Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Brighton match of all time?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think my favourite ever game was the cup semi-final. As a 14 year I distinctly remember standing with my father in the sun at the end of a thrilling game, the balloon in my hands resonating with the sound of the crowd and total amazement that we were going to Wembley and to be in the famous FA Cup Final. It really was the stuff dreams were made of at that age. The Cup final was the big time in 83.

...But one of my all time favourites is is a bit obscure but it was absolutely brilliant. Beating Ipswich 2-1 in the league cup in 1977 when Graham Cross got a last minute winner. We were in the 3rd Div; they were in the 1st. I was in the N Stand and I just remember the whole place going absolutely mental. A great night!

I remember that game well. Wardy left a couple of England defenders sitting in the dust on their arses! I was in the South Stand for that match, and I believe we scored the winner in the North. Cross was mustard, a veteran defender but his economy of movement by being in the right position and predicting play enabled him to still be a brilliant player to the end of his playing career.

Wasn't that the cup run where we got Arsenal in the next round at The Goldstone? Charlie George hit wide of the goal in the first 30 seconds, one-on-one against Peter Grummitt, and got jeered by the whole ground (well, perhaps not by the away fans) :tosser: :laugh:

Those were the best times to watch The Albion, with headlines in the daily's while we were in the 3rd Division!
He shot, and sure enough - he scored!
The "Seagulls" chant was louder and prouder then, so I look forward to hearing and singing it with such enthusiasm again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't that the cup run where we got Arsenal in the next round at The Goldstone? Charlie George hit wide of the goal in the first 30 seconds, one-on-one against Peter Grummitt, and got jeered by the whole ground (well, perhaps not by the away fans) :tosser: :laugh:

Afraid not. We got West Brom away and beat them 2-0. They were of course in the top flight then and a very good team with the likes of Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham etc. We then got Derby at home for whom Charlie George was then playing. He missed and we went down the other end and scored. They equalised and I think beat us 2-1 in the replay.

Afraid not. We got West Brom away and beat them 2-0. They were of course in the top flight then and a very good team with the likes of Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham etc. We then got Derby at home for whom Charlie George was then playing. He missed and we went down the other end and scored. They equalised and I think beat us 2-1 in the replay.

Ah the mists of time lifted, thanks. I went to that Derby replay too. The most cramped ground I ever had the displeasure of visiting

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Surprised nobody has mentioned Boxing Day 1978. Brighton 3, Team of the eighties 0.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
FA Cup Round 5 - January 1983

Liverpool 1
Brighton & Hove Albion 2

The greatest ever BHAFC without a doubt.

I agree 100%, I'm sure anybody else who was there would also say it was the greatest win ever, it was way better even than the semi or the final.

Liverpool were at the height of their power at the time; European champions, top of the league by miles, they hadn't lost a home cup match of any sort in years, we beat arguably their best ever team in an incredible match.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Beating Ipswich at the Goldstone to get into the play offs in '91

Seconded. Wilkins last minute free kick, Football Genius giving away a pen, hearing on the radio that Barnsley fans had invaded the pitch and were celebrating because they thought we had only drew. I was on the East terrace. Never seen them all celebrate as much as when that free kick went in. The 4-1 V Millwall in the next game was almost as good.

In the last few years the 4-1 away at Orient was a blinder and dicking Rushden and Diamonds at their place sticks in the mind. As well as I ever saw Coppell’s Brighton team play.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Too many to remember,but 3-1 away win at Newcastle,in 1979, to win promotion to the old 1st division has to be up there.
So many great memories of Wardy et al at the Goldstone Ground,during the glory years.....although it seems ages ago I can still recall the sheer excitement of many of the games!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree 100%, I'm sure anybody else who was there would also say it was the greatest win ever, it was way better even than the semi or the final.

Liverpool were at the height of their power at the time; European champions, top of the league by miles, they hadn't lost a home cup match of any sort in years, we beat arguably their best ever team in an incredible match.

