional - The Valley

Wildcard - I have a soft spot for cambridge....there was something really rustic about the ground

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I have a soft spot for cambridge....there was something really rustic about the ground

Agreed. If there's another ground where from a certain approach you have to walk over a cattle grid to get to it, I want to know.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We used to park about 2 mines away and then ended up walking across that huge field. It was all going well one year when one of our happy bunch stepped on a huge cow pat....he was wearing brand new white trainers, which one ended up looking like a welly boot covered in crap.

It was a very funny episode until after the game he sat in the back of the car and I had to have it professionally cleaned to get rid of the crap and the smell

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Wild card: Port Vale. Big ground for a minnow team, and how many other clubs have their own NIGHTCLUB built into the ground ?

A bit nearer home but deff not one of our favorite places............Selhurst Park. Well i used to go to a nightclub there when dating a girl from Brixton and when one of the fire exits was open on hot summer nights you could see the P*l*ce flag fluttering only a few metres away. Made me feel pysically sick:facepalm: or was it the 10 pints of Guinness :wozza: For the life of me i cant remember the name of the place..........oh yes i can Christals???

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A bit nearer home but deff not one of our favorite places............Selhurst Park. Well i used to go to a nightclub there when dating a girl from Brixton and when one of the fire exits was open on hot summer nights you could see the P*l*ce flag fluttering only a few metres away. Made me feel pysically sick:facepalm: or was it the 10 pints of Guinness :wozza: For the life of me i cant remember the name of the place..........oh yes i can Christals???

It's a shit heap full of old tarts and pikeys...

Attachments

• 10653085.jpg
    10653085.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 425

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here