Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yankuba Minteh SINGS on 5 year contract

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
The model that Brighton have is based in the reality that we are a medium sized club punching above our weight, and it will be extremely difficult to maintain a position competing for European spots every season. This is why the club pivoted to targeting profits from player sales.

I am under no illusions to say that this will last forever. Eventually, the gold dust will run out and we will be relegated. This is part of the cycle. Other fans admittedly are not so pragmatic.

The biggest clubs do have the biggest resources available to spend (assuming for the moment that the numbers aren't pumped up, which we know in some cases they are). They therefore buy the best players off other teams, as has always been the case. The difference now is with the global branding and reach that these clubs have they can attract orders of magnitude more income than before.

But is the answer to that to falsely pump up the next tier of clubs with sugar daddy or state investment fund money, leaving them high and dry should the sugar daddy disappear later, and the community without that asset?

Wouldn't it be more productive and fair to revisit the distribution of PL income?

PSR is far from a perfect system, but I don't buy the argument that unsustainable spending must be allowed in order to challenge the big 6.

And it goes without saying that Chelsea and Man City need to be held accountable for their PSR shenanigans just the same as the other clubs.
I absolutely agree with this and worry that my position isn't clear. Again, there absolutely should be a cap on spend for fees or wages, or both?

There should be rules about the number of players a team has on it's books, the number of 'homegrown' talent they have to name in their squad, the length of the contracts they can give to players, the amount of debt they have, and loads more.

Something that doesn't penalise a team for success, but doesn't penalise the less successful clubs either.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
From the Telegraph:
  • Newcastle feared 10-point deduction and had £60m deficit to make up
  • "No deals in place" or even bids tabled 48 hours prior to June 30 accounting deadline
  • Minteh always seen as saleable by club hierarchy
  • Minteh-DCL swap collapsed at least in part because Toons didn't want to have three CFs on the books and there was no interest in Wilson - no mention of failure to agree personal terms with DCL
  • Brighton initially offered £30m, before upping this to £33m - no references to sell-on or other clauses
  • Minteh open to Brighton or Everton move but rejected Forest, who instead sprung for Anderson
  • Ashworth compensation package got Newcastle over the line, Minteh and Anderson sales insufficient to ensure PSR compliance

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
From the Telegraph:
  • "No deals in place" or even bids tabled 48 hours prior to June 30 accounting deadline
  • Minteh-DCL swap collapsed at least in part because Toons didn't want to have three CFs on the books and there was no interest in Wilson - no mention of failure to agree personal terms with DCL
  • Brighton initially offered £30m, before upping this to £33m - no references to sell-on or other clauses
  • Minteh open to Brighton or Everton move but rejected Forest, who instead sprung for Anderson
  • Ashworth compensation package got Newcastle over the line, Minteh and Anderson sales insufficient to ensure PSR compliance
Interesting.

Don't like helping direct rivals to comply with PSR. But if we've bagged a good player I suppose it's worth it

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
From the Telegraph:
Have to be honest, selling Minteh was always something I expected to happen this window or next. The plan was for the same to happen with Garang Kuol, but he didn't show anything in his loan spells to warrant any club coming in for him.

I was shocked that we got £33m for him, even more surprised Forest gave us £35m for Anderson.

It's shocking that we were so close to the PSR limit, but I guess when you look at last season where we couldn't justify selling many (if any) of our fringe players it makes a little more sense. I'm sure had we enjoyed a season with fewer injuries we may have been able to offload players like Longstaff, or Almiron or Anderson?

Getting £12m for Ashworth is good business, especially when his replacement is both highly regarded and was free.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
I'm sure had we enjoyed a season with fewer injuries we may have been able to offload players like Longstaff, or Almiron or Anderson?
I similarly expect there would be more talk of outgoings were it not for our injury afflicted season -- a silver lining to the disappointment of the last five months.

Getting £12m for Ashworth is good business, especially when his replacement is both highly regarded and was free.
I'd missed the news re Mitchell's appointment, good get for you lot.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I absolutely agree with this and worry that my position isn't clear. Again, there absolutely should be a cap on spend for fees or wages, or both?

There should be rules about the number of players a team has on it's books, the number of 'homegrown' talent they have to name in their squad, the length of the contracts they can give to players, the amount of debt they have, and loads more.

Something that doesn't penalise a team for success, but doesn't penalise the less successful clubs either.
Fair enough, certainly possible that I went off on one without properly appreciating your position.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I similarly expect there would be more talk of outgoings were it not for our injury afflicted season -- a silver lining to the disappointment of the last five months.

I'd missed the news re Mitchell's appointment, good get for you lot.
It'll be interesting to see if the number of injuries stays as high this coming season.

