Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Brighton match of all time?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Next to the FA Cup semi final win against Sheffield Wednesday, it has to be a night match ... a 1-0 win against the 'mighty Portsmouth' in the old League Cup in 1969.
We were struggling in Div 3 and Pompey were giants in Div 2.
We tore at them with Kit Napier running rings around their defence and the massive Alex Dawson climbing high the head the winner.
From memory there were more than 25,000 there for a Round One encounter and the North Stand was teaming and surging forward with every attack.
A brilliant night, superb match and great result

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Very random, but amongst my top games was a 1st round league cup away leg at Wycombe in 1994, on a warm late summer's evening. We won 3-1 and were CLASS.
Nogan (2) & McDougald scored for Brady's boys and we could easily have had 10.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Albion 0 Preston North End 4. October 1974. Preston were managed by Bobby Charlton and half of Man U's 1968 European Cup-winning side were in their team.

Albion v Stoke City. October 1975. The club's 75th-anniversary testimonial. It was the first time I'd seen top-flight players at the Goldstone. That night, Stoke's side contained players like Peter Shilton, Geoff Hurst and Mike Pejic.

I remember that Preston game...we had only just moved to Brighton ( in the summer of 74) and it was one of the first few games we saw and then only went to see Bobby Charlton....it took a while to get to support Brighton

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Anyone remember game against Rochdale at end of 1972 season,I think.We needed a point to go up from div3 and Rochdale needed a point to stay up.It may have been John Templeman who put us in the lead.....Rochdale equalised ..... everyone happy with a 1-1 draw.
Crowd of over 34,000 with upto 3000 unable to get in!!!Great memories.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I change my mind every time I think of it but for the moment - April 15 1978 Albion 3 Spurs 1 , 30 odd thousand at the Goldstone ,promotion 6 pointer, hostile atmosphere, that game had everything & we pissed all over them.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Brighton 2-1 Bristol Rovers. Last game of the 1987-88 season to secure automatic promotion. As a 16 year old at the time to run on to the pitch after the game was absoultely superb !!!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Can't remember the game, but it was at The Goldstone and we were losing 0-1 and I was standing on the West Terrace North and I said to myself I'd buy a replica shirt from the mobile club shop there (?) if we won.

We knocked in two goals late on and I left elated and about £25 lighter :ohmy:

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Well for me what sums up BHAFC

The 3-2 replay with Liverpool (after the 2-2) that we lost.

Mick Small disallowed goal (for what?)
Going 2-1 up in extra time. Thanks Byrne!

But losing 3-2.

A great game and sums up in a nutshell what its like to be an Albion fan. The hope, the drama, the dashed dreams.

I hated Liverpool for ages after that because we would have been on the box in the next round against Everton.

We had them on the rack till Molby came on.:down:

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Well for me what sums up BHAFC

The 3-2 replay with Liverpool (after the 2-2) that we lost.

Mick Small disallowed goal (for what?)
Going 2-1 up in extra time. Thanks Byrne!

But losing 3-2.

A great game and sums up in a nutshell what its like to be an Albion fan. The hope, the drama, the dashed dreams.

I hated Liverpool for ages after that because we would have been on the box in the next round against Everton.

Went to both those games.

Remember a pair of Scousers we were talking to before the game at Anfield in a pub downing about seven pints of Guiness each in about an hour...

And can still see McMahon scoring the winner at The Goldstone at the North Stand End :censored:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
4-1 v Millwall in the play offs.They stuffed us 3-0 in the league and went one up and we looked out of it with the second leg to come at cold blow lane,then just on half time Mark Barham nets and the rest is history.You could just smell the twin towers.I was still shaking with excitement that evening.
Also enjoyed Peterborough away in the cup in 1986.The best atmosphere i have ever been too.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Ward and Mellor taking Div 1(in old money) West Brom apart (were we div 2 or 3?)at the Hawthorn's in the league cup is an absolute highlight recently recalled by the death of Ron Pavey.I only got on one of the two sold out football specials at the last moment(I had gone for a drink with friends booked on the train) due to Ron recognising me as an away regular.
A great day and a well deserved victory.

by a sheer fluke, someone is ebaying the programe(no,it is not me)
Page Not Responding

click it. it works, dont know why it says that

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Some faves:

6-1 (Carlisle) and 3-5 (Charlton) in my first proper season supporting the Albion - 85-86.
4-4 with Orient
1-0 against Cheaterfield to seal the title
4-1 against Wolves in 2003 - my first game after nearly two years in exile in Oz and we turn on the style

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
That is a very good call but the 2-1 away win to Liverpool in 83 is my most memorable apart from the cup final itself. 45k quiet scousers had to be heard to be believed...as an aside, had just settled down to watch the 83 final having rented it from Blockbuster.com and the Dvd only has the replay on it! Not amused....

st3v3b

Feb 2, 2009
Liverpool 2-2 Albion.

At Anfield in the cup. We were 2-0 down but Small and Byrne both scored to get them back to the Goldstone (which was another great game that we unfortunately lost in extra time).

I'd pick that one too. For the excitement of coming back from 2-0 down and for Johnny Crumplin living up to his nickname - he really was a football genius for marking John Barnes out the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here