Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be such a bad thing if we went down?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Gully said:
Les, I agree with you about El-Abd as future captain material, not sure if he is ready yet though.

Why not though? He is very vocal on the pitch and the kind of player who leads by example on the pitch. He may be young but look at Reo-Coker at West Ham.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Rougvie said:
Its a f***ing disatster, lets be honest, we had a better squad last time round, and we only made the lottery of the play-offs, there is no guarantee that our best players would stay (Seb Carole for starters) and the revenue for TV, matchday income etc is VITAL for Falmer.

I re-iterate is a f***ing disaster that can be averted if Dick Knight acts after the inevitable defeat tonight and remove McGhee.

And replace with who ???

All well and good calling for McGhee's head but if all with have to replace him with is Hinshelwood and Booker we ARE f***ed

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Why is the squad worse than last time? Remember players such as Virgo and Harding were not regulars to start with in that campaign so some of the youngsters could prove themselves like they did. Sure we had Knight banging them in but whats to say CKR or Robinson or Gatting won't in that division.

For Roberts read Henderson
For Cullip read Hinshelwood

The wingers are also a vast improvement on what we had at that time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Surely players will develop by testing themselves against those of a higher standard, so relegation would put too many in a comfort zone.

Being in a lower division will affect some of the sale of naming rights, corporate boxes and advertising for Falmer.

Being in a lower division will mean less tv revenue.

Being in a lower division will mean going to complete shit holes like Chesterfield, Oldham, Blackpool etc.

So going down would be really bad.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
blockhseagull said:
And replace with who ???

All well and good calling for McGhee's head but if all with have to replace him with is Hinshelwood and Booker we ARE f***ed

Well, Booker as caretaker, at least he still commands the respect of most of the players McGhee has lost most of them now and the only way to stay usp is to remove McGhee to stop the rit.

I was behind McGhee after a wobble just before Xmas, but things I have heard from fairly reputable sources lead me to believe that his time is well and truly up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So lets say we sack Mcghee, DK breaks the bank and pays the wages of a few premiership players (the transfer window is closed in case some of you hadn't noticed) and we still go down. If we were f***ed before then we'll be seriously f***ed if that happens. The damage is already done for this season, time to prepare for league 1 (financially) and if we stay up then it's a bonus

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Surely players will develop by testing themselves against those of a higher standard, so relegation would put too many in a comfort zone.

Being in a lower division will affect some of the sale of naming rights, corporate boxes and advertising for Falmer.

Being in a lower division will mean less tv revenue.

Being in a lower division will mean going to complete shit holes like Chesterfield, Oldham, Blackpool etc.

So going down would be really bad.

Why would it put them in a comfort zone? Thats a f***ing stupid thing to say.

The money issue is a problem but I mean't it more in terms of the team.

Shit holes yes, but shit holes we have more of a chance of winning at.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Les Biehn said:
Why is the squad worse than last time? Remember players such as Virgo and Harding were not regulars to start with in that campaign so some of the youngsters could prove themselves like they did. Sure we had Knight banging them in but whats to say CKR or Robinson or Gatting won't in that division.

The squad LACKS the experience of a younger Chippy and to a degree Charlie who I cannot see being the player he was in that season, we also miss a LEADER on Danny Cullip who has NEVER been replaced.

We also dont seem to have a PROVEN goalscorer at ANY level.

I sugest you WISE UP and look at the FACTS.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This financial disaster argument is crap as long as we are doing well in Div 1. Thats the big IF. A team at the top and winning most weeks will pull a bigger crowd in Div 1 than a team in the bottom 3 that always loses in the CCC. FACT.

Last time we went down the crowds were still decent, and if we are doing ok it will be exactly the same this time.

We have a better squad for Div 1 than we had last time, but we do need a striker that will find the net, Im confident CKR would be that man in that division

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
Why would it put them in a comfort zone? Thats a f***ing stupid thing to say.

The money issue is a problem but I mean't it more in terms of the team.

