Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite Things About Football?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
watching my little boy take to the game, despite being surrounded by AFL, like a duck to water

good on you and your little boy, when i was out there for a year i went to a lower league game, somewhere in perth or outside of it watching one of the guys from our backpackers hostel play for a semi-pro team, most of the footballers were croations, the aussies are simply not intersted in footy, or as they call it wog-ball or soccer or fag sport. as for AFL i went to a game with a mate and was soooooooooo bored i left before half time.

good luck to your lad with the footy and well done for not turning to AFL

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Sky/Authorities changing games from a Saturday to Sunday/midweek games...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I love talking to fans of other clubs, because we're all playing the same game just a little bit differently! I love knowing what other clubs are up to, and what they think of our club. I love how different clubs are, but we're all essentially the same as fans. I love that.

I also love left footed screamers at the park, smashing a penalty into the same corner EVERY time to piss off your mates at the park, putting in a random but ridiculous two footed challenge when just having a kick around, turning up for every kick about in a different shirt to keep them guessing and finally, of course, being the top scorer in your 5 a side team. All these things, I do so love about football (playing). :love:

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
This may sound perverse but I always at the Goldstone used to get a weird kick out of watching a couple of hundred away fans who had traveled from the deepest, darkest backwaters of Grimsby or some other non-descript town that noone in their right mind would wants to live in and its OWN residents DESPISE on a Tuesday night going apeshit when their team scored (By Christ that was a long sentence). In fact I savoured it. Because I could relate to the total RUSH they were experiencing.

In short away, days are where it is at, even if you travel the length of the country only to find out the game is off. Newcastle 90-91 springs immediately to mind. Newky Brown all the way up, getting kicked out of the Strawberry for skinning up, Pizza Hut, banter with the local skanks and then more Newky on the train back. Kebabs at 2 a.m. on arrival home. The football is just a sideshow sometimes but I was THERE.

Different times, kids, different times.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Driving home from a game, when your team has won, listening to R5 and cheering when they read your result out!
Explaining to plastics why you don't support a team who play in the Premiership, but follow one that is local to where you live or grew up...in full knowledge that they can't compete with your rationale.
FA Cup round 3.

Last edited:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Celebrating a goal (preferably a winner) 200 miles+ away from your home.
Pitch invasions :yahoo:
The fans
Seeing how happy players and fans are when your team score.
Beating palace.
A good old fashioned away day, with the pre-match chinese buffet ofcourse :love:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Coming up with a suitable reply when the Mrs asks why it took ten hours to get back from Brentford.

:drink: :)

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I think you've just about said it all. I would also add:

One man pitch invasions
Jimmy Bullard
Ref getting hit by the ball
When a Newcastle player nearly knocked Titus Bramble out by whacking the ball into his face
Linesman falling over

You're a sadist.

Mine are:

1. Matchday - the buzz of anticipation before a game, whether playing or watching
2. Early round FA Cup games.
3. Centre midfielders who don't really have any attributes other than passing, but they have made such an artform of it that it is enough on its own to guarantee their place in the team.
4. Trying to work out which are the 12 gay Premiership footballers that Paul Elliott alleged he knew of (Kevin Davies is DEFINITELY one).
5. Amazing comebacks.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I love those goals when you KNOW its a goal well before the ball ripples the net. Sometimes you just get that perfect viewpoint when you can see its on target/curling in all the way, and its going to be well beyond the despairing dive of the keeper.

Sadly the latest one of these I can vividly recall was Orients 2nd in the last minute at Brisbane Road last season :down:

Having read your opening paragraph I was about to say "what about Sean Thornton last season?" That was absolutely ruddy horrible.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
The first glimpse of a football ground you've never visited before.

Coming out of the dark from within the stand into the open air and seeing the pitch below you.

Floodlight pylons seen from a train - a rare sight these days.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
I think you've just about said it all. I would also add:

One man pitch invasions
Jimmy Bullard
Ref getting hit by the ball
When a Newcastle player nearly knocked Titus Bramble out by whacking the ball into his face
Linesman falling over

Wasn't it Laurent Robert and Oliver Bernard??

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
5. Amazing comebacks.

I love those, especially when it is a game you didnt really have any intention of watching and support neither team, but you watched because it was on telly.

You then find yourself cheering on the team on the come back and scream with joy at the telly when the come back is complete

examples being

[yt]PkKzUUjER_4[/yt]

[yt]eTz0lr9BwCk[/yt]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Carlos%2BValderama.jpg

scorpion.gif

Outrageous hair and outrageous skill.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
I love seeing goals that hit the cross bar before bouncing over the line, just like this
[yt]tDx-KUGVGMk[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here