Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I'd be far more tempted by Eastbourne in truth. Cheaper housing and every time I go there it seems a great place to live, and just a short hop to Brighton.

Concur with this. Lived in France 20 years and moved to Motcombe in Eastbourne 18mths ago. No regrets about coming home to Sussex (Worthing born). Easy access to Brighton when you feel the need, The Downs and the sea. I love it here, don't even need a car. I'm 58, kids all independent so a little different to your position but don't be put off by the UK bashers. It can still be a great place to live.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If it's a toss up between living in a spanish city or a british city, the spanish ones are much more nicely presented and affordable and if I'm honest I prefer the people. However, for the moment at least there are more jobs and prospects in most sectors in the UK. Let's see if that's the case next year.

If you are going to move to the UK and you want a city to live in, Brighton is definitely up there

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
FWIW we had a trip to Valencia and Madrid booked for June....hope to get there someday!

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

I've lived in both and love both. If you don't know the cities and want some eating/drinking/sightseeing tips before you make it over, give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

Maybe being home for a while will help me appreciate Valencia a bit more. If I can find the balance to spend enough time in both, it'll be perfect.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Haven't had time to read the whole thread, but after 7 years living in Costa Rica and 10 years living in London I'm now moving back to Brighton (Hove, actually :whistle:) at the age of 36. Just had a little one and feels like the right place to start a family. I say go for it!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'd say do it.

I lived in New York for 18 months and moved back to Arundel more for personal reasons than anything else.

Every time I go into a Brighton now it gives me a buzz that I never experienced in Manhattan. Its a combo of the good and the bad but I just feel like these are my people and I love the feeling of belonging.

I had a season ticket at MSG for the Rangers but it could never beat a banging Saturday afternoon at the Amex.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why would it be weird to include the politics of a place when considering a move? If you were a gay man who'd been offered a job somewhere like Poland, surely the current political climate would come into play when making a decision?

Funny that the only comments you picked up on or seem interested are my comments on why you’d bring politics into a shall I move back to Brighton thread ffs.

Massive whataboutary bringing Poland into the discussion [emoji23][emoji23]

Edit definitely stay where you are!

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Funny that the only comments you picked up on or seem interested are my comments on why you’d bring politics into a shall I move back to Brighton thread ffs.

Massive whataboutary bringing Poland into the discussion [emoji23][emoji23]

I picked up on those comments because they were absurd. Everything else you said was perfectly rational and didn't need comment.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not Brighton but Shoreham is great. Loads of pubs, parking is easier, no graffiti ,etc.

Interesting. I think of everything from Peacehaven to Shoreham as being parts of a single city, probably because there's no break in the built-up area. So I regard Shoreham Beach and Ropetackle as being just as much local assets as the undercliff walk, Devil's Dyke or the Duke Of York's.

As an area to live, yes, Shoreham looks good - so much so that we tried to persuade my sister-in-law to look for a place in Shoreham when she wanted to move down from Norfolk. She chose Bexhill instead and is now back in the land of the six-fingered, which probably tells you something.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Interesting. I think of everything from Peacehaven to Shoreham as being parts of a single city, probably because there's no break in the built-up area. So I regard Shoreham Beach and Ropetackle as being just as much local assets as the undercliff walk, Devil's Dyke or the Duke Of York's.

Me too. I wonder if they feel the same though :lolol:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've lived in both and love both. If you don't know the cities and want some eating/drinking/sightseeing tips before you make it over, give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

Maybe being home for a while will help me appreciate Valencia a bit more. If I can find the balance to spend enough time in both, it'll be perfect.
Thanks. We have good friends in Madrid and have been there a few times but Valencia is new to me so I would appreciate any tips.

Again FWIW I've ended up a massive Betis fan so will try and tie a game of there's in Valencia to a visit, so would appreciate tips on tickets etc if things ever normalise.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Thanks. We have good friends in Madrid and have been there a few times but Valencia is new to me so I would appreciate any tips.

Again FWIW I've ended up a massive Betis fan so will try and tie a game of there's in Valencia to a visit, so would appreciate tips on tickets etc if things ever normalise.

Absolutely, just give me a shout closer to the time and I'll give some pointers.

Regarding tickets, they're easy to get online or on the day. Not sure if you've been to games over here before but most of the fun takes place outside the stadium a 2-3 hours before kick off eating and drinking. There's another Albion fan who follows Betis and is based down the road from here, so if there's a Valencia/Betis game he will definitely be going and can be found on the facebook group Seagulls Over Spain.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Stay where you are, you are enjoying a standard of living that you wouldn't afford in Brighton. Unless of course, you can get in a secure job on £40 k pa.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
NSC is a wonderful Smörgåsbord of opinions so when seeking advice from complete strangers it's a good place to start.

I've been living abroad for a number of years now but recently I've been feeling strong desires to move home to the fine city of Brighton and Hove. My girlfriend is pretty keen as she wants to improve her English and I own my flat here in Valencia with a mortgage of about a hundred quid a month so I always have that safety net. I work from home for a British company so no problems there.