I think the actual result etc was possibly the best we have done, however I think playing in what at that time was one of three global football events ( World Cup Final, European Cup Final and FA Cup Final) was the pinnacle of what we have ever done as a football club ( and possibly ever will) For that reason, personally I thought that was the best day we have ever had

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Liverpool 1 BHA 2 1983 That's the one for me. Remember being fascinated watching the Kop to see if anyone was pissing down a rolled up newspaper. (Once you were in you couldn't get out.) :eek:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Albion 0 Preston North End 4. October 1974. Preston were managed by Bobby Charlton and half of Man U's 1968 European Cup-winning side were in their team.

Albion v Stoke City. October 1975. The club's 75th-anniversary testimonial. It was the first time I'd seen top-flight players at the Goldstone. That night, Stoke's side contained players like Peter Shilton, Geoff Hurst and Mike Pejic.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well for me what sums up BHAFC

The 3-2 replay with Liverpool (after the 2-2) that we lost.

Mick Small disallowed goal (for what?)
Going 2-1 up in extra time. Thanks Byrne!

But losing 3-2.

A great game and sums up in a nutshell what its like to be an Albion fan. The hope, the drama, the dashed dreams.

I hated Liverpool for ages after that because we would have been on the box in the next round against Everton.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think the actual result etc was possibly the best we have done, however I think playing in what at that time was one of three global football events ( World Cup Final, European Cup Final and FA Cup Final) was the pinnacle of what we have ever done as a football club ( and possibly ever will) For that reason, personally I thought that was the best day we have ever had

Actually the 1-0 victory at Anfield in the league in March 1982 rates more highly than the cup tie as we were going to the top teams and expecting good results like beating Keegans Southampton 2-0 away as well as beating Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs that season.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Sheff Wed at the Goldstone, end of season 76/77 (a season in which we only lost one home match) and we had only to win to make sure of going up. They had NOTHING to play for and were already assured mid-table anonymity. I could NOT believe they played like men POSSESSED, and with no good reason other than pride. I was bloody torrid, nailbiting end-to-end great football with action abounding!
We ended it as 3-2 victors, but had to sweat and play out of our skins for that result. We ended up buying one of their players too, Eric Potts.

Brighton and Hove Albion 1976-1977 Home - statto.com

Without doubt my most memorable and favourite BHA match. 32,000 packed in the Goldstone for an evening KO...approx 6th or 6th May 1997.

I was only 10 and remember the atmosphere was electric with loads of flags and scarves everywhere. Other than that, i really can't remember a great deal about the match. BHA won 3-2, im sure there was a penalty or two aswell and it guaranteed promotion.

The one and only time ive ever been on the pitch at the Goldstone.

After that, the two FA cup 4th round games with Liverpool in 1992.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
For me it's the Swindon home tie, losing 2-1, Virgos 120 goal, winning on penalties.. CLOSELY and I mean very closely followed by THAT Chesterfield game. It had so much riding on it.. and seeing the legend that was Danny Cullip rise like a salmon and his bullet header. Brighton 1 Chesterfield 0. Promotion. f*** yes yes yes makes me go all funny thinking about it.

Mention of Anyinsah putting us 2-1 against Man City as well.. incredible.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
God, only marginally less difficult than my favourite record or film of all time.

Best performance - I will always rate West Brom away in the League Cup '76.

Most important - has to be Hereford, with Newcastle and securing promotion to Div One in 79 second.

For sheer atmosphere and emotion tho, I'd plump for the FA Cup Semi-Final, standing on a packed South Bank at Highbury and making more noise that Sheff Wed who had the covered North Bank (or at least that's how it seemed on the day). Wonder goal from Jimmy C. Great trip home and the coach driver allowed us to stock up on booze. I spent the entire eveing back in Brighton going up to everybody and saying 'We've got to the f...ing Cup Final'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here