Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wounds still not healed after 25 years....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yesterday at the Forest v Barnsley match the Barnsley fans spent the match shouting 'scabs' at the Forest lot, and ended up with their bus being bricked.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite why all the lefties have not blamed Maggie for this is beyond me.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Long memories, I think there are still streets where neighbours don't talk to the ones who went back.

My 'football' memory of that strike is the first day of the 84/85 season when it was in full flow. I think Forest went to a packed Hillsborough to play Wednesday, it was on the news (as opposed to the sport) and the atmosphere was poisonous.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be fair many people ended losing their livelihoods in areas where there was no other source of employment so it's not hard to understand the bitterness.

Well, for most people anyway.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Could someone fill me in? I was a bit young at the time!

Well you know about the Miners strike yes ? Well it was the Nottinghamshire Miners who broke the strike by going back to work. Hence clubs from that county are reviled by clubs from other mining areas, such as Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could someone fill me in? I was a bit young at the time!

The NUM called a national strike, Thatcher used the police, the army and MI5 to divide and rule.

The NUM membership was most militant in the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire, whereas the Notts miners were more moderate. They eventually started to drift back to the work, and there was a lot of trouble between the pickets from Yorkshire, and the Notts miners, who were seen as scab labour.

After about a year the strike collapsed, the Yorkshire communities have never forgiven the scabs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The NUM called a national strike, Thatcher used the police, the army and MI5 to divide and rule.

The NUM membership was most militant in the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire, whereas the Notts miners were more moderate. They eventually started to drift back to the work, and there was a lot of trouble between the pickets from Yorkshire, and the Notts miners, who were seen as scab labour.

After about a year the strike collapsed, the Yorkshire communities have never forgiven the scabs.

In more truthful words Thatcher finally put the NUM and their stupid leaders in their places and defeated them.

A great day for capitalism.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was she the only pin-up allowed at Christs Hospital or did you whack off to pictures of Tebbit as well?

The only pin up I had was of a nubile lady playing tennis and scratching her arse.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thanks guys, I knew there were places where the strike was witheld, and others where they went back to work, but didn't know it was split along county lines and therefore related to footy.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Many people said Thatcher was getting payback for the miners having bought down the Heath Government of the 1970s.

He called a general election after a miners strike in the early 70's, asking 'who runs the country ? ', which unsurprisingly he then lost.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
When the strike was at its height it was even difficult for people to move around in certain parts of the country. More than three blokes in a car driving together in parts of the country were likely to be stopped and searched by the Old Bill who would suspect they were NUM . I think on one occasion Frickley Athletic didn't make an away game in what was then the Northern Premier because plod were convinced the team bus was actually carrying people to a picket line instead of a football match.

....whereas the Notts miners were more moderate. They eventually started to drift back to the work...

Garbage. Most of the Notts miners never went on strike in the first place. The reason - Scargill ripped up the rule book about having a strike ballot, keeping faith with his communist ideology. Had a ballot been in favour of a strike, Notts miners would have joined it. It was the Yorkshire and other regions who eventually "drifted back to work" and the strikers, led by Scargill, became the minority. Notts miners left the NUM en masse, forming the Union of Democratic Mineworkers. Scargill was left with a broken union, caused by his own arrogance.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Scargill's refusal to hold a strike ballot led to the death of the mining industry and trade unionism in this country. The pit deputies union , NACODS were willing to hold a ballot but the NUM weren't. The police who were shipped in from all parts of the country loved the overtime they were earning and the chance to give the miners a good kicking at the same time. I can still remember wearing my "coal not dole" badge to show my support for the miners which used to get me funny looks from a lot of folks in Brighton who were really unaware of what was going on and believed what they saw on TV and read in the papers.

What most people have forgotten (if they ever knew it at all) is the enormous size of the mining industry in Britain. In 1920, 1.25 million people were employed in the coal mines. In some parts of the country, miners made up MOST of the working population.

No wonder the closure of this industry caused such bitterness.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The police were the winners, i work with an ex copper who was involved and they made a fortune with the overtime throught that year, they had t-shirts printed that said 'Scargill paid my mortgage'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here