Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yankuba Minteh SINGS on 5 year contract

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Well that's the excessively harsh comment of the day.

He's been good, looks like a very exciting prospect. Wasn't his best game today, but far from useless.

I, for one, look forward to the worldie that the club and its coaches will train him into.

What aspect of his game do you think has been good?

Not writing him off, just feel he hasn't been anywhere near the level he showed in pre season.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Dunno, he was right in front of me and I knew what he was going to do every time. Easy day for Tuanzebe. Bearing in mind how good Mitoma can be, I can’t believe I just witnessed that performance. He looked completely out of his depth. Was wierd.
He looked leggy. Hurz & co might need to reconsider how we deal with players coming back from international duty on different continents.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
What aspect of his game do you think has been good?

Not writing him off, just feel he hasn't been anywhere near the level he showed in pre season.

He's a very fast, tricky winger. Already numerous examples of him beating his man this season, or beating a defender for pace, or bullying them off the ball and creating a chance.

His crossing has been hit and miss, but there have been dangerous balls he has sent in. Certainly no worse than other wingers.

It's still very early days for him in respect of being at the club and playing first team Premier League football. Bad habits will be coached out of him, and good practices will be trained in.

No point judging him this early on, but I've seen enough to feel excited about the player he's going to become.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's been really poor. Can't beat a man, can't cross, can't shoot... He works hard tracking back but that's not really what we bought him for.
Yep, that's my feeling too. I thought he had an off-day against Utd but everyone can have one and he was against a top-class FB. He wasn't great against Arsenal, but it was Arsenal. But today was against Ipswich and it was the worst performance of the lot. I'll give you that he's good defensively but I want to see a winger who can roast his opponents.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Give Adingra games over him, worth a try but he’s not ready

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunno, he was right in front of me and I knew what he was going to do every time. Easy day for Tuanzebe. Bearing in mind how good Mitoma can be, I can’t believe I just witnessed that performance. He looked completely out of his depth. Was wierd.

Second half right in front of us NS, Mitoma was marked by literally three pacy players.

In a good team on form, that would create space and opportunities elsewhere.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Second half right in front of us NS, Mitoma was marked by literally three pacy players.

In a good team on form, that would create space and opportunities elsewhere.
I wouldn’t say he was marked by 3 players. They, unsurprisingly, sat really deep, and just shifted the 5-10 yards over to his side when he got the ball.

The bigger issue is the lack of movement outside him from LB. It makes it much easier for defenders to crowd Mitoma out.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
I know people have been singing his praises but I think he looks basic af and raw. He’s got pace but just runs in straight lines mostly into trouble. I’m just not seeing it at the moment. Needs some serious couching about decision making too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn’t say he was marked by 3 players. They, unsurprisingly, sat really deep, and just shifted the 5-10 yards over to his side when he got the ball.

The bigger issue is the lack of movement outside him from LB. It makes it much easier for defenders to crowd Mitoma out.

It was yards from us. The moment he got the ball in the final 25, one player roughed him up, two players in reserve just feet away, the entire second half.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It was yards from us. The moment he got the ball in the final 25, one player roughed him up, two players in reserve just feet away, the entire second half.
Right, but they weren’t marking him. One guy was marking him, the others just shifted over to offer support when he got the ball because they had a deep defensive line that only had to shift a few yards every time.

This is an issue for our manager, and his inability to change the game to exploit this space when they shifted. But Ipswich didn’t have 3 men marking him, that simply didn’t happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Right, but they weren’t marking him. One guy was marking him, the others just shifted over to offer support when he got the ball because they had a deep defensive line that only had to shift a few yards every time.

This is an issue for our manager, and his inability to change the game to exploit this space when they shifted. But Ipswich didn’t have 3 men marking him, that simply didn’t happen.

Double or triple marking doesn’t require holding hands.

When Mitoma received the ball in the NW area, completely on his own, three opponents literally only had one mission to stop him.

This isn’t new. Peak Mitoma faced this a year agp.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I'm usually very reluctant to criticise players but he's now been pretty consistently poor and making the same mistakes. It's such a marked difference from preseason it does make me wonder if he's just not currently good enough for the league.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I'm usually very reluctant to criticise players but he's now been pretty consistently poor and making the same mistakes. It's such a marked difference from preseason it does make me wonder if he's just not currently good enough for the league.
He'll be useful, but I think things have gone a little too fast for him and that he carries too much weight on his shoulder and would just benefit from a few games coming off the bench, with less pressure.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think for the money we paid, I would reserve judgement.

typically wants to do everything type of player…beat someone , try to beat someone else, fall over or lose the ball..reminds me a lot of Lua Lua Without the finishing

will get better.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Double or triple marking doesn’t require holding hands.

When Mitoma received the ball in the NW area, completely on his own, three opponents literally only had one mission to stop him.

This isn’t new. Peak Mitoma faced this a year agp.
If he was getting triple marked Mitoma should have been having a field day….oh

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
He'll be useful, but I think things have gone a little too fast for him and that he carries too much weight on his shoulder and would just benefit from a few games coming off the bench, with less pressure.
He also seems more suited to that at the moment. Gameplay wise. Just using his pace to hit on the break late on against tired legs.

Watching him try to get the better of his marker in the first half was hard work. Just slapping it against their shins completely witlessly.

This ain't the J league and full backs in the prem are all rapid and smart. Needs a bit more than knock past and run.

I think he'll get there but I agree he could do with coming on with less pressure for a bit. After he miscontrolled it under no pressure in the second half I was looking at him and he looked distraught and was slapping himself on the forehead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here