Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’d stick with the lovely weather, Central European location, peppercorn mortgage and fit senorita if I were you. You’re missing less than you might imagine. Come back when you’re old and crap.

Bar the odd day it's been wall to wall sunshine since March down here... What more do you want?! :lolol:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Whereabouts?

I love Greece, but must be the only person who doesn't particularly like Athens.

Metro is good (thanks to the Olympics) but it's busy, stupidly hot in summer, very dirty and those who man about graffiti in Brighton better not go there!

Nor most cities on the continent!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Albion, definitely irreplacable imho and pretty much the only thing i miss.

EasyJet fly (carbon neutrally) from Valencia to Gatwick. No need for the OP to miss the Albion.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not you as well. A holiday in the UK is not a staycation - it's a HOLIDAY. A staycation is STAYing at home and having holiday type experiences in your garden, or day trips out.

But I live in Chi so a staycation is Chi???

I was suggesting Jamie moves to Chi and he can have staycations in Chi. Maybe I could have put it better.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I love Brighton and if London wasn't available I'd be back like a shot. Especially as my London house is worth ten of your tiny bedsits. As for Shoreham, I spend every minute I'm there wanting to leave and find where all the fun's at - even though when I get home I never do anything fun anyway. Could do with the Amex being on Hackney Marshes and I'd have everything I want.

Not trying to wind you up but I have some friends who lived in Walthamstow until a couple of years ago , they said it was a dump , full of dodgy looking people and they were thrilled to move to Hove .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Jamie

What I'd remember is that if you're young and you try to come on NSC and express an opinion, you get shouted down for being ... well .. young.

The end result is that a site full of fogeys with phenomenal post counts who have retired from life and are here to talk about their dentures or arthritis or whatever. See above for details.

Brighton is a brilliant place to live. Music, art, comedy, drinking (and it's heart breaking to see this closed down for COVID). Full of young people with ideas and aspirations. Loads to do and being in the centre of it feels wonderful. And don't ignore the politics. In fact I'd look at a political map of who holds what seat to work out if I thought I'd fit in in a different part of the country. Ignore the rough edges. Brighton is about the feeling it gives you. I couldn't recommend it more.
This

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
NSC is a wonderful Smörgåsbord of opinions so when seeking advice from complete strangers it's a good place to start.

I've been living abroad for a number of years now but recently I've been feeling strong desires to move home to the fine city of Brighton and Hove. My girlfriend is pretty keen as she wants to improve her English and I own my flat here in Valencia with a mortgage of about a hundred quid a month so I always have that safety net. I work from home for a British company so no problems there.

Anyone done something similar and care to share their experiences? I've made a loose list of pros and cons so please feel free to jump in.

Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)
- Can play more golf
- Pubs
- Friends and family to spend more time with
- Pubs
- Decent international food
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes
- Pubs

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier than I remember
- Weather is terrible most of the year
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next

Thanks in advance for your input!

I lived in Spain for 30 years, still have a house and a flat there and lots of friends but I could personally move to Brighton tomorrow. Just love the cultural vive, the music, second hand shops vegan and international food. I know Valencia a bit, it is a nice enough city but nowhere near the culture you get in Brighton. I guess it is horses for courses. You can always try it and move back to Valencia if it doesn't work out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jamie

What I'd remember is that if you're young and you try to come on NSC and express an opinion, you get shouted down for being ... well .. young.

The end result is that a site full of fogeys with phenomenal post counts who have retired from life and are here to talk about their dentures or arthritis or whatever. See above for details.

Brighton is a brilliant place to live. Music, art, comedy, drinking (and it's heart breaking to see this closed down for COVID). Full of young people with ideas and aspirations. Loads to do and being in the centre of it feels wonderful. And don't ignore the politics. In fact I'd look at a political map of who holds what seat to work out if I thought I'd fit in in a different part of the country. Ignore the rough edges. Brighton is about the feeling it gives you. I couldn't recommend it more.

I love Brighton, I’ve lived here all my life, bar stays in university cities elsewhere, when I missed far superior Brighton like hell. In my fifties, the shine of living here hasn’t waned.

We have new neighbours who moved away from Brighton 20 years ago for personal reasons, they’ve wanted to return and have finally made it. They summed it up - they love The Lanes, North Laine, restaurants, venues, the overall vibrant atmosphere, youth, the sea, easy access to the beautiful South Downs, in the suburbs you’re just ten minutes from the city centre.

Makes me laugh when those in live in Eastbourne, Bexhill or Worthing comment under Argus articles about awful Brighton and Hove is.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
I've been an expat for over 40 years now and tried returning to Brighton permanently twice (1983 from NY, 1990 from Santa Fe) and lasted a few months before the lure of the US brought me back. I dearly love Brighton, but it's changed a lot since my young day. Having lived in Hawaii for over 20 years now, I have no reason (such as family) to return, for so many (mainly obvious) reasons. When I come back I check the fixtures to maximize home and reachable away games. Maui is the closest I can think of to paradise on earth, so why leave, but like Brighton it's very pricey. If I HAD to return to the UK, no question I'd choose Brighton or nearby. When I return every so often I aim for the autumn which I've always thought was the most spectacular season in Sussex, and for the opportunity of watching the Albion and learning at the feet of HWT.

