Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would the world be a better place if we just hung people who commit crimes like this?

nlf

Mar 24, 2008
Everyone will obviously have an opinion on this because its a pretty huge subject, and people can sit on their computers for hours ranting at other NSC users for having the opposite opinion but at the end of the day the sad fact is that no matter what the opinions of NSC users are, this country will not improve all the time we have two major factors stopping anything changing -

1. Punishment in this country is not harsh enough (even if you dont agree with death penalty i feel most people do at least agree far too many people get off far too lightly)

2. Irresponsible people being allowed to have children, all the time there are parents who dont discipline their children or teach them right from wrong etc etc every 20-30 years we will have a new generation of mindless thugs who will go on to breed yet another generation of mindless thugs and so on and so forth

My personal opinion is that all the time these two factors remain the same we as a nation will just continue to get worse, yes we can voice our opinions but on the whole theres nothing we can do to stop it.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
You make some good points here which clarifies what you were saying. I think I misunderstood what you were getting at. I would even apologise if you hadnt called me a sanctimonious little tit.....

I apologise then. I was just talking about people's reactions to things like this, not the incident itself and was a bit narked at your response. :)

imo the death penalty should be brought back and used in only these circumstances.

1. The murder of any youth under and including the age of 16.

2. Multiple Murders

If these "kids" commiting these murders were hanged as an example, it would lower these incidences....though there is always the arguement that gangs wont care and will continue with what they do nevertheless

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
It does seem very steep. Outsourcing -that's the answer. If they can undercut the contracts for NHS paperwork, insurance call-centres and everything else, surely a private firm in India could look after our crims for a fraction of the cost.
Transportation. What an inspired idea! That will give Indian call centre firms something to do when they are undercut by the Chinese.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Everyone will obviously have an opinion on this because its a pretty huge subject, and people can sit on their computers for hours ranting at other NSC users for having the opposite opinion but at the end of the day the sad fact is that no matter what the opinions of NSC users are, this country will not improve all the time we have two major factors stopping anything changing -

1. Punishment in this country is not harsh enough (even if you dont agree with death penalty i feel most people do at least agree far too many people get off far too lightly)

2. Irresponsible people being allowed to have children, all the time there are parents who dont discipline their children or teach them right from wrong etc etc every 20-30 years we will have a new generation of mindless thugs who will go on to breed yet another generation of mindless thugs and so on and so forth

My personal opinion is that all the time these two factors remain the same we as a nation will just continue to get worse, yes we can voice our opinions but on the whole theres nothing we can do to stop it.

Nail, on head, hit the. :clap::clap: There's no question that the death penalty is no deterrent and in many countries it's not even more economical. The main purpose of the death penalty is revenge. It's all well and good saying you don't believe in it but what if it was your child that had been brutally murdered ? What if it was your father who was kicked to death for merely complaining to somebody vandalising his property ? I could go on as there are countless examples of worthless individuals who kill and maim without any conscience or even pity for their victims or shame for their crimes. I know what I would want personally. Mind you I feel that if parents were forced to take more responsibility then things might, just might, be a bit different.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Mind you I feel that if parents were forced to take more responsibility then things might, just might, be a bit different.

Maybe you've just stubled accross the ultimate 'make an example' Frank.

What about if the PARENTS of the next little scrott convicted of murder were the ones that had to push the button on their own CHILDS electric chair! :clap2:

Maybe then we'd get parents taking responsibility for their childs actions! :p

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Maybe you've just stubled accross the ultimate 'make an example' Frank.

What about if the PARENTS of the next little scrott convicted of murder were the ones that had to push the button on their own CHILDS electric chair! :clap2:

Maybe then we'd get parents taking responsibility for their childs actions! :p

To be honest a lot parents would be glad to be rid of what amounted to the result of a quick, unprotected shag, doubt that would help much. If some (not all) parents were made to take responsibility for the fruit of their loins then I am pretty sure things would be different. Frankly I am all in favour of a curfew for under 18s, draconian as that might sound.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Or how about putting effort in before hand and try to deal with the cause of it. Locking kids......and it is getting to the stage where most of these murders are bing committed by kids under 18....up isnt the answer.

We need to keep kids off the streets and stop them killing in the first place, not spend time wondering what to do once they are in the penal system. Im sure most people want the problem minimized, not managed.

I slightly agree, but the point made before I completely agree with (prisons shouldn't be something that makes them feel comfortable). Something does need to be done to try and prevent it from happening, but unfortunately there will always be people who will do it regardless, and this is when the good standards of prisons need to be looked at.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Exactly what I've been thinking.

I think most of us on here would agree that the death peanlty is not the solution and, in any event, I can't ever see it being brought back. BUT, if someone is convicted of a crime and sent to prison, I think they should be deprived of any luxuries and made to feel that they don't want to be there. It should be as horrible a place as it can be - stuff the Human Rights Act.

If someone commits a crime of a level which earns a custodial sentence, surely they have forfeited any rights to a comfortable existence?

That said, we still need to tackle the causes of crime in the first place and I really think we have one enormous great steaming pile of a problem here. It must start with more respect and discipline both at home and at school, but Christ knows how this can be achieved?

Everything here I completely agree with. The death penalty is not the answer, but prison sentences should reflect that of the crime and they should serve that amount (not get out half way through their sentence), and prison should be a punishment.

You are also right that the root of crimes seriously needs to be tackled, and again think that comes down to the most important aspect - parenting (or lack of it) and the fact there is no respect.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here