Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would the world be a better place if we just hung people who commit crimes like this?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
No. The death penalty isn't a deterrent. We tried it once but people were still murdering and raping etc. Violence doesn't cure violence.

Putting people on death row would probably cost more than imprisoning them for life too.

Yeah coz rope is £1 per mtr compared to £80,000 per year :shrug:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No. The death penalty isn't a deterrent. We tried it once but people were still murdering and raping etc. Violence doesn't cure violence.

Putting people on death row would probably cost more than imprisoning them for life too.

In the US the legal costs of appeals brings the costs up.

Fatboy Stenno

Feb 26, 2007
Haywards Heath
Maybe it should, but again the good old 'Human Rights Act' would prevent some poor little sod who was disrupting a whole class getting one round the knuckles meaning the teachers can't do anything meaningful to stop it!

As far as i'm concerned if you cannot prevent the cause all you can do is increase the deterrant as much as possible. For me that means sod the human rights of anyone in jail who doesn't want to try and reform. Prisoners should be made to complete various courses while in jail that might improve their lives when they are released.

Even petty crimes should ALWAYS carry community service punishments. Especially the type of punishments where the little OIKS, to whom image is everything, are made to pick litter, clean graffiti & clean public toilets, all in High Vis, HM Prisons workwear

Exactly what I've been thinking.

I think most of us on here would agree that the death peanlty is not the solution and, in any event, I can't ever see it being brought back. BUT, if someone is convicted of a crime and sent to prison, I think they should be deprived of any luxuries and made to feel that they don't want to be there. It should be as horrible a place as it can be - stuff the Human Rights Act.

If someone commits a crime of a level which earns a custodial sentence, surely they have forfeited any rights to a comfortable existence?

That said, we still need to tackle the causes of crime in the first place and I really think we have one enormous great steaming pile of a problem here. It must start with more respect and discipline both at home and at school, but Christ knows how this can be achieved?

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Shame

What is interesting is that everyone agrees the current situation is wrong and everyone has some ideas about what to do - from providing increased leisure activities for kids to increasing discipline and punishment. Actually, the best solution is surely a combination of carrott and stick - but the shame is the government just look impotent and do nothing. And I am not sure the Tories would be any more effective.

I think we need a concerted effort to provide a spectrum of help and discipline to badly behaved kids. Along the line if help is constantly refused then they MUST be punished. It is because there is no current mechanism for this that they are so cocky and wayward. A point that is often missed is that not only are they are a nuisance and threat to other people, they are surely not happy people themselves. They need boundaries enforced in order to grow. Their parents, and us as a society, are not helping them by being soft. It is neglectful and we are failing them.

We need to invest in sports and youth clubs. But we also need disclipne back in school. That means if you are expelled you dont hang around shopping centres and estates intimidating and theiving, you go to borstal. It also means we need zero tolerance policing and sentencing as in New York. This is effective. Finally, I think some acts are just so damned evil that the death penalty is justified - but that is just my opinion.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must start with more respect

Couldn't agree more on Respect.

The trouble is the word used to mean one respected the rights/feelings of others. These days its used as justification for a ferral gang to murder someone because they don't show enough respect!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Either way the incident is still horrific but some differentiation needs to be made between those that go out with the intention of killing and those that dont. If the suspect did hit the poor lad and didnt mean to kill him then he would more than likely to be convicted of Manslaughter anyway, which will NEVER carry a death sentence even if we did bring it back.

Not strictly true: to be convicted of murder, it must be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant intended to kill OR cause grievous bodily harm to the victim.

Therefore given that it's a reasonable assumption that smashing a glass object over somebody's head (as appears to be the case here), is likely to cause such grievous harm, and that fact would be obvious to a reasonable person, a murder charge is the likely outcome.

There are defences to murder which may result in a verdict of manslaughter being offered to a jury, but these are highly unlikely to apply in this case (diminished responsibility, provocation, suicide pacts etc). As for the common law offence of manslaughter in itself, it all gets a bit complex, but suffice it to say that the defendant would have to have shown the intent to commit an unlawful act, ie an assault, which in this case, if proven, would provide the evidence for a murder conviction in any case.

I think ;o)

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
In my opinion the biggest problem is a lack of discipline and respect. When growing up I was taught to respect people and respect my elders. Less than 10 years on a culture with a significant lack of respect has replaced it. Parents are either choosing not to teach their children respect or are trying and failing. Teachers are unable to teach them respect. And ultimately the police are unable to.

Someone needs to take responsibility and try and restore the respect in kids these days.

and people said that less than 10 years before less than ten years ago, and less than ten years before that, and less than ten years before that, and.....ad nauseum

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
it would be very naive to think that putting money into "youth centres" and sports will help solve the problem

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Send your smug. complacent answer to the families of deceased......

what the frig has my comment got to do with that you sanctimonious little tit?

Why is it, when a case like this turns up, people always bang on about the death penalty, nostalgic yearnings for times gone by, be it 10 years ago, 20, 30 whatever, it doesn't matter (what I was commenting on) and what the government should be/isn't doing.

This is an extreme case obviously, but what about the aggression that's so common in British society? That's got f*** all to do with governments or education. It's a culture of machismo that grown men can't seem to let go of(see the west st firm thread for a quick example). No one seems to talk about that and yet, for most people I know, it's the thing they hate the most about England.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
what the frig has my comment got to do with that you sanctimonious little tit?

Why is it, when a case like this turns up, people always bang on about the death penalty, nostalgic yearnings for times gone by, be it 10 years ago, 20, 30 whatever, it doesn't matter (what I was commenting on) and what the government should be/isn't doing.

This is an extreme case obviously, but what about the aggression that's so common in British society? That's got f*** all to do with governments or education. It's a culture of machismo that grown men can't seem to let go of(see the west st firm thread for a quick example). No one seems to talk about that and yet, for most people I know, it's the thing they hate the most about England.

You make some good points here which clarifies what you were saying. I think I misunderstood what you were getting at. I would even apologise if you hadnt called me a sanctimonious little tit.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The whole penal justice system in this country needs a total overhaul!! £80,000 a year to keep a person in prison!!!

It does seem very steep. Outsourcing -that's the answer. If they can undercut the contracts for NHS paperwork, insurance call-centres and everything else, surely a private firm in India could look after our crims for a fraction of the cost.

Failing that, I'll keep two in my shed for half of that :thumbsup:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The whole penal justice system in this country needs a total overhaul!! £80,000 a year to keep a person in prison!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Is that correct, EIGHTY grand?!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here