My advice is to stay put and enjoy Spain. The EU has a brighter future than the UK imho and Herr T's photos sum it up pretty well. Good luck either way!
:spam:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Surely Valencia is close enough to the UK for you to pop back for a long weekend once a month if you want. See family / go to the pub / watch the Albion / cool down your balls.

I moved here to NZ in Oct 2016 and its really not possible to do that so i have been thinking what it would be like to come home permanently. I always said things would have to take a pretty bad turn to my life in New Zealand to up sticks and come home. Well it did!! In December my wife very suddenly and unexpectedly died. I have no family or really good friends here so its just me and my 13 year old girl. Its a real struggle in every way and we may yet be forced to come home even when we dont want to. My daughter certainly wants to stay and thats keeping me here for now although i miss family and friends a lot.

Guess I would take your time over making any decision as others have said.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I've been an expat for over 40 years now and tried returning to Brighton permanently twice (1983 from NY, 1990 from Santa Fe) and lasted a few months before the lure of the US brought me back. I dearly love Brighton, but it's changed a lot since my young day. Having lived in Hawaii for over 20 years now, I have no reason (such as family) to return, for so many (mainly obvious) reasons. When I come back I check the fixtures to maximize home and reachable away games. Maui is the closest I can think of to paradise on earth, so why leave, but like Brighton it's very pricey. If I HAD to return to the UK, no question I'd choose Brighton or nearby. When I return every so often I aim for the autumn which I've always thought was the most spectacular season in Sussex, and for the opportunity of watching the Albion and learning at the feet of HWT.

My advice is to stay put and enjoy Spain. The EU has a brighter future than the UK imho and Herr T's photos sum it up pretty well. Good luck either way!
:spam:

I moved to Oahu in April. Good to know there is another Albion fan nearby. Looking forward to island hoping once COVID-19 has disappeared. I have been to Kauai a few years ago. I really can’t wait to get to Maui and The Big Island.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I love Brighton, I’ve lived here all my life, bar stays in university cities elsewhere, when I missed far superior Brighton like hell. In my fifties, the shine of living here hasn’t waned.

We have new neighbours who moved away from Brighton 20 years ago for personal reasons, they’ve wanted to return and have finally made it. They summed it up - they love The Lanes, North Laine, restaurants, venues, the overall vibrant atmosphere, youth, the sea, easy access to the beautiful South Downs, in the suburbs you’re just ten minutes from the city centre.

Makes me laugh when those in live in Eastbourne, Bexhill or Worthing comment under Argus articles about awful Brighton and Hove is.

Absolutely re your last point. As if it's not a city of 290,000 but a quaint seaside village. Of course a city our size has its rough edges and things that could be better. Largely, it's a brilliant place to be. So many places to explore with great and varied architecture and shops, bars and pubs outside brighton/Hove Town centres too. I could walk around the city all day. And then there's the coast, the Downs, the surrounding beautiful little villages...

On an entirely different note, I also noticed the OP mention 'gammons' on the rise but Brighton being relatively 'gammon free'. Far right/populist politics is on the rise all over the world unfortunately, Spain included, it really isn't just a British issue. Many countries in fact have a far bigger problem with far right than we do, including some of our closest neighbours. Definitely not something to put off moving back here. Brexit fiasco aside, we're still a comparatively very tollerent and open country.

Last edited:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Surely Valencia is close enough to the UK for you to pop back for a long weekend once a month if you want. See family / go to the pub / watch the Albion / cool down your balls.

I moved here to NZ in Oct 2016 and its really not possible to do that so i have been thinking what it would be like to come home permanently. I always said things would have to take a pretty bad turn to my life in New Zealand to up sticks and come home. Well it did!! In December my wife very suddenly and unexpectedly died. I have no family or really good friends here so its just me and my 13 year old girl. Its a real struggle in every way and we may yet be forced to come home even when we dont want to. My daughter certainly wants to stay and thats keeping me here for now although i miss family and friends a lot.

Guess I would take your time over making any decision as others have said.

Shit, I'm very sorry to read that. I really hope it works out for you both!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
we've just moved out of Brighton and upped sticks to west sussex. We are both born and bred in Brighton as is our son but we got a bit sick of living in a small 2 bed flat with prickish neighbours when we could afford a 3 bed house with a garden a little bit down the coast.

A lot of the advantages of living in Brighton aren't really there for us any more, having a small child means we're not hanging out in pubs or going to restaurants regularly and if we really want to hit the shops we are only a short drive away. We still have quick access to a beach and are close to the downs so not missing out there

I've resigned myself to never living in Brighton & Hove ever again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here