Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yankuba Minteh SINGS on 5 year contract

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
When you lose so many of your recruitment team to your rivals, it’s possible that they’ll get to the £6m future stars first. Did Ashworth orchestrate the purchase of Minteh I wonder?

Chelsea are seemingly filling their boots with young South American stars. Potentially all from our top secret database!
They almost certainly hijacked the Kendry Paez deal and I don't think they had any awareness about him before the recruiters moved to Chelsea. Thats one to be annoyed about.
If you trust the data you trust the data, we have no clue what is so special about TB’s data although there has to more to it than number of touches, dribbles etc as that’s all common knowledge.
Indeed.

I think most clubs still use Wyscout because its very practical if you want to find clips of players and their actions. But the stat side to Wyscout is actually garbage. Too few data points to use it the way people want to use it.
Overall, data has become very expensive and difficult to get. When teams started wearing GPS trackers around 2015 (Swansea were first and most swiftly followed) you could find EVERYTHING. Now you can't even find distance ran on individual players and I haven't found a way of getting the data without paying £4k a year.

I'd love to see what data Tony has access to. Do they have eye tracking? Do they have pass ratios with right foot and left foot and so forth? Thinking about all this information that is unaccesible to me is pure TORTURE.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Newcastle signed him a year ago for about £6m, and after a year playing in the Dutch league, we've just paid £30m. Is this a good deal?
Depends how many goals and assists he gets and what we sell him for. Potential bargain. Pedro was circa 30m. We’ll get way more than that come the time.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
Apologies if I missed it. But on the club site, was he in our new away kit ? Looked different to the previous crimson?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Other clubs also want to sign young players and we can't sign everyone. :shrug:
Barco is a good example of a cheap find, but sometimes you're a little late to the party and need to pay up more, like in this case.
I may be wrong but I’m not convinced that Newcastle had any intention of selling Minteh after his loan period tbh not originally but were obliged to, to help them comply with PSR - hence their apparent initial wish for a buy back clause in the Lyon negotiations - It seems he was a development player for them and could have raked back far more profit for them after a few seasons in the EPL. But he was a convenient asset that could they could sell off for a quick easy £33m yet still make around a £27m profit to ensure it would get over the line yesterday. They will still further profit if Minteh’s contract contains a sell on clause, which is very possible given their belief he is an investment player with a stack of potential.

With Anderson going to Forest (netting Newcastle a combined £68m before the PSR deadline) and Minteh being sold, I would say both these players were sold under the value of their current development potential for Newcastle and probably sold for less than if they’d not been sold under pressure but later in the window.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I may be wrong but I’m not convinced that Newcastle had any intention of selling Minteh after his loan period tbh not originally but were obliged to, to help them comply with PSR - hence their apparent initial wish for a buy back clause in the Lyon negotiations - It seems he was a development player for them and could have raked back far more profit for them after a few seasons in the EPL. But he was a convenient asset that could they could sell off for a quick easy £33m yet still make around a £27m profit to ensure it would get over the line yesterday. They will still further profit if Minteh’s contract contains a sell on clause, which is very possible given their belief he is an investment player with a stack of potential.

With Anderson going to Forest (netting Newcastle a combined £68m before the PSR deadline) and Minteh being sold, I would say both these players were sold under the value of their current development potential for Newcastle and probably sold for less than if they’d not been sold under pressure but later in the window.
This is correct. Though I'd say that with us paying the £30m up front (rather than in instalments), I'd be quite surprised if the deal was favourable for Newcastle in terms of a sell-on. Seems that they needed the money in the accounts now, and they got that, I'm sure we'd not give them much additional to hold on to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is correct. Though I'd say that with us paying the £30m up front (rather than in instalments), I'd be quite surprised if the deal was favourable for Newcastle in terms of a sell-on. Seems that they needed the money in the accounts now, and they got that, I'm sure we'd not give them much additional to hold on to.
We almost certainly aren't paying up front - most transfers are paid in instalments. That really doesn't matter to Newcastle though - they needed to record the accounting transaction on or before the 30th June for the PSR shenanigans. When the cash actually arrives in their bank account doesn't impact that at all.

And unless it's been reported otherwise - I just haven't had time to follow stuff over the last few weeks - there'll almost certainly be add-ons too, including a sell-on clause.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
We almost certainly aren't paying up front - most transfers are paid in instalments. That really doesn't matter to Newcastle though - they needed to record the accounting transaction on or before the 30th June for the PSR shenanigans. When the cash actually arrives doesn't impact that at all.

And unless it's been reported otherwise - I just haven't had time to follow stuff over the last few weeks - there'll almost certainly be add-ons too, including a sell-on clause.
You're probably right. I've gone back and had a look at where I read it and it's a mediocre twitter account and a few posts on Toon forums. Not really as concrete as I thought!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Looking forward to see how he adapts to Tic-Tac football.

I’ll get me coat.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You can guarantee chelsea fans will nick the song like they have with our cucurella (spit) song.
Which was nicked from every other club anyway.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We almost certainly aren't paying up front - most transfers are paid in instalments. That really doesn't matter to Newcastle though - they needed to record the accounting transaction on or before the 30th June for the PSR shenanigans. When the cash actually arrives in their bank account doesn't impact that at all.

Doubt there's a buy-back though. Would make absolutely no financial sense to us.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Crap puns aside, this is a bit of a strange one, in that we’re buying from a club who have effectively “flipped” a young player for profit. That’s supposed to be us doing that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here