Shit holes yes, but shit holes we have more of a chance of winning at.

Comfort zone as the challenge of the opposition would not be as good. Test themselves against the best and it can only help their development.

I would rather not have to visit League One again, there is something about the places in it that are so drab.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Rougvie said:
Well, Booker as caretaker, at least he still commands the respect of most of the players McGhee has lost most of them now and the only way to stay usp is to remove McGhee to stop the rit.

I was behind McGhee after a wobble just before Xmas, but things I have heard from fairly reputable sources lead me to believe that his time is well and truly up.

Yeah because Booker did a tremendous job last time didn't he

Three straight defeats if i remember correctly...must not allow him to be in charge again.

I actually believe it might be time to change Booker and White, i sometimes think it's a bit too pally with the players and the coaching staff and might be time for McGhee to bring in someone he wants to work with rather than have the assistant Knight picked

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Rougvie said:
The squad LACKS the experience of a younger Chippy and to a degree Charlie who I cannot see being the player he was in that season, we also miss a LEADER on Danny Cullip who has NEVER been replaced.

I suggest you WISE UP and stop being such a pessimistic prick. Butters would do a job in the div below for another season and he would be a great leader. Or Gary Hart or El-Abd. Knight was proven in that division but was shit in this one. CKR and Robinson have great potential, what says they won't do it in the division below just because they haven't in this one.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Albion Dan said:
This financial disaster argument is crap as long as we are doing well in Div 1. Thats the big IF. A team at the top and winning most weeks will pull a bigger crowd in Div 1 than a team in the bottom 3 that always loses in the CCC. FACT.

Last time we went down the crowds were still decent, and if we are doing ok it will be exactly the same this time.

We have a better squad for Div 1 than we had last time, but we do need a striker that will find the net, Im confident CKR would be that man in that division

But when it comes to selling a lot of the Falmer packages, we need to be in as higher level as possible. Flogging corporate boxes for the chance of seeing Leeds and Wolves is going to be a whole lot easier than the prospect of Chesterfield and Hartlepool.

Also being in this league guarantees us coverage on the TV flagship programme, which is going to be more of an incentive when it comes to naming rites and advertising.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Les Biehn said:
I suggest you WISE UP and stop being such a pessimistic prick. Butters would do a job in the div below for another season and he would be a great leader. Or Gary Hart or El-Abd. Knight was proven in that division but was shit in this one. CKR and Robinson have great potential, what says they won't do it in the division below just because they haven't in this one.

I sugest you come along to Carrow Road tonight and call me a prick to my face.

I am sure you will have no problem finding me.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Rougvie said:

All of these can be replaced in the SUMMER. At the end of the day relegation is BAD, no one is disputing that, but it WON'T be the end of the club like some people are trying to IMPLY, and if you don't want to watch the CLUB in league one then don't GO. It's not the end of the WORLD

1066gull

Gatting* and CKR would be getting 15 goals each if given a proper run.

*Depends if he scores in this league this season, and get his confidence sky high.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Comfort zone as the challenge of the opposition would not be as good. Test themselves against the best and it can only help their development.

But if thats the case then why do so many players drop down divisions before they come back up and why do clubs send them out on loan? They are young so playing at any professional level is good experience and if they can exert more pressure on the game than their confidence will go up, meaning they will play better, we will have more chance of getting promoted and hey presto they are playing at a higher level testing themselves against better players.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
also must consider that we have sold players to stay in existance in the championship. Doubt if we'd get the same transfer fee back when mid table in league 1

Relagation would be bad all round, any one who says not has got the rose tints out again

1066gull

Rougvie said:

Errrrrrrrm, don't you think Jason Dodd is a wise leader?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Albion Dan said:

I think last time we went down we went down fighting from that Bradford 3-2 result in November onwards, yes there were blips like PNE at home but since Leeds the performances and spirit have not been there and people are getting cheesed off with it. Its not too late yet but we got to start scrapping for every ball from tonight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here