Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Mexico City to the Sussex countryside? Wow..that’s some leap!
I'm in rural Brazil, retired early and would love to come back but cannot afford to buy a property there and unlikely to get a decent enough paid job or have enough years left in me to get a mortgage.
I could probably afford an apartment in somewhere like Valencia (I say Valencia because I had researched a bit) to be at least closer but would still need a job of some kind.
Nope, looks like I need to accept my lot as it is and focus on the positives here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in rural Brazil, retired early and would love to come back but cannot afford to buy a property there and unlikely to get a decent enough paid job or have enough years left in me to get a mortgage.
I could probably afford an apartment in somewhere like Valencia (I say Valencia because I had researched a bit) to be at least closer but would still need a job of some kind.
Nope, looks like I need to accept my lot as it is and focus on the positives here.

I’m curious, how did you end up in rural Brazil?

D

Deleted member 2719

I have been away for 7 and a half years but recently spent the whole of June in Brighton. I have no desire to move back to Brighton, or anywhere in the U.K. for that matter. In response to your question, no, don’t do it. The reasons you give are sufficient to answer your question. I’ll add that Brits are too loud and rowdy as well.

I do agree with you on loud and rowdy, there are far too many activists in this country now, quite frankly they are a disgrace.

If Jamie does return, he will not see much difference, as he can just nestle into the city encased within the bubble.
If he goes out and plays golf, he may witness a gammon or two roasting the club secretary.
No different than it has ever been.

If he just wants a great British city that is bubble-free, why not choose Chichester. It has been voted no1 place for a staycation.
Shame you're having your staycation over their HT, you would love it in Chi.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18630289.chichester-crowned-safest-sunniest-city-staycation/

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Don't give the game away, there's more than enough riff raff here already!!!! :lolol:

TBH I'd sit tight in Spain and apply for citizenship unti l the whol brexit thing sorts itself out. I'd leap at the chance to live/work in eurozone.

Applying for Spanish citizenship means giving up your British passport, unfortunately.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I currently live just outside of Barcelona. Plenty right with Spain but also plenty to miss about Brighton. I am moving to Greece soon though, I feel a lot more at home in Greece than I do in Spain (or the UK come to think of it) so I am hoping it will be a long term solution.

I certainly wouldn't move back to the UK for the foreseeable future.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I spent most time in Brighton in the late 80's 90's . . . teens twenties basically . . . . . the older I get the less I go.

I'll always want to be close to a cultural hub as it where. but prefer living in a slightly more rural setting, and always by the sea. not so easy in this country.

Interestingly, nearly all our neighbours have migrated from Brighton/Hove, primarily due to children/schools etc the only odd ones out came down from Tottingham.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I moved to Ormskirk in Lancashire 32 years ago and visit family in Brighton 2 or three times a year. On the drive down I often think about moving back but the second I hit the traffic (especially on the coast road) I change my mind and remember it just ain't home anymore.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I’m curious, how did you end up in rural Brazil?
To do the right thing by my other half. She had followed me to look after my sick father.
When he passed away there was nothing left for me in that country and I said it was now time for her to be close to her family as her Father is getting on and has health problems.
However, I struggle with the language, (I was never particularly good with languages) and find myself quietly sitting by while conversations go on around me so I feel quite isolated at times.
Basically a bad life choice made out of good intentions.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Brighton is a brilliant place to live. Music, art, comedy, drinking (and it's heart breaking to see this closed down for COVID). Full of young people with ideas and aspirations. Loads to do and being in the centre of it feels wonderful. And don't ignore the politics. In fact I'd look at a political map of who holds what seat to work out if I thought I'd fit in in a different part of the country. Ignore the rough edges. Brighton is about the feeling it gives you. I couldn't recommend it more.

I echo this sentiment completely.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Spain/Portugal has never been on my radar. IF I was offered Freench or Italian I'd seriously consider it. I have no great allegiance to this country.

Italy and France allow dual citizenship so you wouldn't even need to give up your British passport. Spain are one of the few EU countries that impose restrictions.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Like a flash! I'd planned/hoped to retire back to Brighton at the end of this year, but the Covid 19 nonsense has put a stop to that. Although I live and work in High Wycombe (I live above the pub I own) and HW is on the edge of the stunning Chilterns there is, for me, nowhere like home. Trouble is that pub sale prices have fallen through the floor and it's worse here because we still don't know when we are going to be allowed to have the dancers working again.

I grew up in Hove and have lived on and off in Brighton since then. The attraction? - it's a real town (city) with real people. There's a sense of community identity (the Abion have always played a part in that) which doesn't exist here.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Everytime I pop home I think, "yep I could move back" Love the Beer, the country pubs, East Sussex, The Amex, proper football, Europe etc etc, but then I think the weather, the cost of a house, Brighton are now in the PL which means I get to watch them live every week and more importantly what would I do for a living. Until this bloody virus came along Sussex was no more than a 70 hour round trip, with a hire car pick up at heathrow for less than 2k aus so why give up what I have. I see the UK a bit like a grandkid, I can hold it for a while and then give it back and visit whenever I want, without all the problems of being its parent.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)[emoji736][emoji120]
- Can play more golf[emoji736][emoji120]
- Pubs[emoji848]
- Friends and family to spend more time with[emoji848]
- Pubs (you’ve already listed this)
- Decent international food (yeah right)
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes [emoji736]
- Pubs ( you’ve already listed this)

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd YES
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in YES
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal ( Weird that you would try and politicise)
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier than I remember YES
- Weather is terrible most of the year ( I thought you said it was agreeable)
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next (Another weird political statement)

My advice stay where you are [emoji106]

Why would it be weird to include the politics of a place when considering a move? If you were a gay man who'd been offered a job somewhere like Poland, surely the current political climate would come into play when making a decision?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gammons more vocal! :lolol:

All of the political nonsense exists exclusively on the internet. Most people IRL are generally nice to each other and avoid discussing politics.

Houses in the nice bits of Brighton are off the scale expensive. The centre is dirty, noisy and full of wrong'uns which is fine for a day trip or if you're a student but there's much nicer and cheaper places just outside.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
How anyone could think of returning to this shower of shit of a country that we live in, when you have the potential to seek residency in Spain.

Even the UK govt are making a push for expats in Spain to get residency so Brexit doesn't **** em up. Stay where you are and laugh at us as we collapse in on ourselves.
It pains me to say so but I think this is the correct answer.

If, as I think you say, your residential status is flexible then no harm in coming over for a trial period. But having heard nothing but good things about Valencia, and being a fan of Spanish cities generally, I would stay where you are.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe

The end result is that a site full of fogeys with phenomenal post counts who have retired from life and are here to talk about their dentures or arthritis or whatever. See above for details.

Brighton is a brilliant place to live. Music, art, comedy, drinking (and it's heart breaking to see this closed down for COVID). Full of young people with ideas and aspirations. Loads to do and being in the centre of it feels wonderful. And don't ignore the politics. In fact I'd look at a political map of who holds what seat to work out if I thought I'd fit in in a different part of the country. Ignore the rough edges. Brighton is about the feeling it gives you. I couldn't recommend it more.

That's a little hurtful. I don't have a phenomenal post count but I do have the other two. (None of that flossing nonsense for me these days!) And I agree with you entirely. Except that in none of the previous posts did anyone mention dentures or arthiritis...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here