Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be sad if Crystal Palace went out of business

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Palace fans supported us in the dark days, I would like to see both in the premier.

As for Man utd they can go to hades for all I care, would like to see Bury gain from it.

Brighton and Palace in the premiership would be amazing, it would really ignite a once bitter rivalry. Away trips to London via East Croydon would be plagued by fighting and hostility but the buzz would be unbelievable I reckon.

Keep Palace in the league for me but it would be good if we could finish that little bit ahead of them, even by one place.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't want them to nor would I be happy if they did, as much as I hate man utd I wouldn't want them to either.

Would I be sad if they did? Probably not. I don't know anyone who earns a living from them who can't go elsewhere, I don't see the clubs folding having any direct impact on my life, so it wouldn't really affect me. I'd provide a big pile of indifference to it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
The hatred I have for Palace and for Manchester United are two different things.

I want us to get one over on Palace, I want us to BEAT them solidly and I want them to be WORSE than us year on year. That's just how it is.

But at the end of the day a bit of banter with some of their fans in the pub is just that, banter, and I still want them to do well enough to be in the same division as us so that I can enjoy that banter. Palace fans are fans of Crystal Palace with good reason.

When it comes to Manchester United fans in the pub you are talking about a completely different breed. For one thing, name me one Palace fan you know with no connection to south London/Croydon...

I can't begrudge anyone for supporting their local team, or one with family connections of some sort. But I do get entirely irritated by people claiming a pasisonate allegiance to a team they've never even seen play live, with which they have no legitimate connection whatsoever.

Palace fans clearly aren't glory hunters, they're football fans. But to this day I've never met a Manchester United fan who came from Manchester and that is a FACT.

For this reason YES I would sooner Manchester United, a team which we have little do with, went out of business than Palace, a club of a similar scale to ours who provide a nice local away trip and a guaranteed full house when we meet.

Also Neil Warnock and Simon Jordan are complete wankers BUT I'd still sooner save their ungrateful lives than allow that cretin Ferguson another breath

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Definitely don't want Palace to go bust, what is life in football if you don't have a rival...it is nice to see them suffer occasionally, like being on the end of a cup-shock, but it would be really sad if they no longer existed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The hatred I have for Palace and for Manchester United are two different things.

I want us to get one over on Palace, I want us to BEAT them solidly and I want them to be WORSE than us year on year. That's just how it is.

But at the end of the day a bit of banter with some of their fans in the pub is just that, banter, and I still want them to do well enough to be in the same division as us so that I can enjoy that banter. Palace fans are fans of Crystal Palace with good reason.

When it comes to Manchester United fans in the pub you are talking about a completely different breed. For one thing, name me one Palace fan you know with no connection to south London/Croydon...

I can't begrudge anyone for supporting their local team, or one with family connections of some sort. But I do get entirely irritated by people claiming a pasisonate allegiance to a team they've never even seen play live, with which they have no legitimate connection whatsoever.

Palace fans clearly aren't glory hunters, they're football fans. But to this day I've never met a Manchester United fan who came from Manchester and that is a FACT.

For this reason YES I would sooner Manchester United, a team which we have little do with, went out of business than Palace, a club of a similar scale to ours who provide a nice local away trip and a guaranteed full house when we meet.

Also Neil Warnock and Simon Jordan are complete wankers BUT I'd still sooner save their ungrateful lives than allow that cretin Ferguson another breath

I can imagine if Man Utd were to go bust, they'd sell their identity and use it as a fashion brand, so people can still buy man utd shirts etc, but instead of being for a footie team, they'd simply b the latest fashion.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Palace fans are fans of Crystal Palace with good reason.

Sorry to have chopped out most of your post Bluejuice, but those are the bits that I agree with most...Palace fans are little different to us really, they follow their local team just as we do, certainly not glory-hunters!

I have met one Man Utd fan who was a genuine Mancuinan, she was born no more than a couple of hundred yards from the ground...close enough to smell the prawn sandwiches...but most come from places like Bury, Rochdale or Barnet!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I would argue that actually most come from Surrey, Hampshire, Dubai, Bengal etc...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There's a lot of hatred here for gillingham (due to our history with them) and for Leyton Oriet (because of our history with them). There's also "local" rivals such as Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Southampton, Crawley.

Would we really struggle to find a rival without Palace? I don't mean to belittle our feud with Palace, but some people in this thread seem to be suggesting that without palace we'd have no rival, no exciting passionate matches to look forward to.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Well you can't just transfer your hate to another club. I know Leyton Orient seem to think we are big rivals but I like the way we mostly look down on them with pity.