Anyone done something similar and care to share their experiences? I've made a loose list of pros and cons so please feel free to jump in.

Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)
- Can play more golf
- Pubs
- Friends and family to spend more time with
- Pubs
- Decent international food
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes
- Pubs

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier than I remember
- Weather is terrible most of the year
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jamie, ask yourself, why did you leave in the first place? If those issues are resolved now, then maybe give it a go.

You say you work from home, so basically you can do that anywhere, but what you earn is going to go much further here in Spain than anywhere in the UK, as i am sure you are aware. If you earn so much that it makes no difference to you, then, again, go for it.

You say your girlfriend wants to improve her English, i would suggest making sure she is very capable before moving as this will put her at a massive disadvantage for seeking employment otherwise. My daughter moved here a year ago, she only speaks a little Spanish (but is learning) and other than working in a pub owned and catering for Brits, has found employment very hard to come by.

Is your girlfriend Spanish? Has she lived away from home before? If she doesn't have good enough English, will she be prepared enough for living a fairly lonely life without friends and family until her English is good enough to have conversation and get friends of her own? If yes then once again, go for it.

Weather?, might be sticky bollocks, but at least you can plan that bbq with 99% confidence it wont be rained off.

Golf? Seriously? So many Brits come here to play golf that there are golf resorts set up exclusively for them.

Pubs? Not like Valencia is short of pubs and bars and with far better prices too.

The Albion, definitely irreplacable imho and pretty much the only thing i miss.

Friends and family is something to consider very seriously, dont forget they all have their own lives to live and you may not see them much more than you do when you return on "holiday".

I am biased and dont miss the UK at all, but each to their own, i hope you reach the decision that is right for you and your girlfriend. That trial idea sounds like a good one, if you can afford the rental prices or indeed to buy in Brighton, but the 100 p/m mortgage you are currently paying isnt going to get you anything in Brighton or the surrounding areas i wouldn't have thought.

boik

I do agree with you on loud and rowdy, there are far too many activists in this country now, quite frankly they are a disgrace.

If Jamie does return, he will not see much difference, as he can just nestle into the city encased within the bubble.
If he goes out and plays golf, he may witness a gammon or two roasting the club secretary.
No different than it has ever been.

If he just wants a great British city that is bubble-free, why not choose Chichester. It has been voted no1 place for a staycation.
Shame you're having your staycation over their HT, you would love it in Chi.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18630289.chichester-crowned-safest-sunniest-city-staycation/

Not you as well. A holiday in the UK is not a staycation - it's a HOLIDAY. A staycation is STAYing at home and having holiday type experiences in your garden, or day trips out.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I am moving to Greece soon though, I feel a lot more at home in Greece than I do in Spain (

Whereabouts?

I love Greece, but must be the only person who doesn't particularly like Athens.

Metro is good (thanks to the Olympics) but it's busy, stupidly hot in summer, very dirty and those who man about graffiti in Brighton better not go there!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I love Brighton and if London wasn't available I'd be back like a shot. Especially as my London house is worth ten of your tiny bedsits. As for Shoreham, I spend every minute I'm there wanting to leave and find where all the fun's at - even though when I get home I never do anything fun anyway. Could do with the Amex being on Hackney Marshes and I'd have everything I want.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
NSC is a wonderful Smörgåsbord of opinions so when seeking advice from complete strangers it's a good place to start.

I've been living abroad for a number of years now but recently I've been feeling strong desires to move home to the fine city of Brighton and Hove. My girlfriend is pretty keen as she wants to improve her English and I own my flat here in Valencia with a mortgage of about a hundred quid a month so I always have that safety net. I work from home for a British company so no problems there.

Anyone done something similar and care to share their experiences? I've made a loose list of pros and cons so please feel free to jump in.

Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)
- Can play more golf
- Pubs
- Friends and family to spend more time with
- Pubs
- Decent international food
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes
- Pubs

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier than I remember
- Weather is terrible most of the year
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next

Thanks in advance for your input!

I’d stick with the lovely weather, Central European location, peppercorn mortgage and fit senorita if I were you. You’re missing less than you might imagine. Come back when you’re old and crap.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Grass is not always greener, but if you can afford it then it's still a great place to live. I'm 52 (53 next week) and age is really no impediment to getting the most of this city. It is just flipping expensive to live here. For me the real pulls are the relaxed and creative atmosphere, the sea, the easy access to the downs and the crazy amount of quality pubs and restaurants (and I am a picky eater!). Not to mention the Albion too!

If you are happy in Valencia though I would give the decision some very serious consideration either way.

It is a great city, really love being back here after many years away abroad and elsewhere in England. Its got its downsides, and there's some scruffy areas, but any city of this size has, the world over. There are so many great residential areas, so much unique and interesting architecture, the Lanes, North Laine and central Hove, very open, friendly and creative atmosphere ,and of course loads of sun through spring and summer by the seaside. But yeah, it ain't cheap!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here