Aside from the two young wingers, are you expecting to do big business this window? I know that even though we've signed 3 free transfers and officially signed Lewis Hall, we'll have about £100m to spend on the key positions. Of course if we sell Wilson, Almiron we'll have a bit more wriggle room.

Mitchell comes with good pedigree (although so did Ashworth) and the hope is he can unearth a few good young players so that we're not spending all our PSR envelope in one fell swoop.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Have to be honest, selling Minteh was always something I expected to happen this window or next. The plan was for the same to happen with Garang Kuol, but he didn't show anything in his loan spells to warrant any club coming in for him.

I was shocked that we got £33m for him, even more surprised Forest gave us £35m for Anderson.

It's shocking that we were so close to the PSR limit, but I guess when you look at last season where we couldn't justify selling many (if any) of our fringe players it makes a little more sense. I'm sure had we enjoyed a season with fewer injuries we may have been able to offload players like Longstaff, or Almiron or Anderson?

It's interesting that NUFC don't seem to be going the same way as Chelsea (ie, massive long contracts, selling hotels and parts of the training ground to themselves, etc). I may have missed a load of financial shenanigans, but assuming I haven't I'd much prefer to deal with Newcastle than Chelsea.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Aside from the two young wingers, are you expecting to do big business this window? I know that even though we've signed 3 free transfers and officially signed Lewis Hall, we'll have about £100m to spend on the key positions. Of course if we sell Wilson, Almiron we'll have a bit more wriggle room.
Well, it sure seems we've loosened the purse strings! There's credible talk of a £30m move for Mats Wieffer, a 24-year-old Feyenoord midfielder, and we'll probably also spring for a RB, CB, or both. We appear to also be trying to bully Leeds into parting with one or more of their key players.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
It's interesting that NUFC don't seem to be going the same way as Chelsea (ie, massive long contracts, selling hotels and parts of the training ground to themselves, etc). I may have missed a load of financial shenanigans, but assuming I haven't I'd much prefer to deal with Newcastle than Chelsea.

I've no idea if this is the case, but my personal take is that because of who owns us we're going to great lengths to at least appear like we're doing everything above board. I mean even the shirts sponsor and sleeve sponsors are within 'fair market value' all be it at the upper reaches.

Chelsea are going to great lengths to find any loophole they can and the PL are too slow to get ahead of them.

Reactions: cjd

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Well, it sure seems we've loosened the purse strings! There's credible talk of a £30m move for Mats Wieffer, a 24-year-old Feyenoord midfielder, and we'll probably also spring for a RB, CB, or both. We appear to also be trying to bully Leeds into parting with one or more of their key players.

Well, if you want Krafth, he could solve both those problems for you. Yours for just a reasonable fee, say £10m?

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Well, if you want Krafth, he could solve both those problems for you. Yours for just a reasonable fee, say £10m?
If at his big age he wasn't good - or fit - enough to feature for you for half the season, he's not good enough to play for us :thumbsup:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've just spent half an hour watching highlight reels of Minteh and Mitoma and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. We are going to be so much fun to watch this season.

If Evan Ferguson can get his confidence back and not drop too deep, just hang around the 18 yard box, he'll get bundles of goals laid on a plate from both wings.

Two observations about Minteh. Firstly, he is lightning quick with the ball at his feet, but even at full speed he always has his head up looking for his teammates, he's like a slightly scruffy Eden Hazard.

Secondly, unlike Hazard, he's very hard working defensively, he is super quick to win the ball back on the counter press and will get stuck in. But English refs won't like some of his tackles, he'll need to be careful.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've just spent half an hour watching highlight reels of Minteh and Mitoma and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. We are going to be so much fun to watch this season.

If Evan Ferguson can get his confidence back and not drop too deep, just hang around the 18 yard box, he'll get bundles of goals laid on a plate from both wings.

Two observations about Minteh. Firstly, he is lightning quick with the ball at his feet, but even at full speed he always has his head up looking for his teammates, he's like a slightly scruffy Eden Hazard.

Secondly, unlike Hazard, he's very hard working defensively, he is super quick to win the ball back on the counter press and will get stuck in. But English refs won't like some of his tackles, he'll need to be careful.
Point of order with Ferguson.

He needs his fitness back before he can start thinking about his confidence. Glandular Fever and a gammy ankle wrecked his self belief last season. He was fine scoring hat-tricks before the fever kicked in and then the ankle went.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Feedback from my lad who was at a BBQ yesterday.

A Geordie was there talking about Newcastle. He said he thought that Minty would be a £100m+ player. When my lad thanked him for that, said "Brighton fan? you jammy bastud".

It seems we have a live one here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here