Crawley really aren't big enough, Portsmouth have a far bigger rivalry with Southampton to ever really care about us and Bournemouth are just Bournemouth, can't really hate them as they've never ever done anything.

So yes, without Palace we would lose one of football's great pasisonate rivalries

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Greatest passionate derbies?

no mention here:
Major Club Football Rivalries

nor here:
Europes Biggest Football Rivalries

nor here:
Greatest Football Rivalries

or here:
Soccer Derbies and Rivalries

noting here:
Major football rivalries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are the first four results on a google search for "great football rivalries".

It seems the brighton/palace rivalry is only as big and passionate as we want it to be, and in my time watching the albion (from the late 80s onward) I'd say our games with leyton orient came with as much passion from our fans, more so even, than theirs.

At the moment crawley aren't big enough, but they are local, as are southampton, gillingham, portsmouth and bournemouth, meaning there is an innate rivalry there aided by local media rousing the passion among the supporters.

Palace is considered a bigger rivalry because they've been our number one rival for a long time. If they disappear, one of these "lesser rivalries" will fill that void, LO and Gillingham have a history linked somewhat to one of the black periods in our history, giving a rivalry with them added venom, if we focused on either of them they could eventually replace palace.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I was reliably informed by a Palace supporter/informant that when Charlton played Palace a few seasons ago, some of the Charlton fans started singing "We hate Palace, we hate Palace..."

The Palace fans response?
"We hate Brighton, we hate Brighton..."
:thumbsup:

Dont like to admit it but that is class , talk about pissing on their fireworks.

Wouldnt like to see them go bust but to see them struggling along at CP athletics stadium whilst bumping around the lower divisions as we lord it at Falmer would give me an unimagineable sense of satisfaction.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

This is a very good post.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like everybody else there is no way I'd like to see Palace go under. I wouldn't even like to see them go through an 'Archer' period where they're lose their ground and are potentially one match from oblivion. That said I can't quite share loony's desire to see us both in the Prem. And whilst I wouldn't wish Archer on them I DO want to see them suffer. I want us to be in the Prem and I want to see them tumbling down the league, I want to see them in divison four losing at home to the likes of Darlington and Hereford, I want to be able to issue them with a 'Termination of Rivalry' notice because they're so crap and we're so far above them, and I want to beat them 5-0 on the odd occasion that our fortunes dip and their puny ones rise.

I can't do any of that if the useless bastards go bust.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Brighton and Palace in the premiership would be amazing, it would really ignite a once bitter rivalry. Away trips to London via East Croydon would be plagued by fighting and hostility but the buzz would be unbelievable I reckon.
We wouldnt have to be both in the Premiership to ignite the rivalry,just playing each other no matter what league would do.
I went to my 1st BHA/PALACE at the old Goldstone in the mid seventies (we won 1-0 spider Mellor at the death)outside the north stand there were runung battles with bottles being thrown and that was 90 mins before the match was due to kick off.There were over 26k there that day and we were playing in the lower leagues.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are loads of United fans in Manchester, and if you read Red Issue, you would see that they are just as passionate about their team as we are about the Albion. They can't stand the JCL's (Johnny Come Latelies) who follow United any more than we do. They despise the Glazers and the way the club has been turned into a brand, the price increases at OT and the alienation of the club from it's working class roots. These fans are good lads, honest, it's the fact that they are increasingly outnumbered that is the problem.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The future game I am most looking forward to is the next time we play Palace; I'd prefer it in the Championship but seeing them relegated would be nice :D.
Hopefully we will win, even more hopefully we will give them an absolute thrashing.
The bigger the rivalry, the bigger the emotion, does anyone really care about a rainy night at Colchester or Walsall ?
I work with several Palarse fans, and they are all good lads; guess which is the second result they look for on Saturday teatime.

As for ManU, I'd like to see them drop a couple of leagues so that all the home counties fans go somewhere else (I was talking to a MU season ticket holder once and I mentioned a friend down here who supported them; he said "we have a word for them". "what's that ?" I asked. "c***s").

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
There are loads of United fans in Manchester, and if you read Red Issue, you would see that they are just as passionate about their team as we are about the Albion. They can't stand the JCL's (Johnny Come Latelies) who follow United any more than we do. They despise the Glazers and the way the club has been turned into a brand, the price increases at OT and the alienation of the club from it's working class roots. These fans are good lads, honest, it's the fact that they are increasingly outnumbered that is the problem.

They are still smug wankers though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here