Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wot the hell were you, in your misspent youth..!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What is a casual? :nono:

SHAME on you.

They are the reasons you wear cool trainers...

l45f1976f650055f4a28d54hc9.jpg

Birkenhead circa 1979

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
one of these?
284717407_a52fbd1646.jpg

Ah A Yammy 16er! Nearly bought one of those.

I had a Garelli Tiger Cross. Could get 60 m.p.h. out of it in a good wind! Remember buying it in Ann Street in the Preston Park area.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I had a flat top in the early 80s as got into Theare of Hate. Used to go and see them a lot and they were often supported by the Meteors who psychobilly will no doubt be well aware of. They were great. Remember my trips up to Kensington Market to buy my flight jacket which I still have plus trips to Robot to get my shoes. Don't know if that's still going! Some mates of mine at the time formed a band called 'Under two Flags' and they managed to get signed to Beggars Banquet and released a couple of singles. Does anyone remember them?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Have you lot seen that bloke who hangs around the N.Lanes with a bald bonce and a wedge of black hair only on the top at the front? What's THAT about??
It looks like a stick protruding from his head, and he occasionally wears a woolly hat resting behind it.

:shrug:

his name is mike the spike and has an extreme form of a horseshoe haircut from the early 80s psychobilly scene king kurt / meteors etc. punk:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Punk/New wave had a bright orange Mohawk for a bit, then full on Goth (Subderfuge saturday nights) Then turned a bit Robert Smith (less hassle, just messy) then into full on bearded long haired bright hat wearing hippy. I remember wearing make up to the 83 cup final, with eye liner seagulls on my face and getting my arse pinced by Man Utd fans.

Now round chubby, grey and balding wondering what all that hairspray and dye was about. punk:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Punk/New wave had a bright orange Mohawk for a bit, then full on Goth (Subderfuge saturday nights) Then turned a bit Robert Smith (less hassle, just messy) then into full on bearded long haired bright hat wearing hippy. I remember wearing make up to the 83 cup final, with eye liner seagulls on my face and getting my arse pinced by Man Utd fans.

Now round chubby, grey and balding wondering what all that hairspray and dye was about. punk:

Did you later find out they had crabs then :ohmy:

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
where's all the e-generation gone? who went to the zap club for tonka and coco club?

a lot of people have referenced the masucine subcultures of 70's and 80's but where were you in '87? dancing on a beach at black rock?

so who was there say 85 to about 96? big beat boutique anyone - queuing up outside the old concorde? i'm talking garry nelson, ecstacy, gulls eye, the balearic beat ...

i was only born in '83 but interested to hear others stories.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
where's all the e-generation gone? who went to the zap club for tonka and coco club?

a lot of people have referenced the masucine subcultures of 70's and 80's but where were you in '87? dancing on a beach at black rock?

so who was there say 85 to about 96? big beat boutique anyone - queuing up outside the old concorde? i'm talking garry nelson, ecstacy, gulls eye, the balearic beat ...

the priory perphaps ?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Anyone read Human Punk by John King, I was not a fan of his football books like the football factory but Human Punk hit a cord with me.

Set in late 70's when the main charector gets into punk (the ruts) and skinhead culture, then covers a period when he travels around the world (rave era) and then more recently when he runs a Ska/Punk DJ outfit. Great read I found it very evocotive as I also travelled a lot in the 80's and 90's.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

I know there are loads of former Acid House heads on NSC. I used to be really into punk and hardcore until I was persuaded to go to a rave. Not that I stopped liking that kind of music, I just discovered I could dance and the atmosphere at raves made the gigs I was going to regularly seem like funerals. Well not that bad but....
You got all sorts at raves too. Rich kids to crusties, hippys to scallies. Used to bump into people who I used to see going to hardcore gigs quite often. Brilliant times.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

:wave:

i was there doing all that , happy times , was living in london at the time so used to do all the london clubs too and the illegal raves in a field thing where you had to listen to the illegal radio station who would tell you to meet at an obscure petrol station where people would come up to the car to sell you drugs. then all of a sudden everyone left, follow the cars out to kent or surrey and you ended up at a field with a 30 k soundsystem , sometimes the police stopped it most of the time they didnt. in fact i can still throw a few shapes on the dancefloor now at 38

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Anyone read Human Punk by John King, I was not a fan of his football books like the football factory but Human Punk hit a cord with me.

Set in late 70's when the main charector gets into punk (the ruts) and skinhead culture, then covers a period when he travels around the world (rave era) and then more recently when he runs a Ska/Punk DJ outfit. Great read I found it very evocotive as I also travelled a lot in the 80's and 90's.

Very good read indeed. Thought it reflected the genuine punk feeling really well. Also thought White trash was good although a little disturbing at the end!

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Very good read indeed. Thought it reflected the genuine punk feeling really well. Also thought White trash was good although a little disturbing at the end!

On his London Books website, its says he is currently planning to make Human Punk into a film with Turnstyle films. Look forward to seeing the ruts gig recreated.

I've just resereved Skinheads from the libary to see if its as good.

his name is mike the spike and has an extreme form of a horseshoe haircut from the early 80s psychobilly scene king kurt / meteors etc. punk:

Er..... it's unique, but a somewhat 'unfortunate' look to have, surely.
He might be alright, but invites the lable 'dick-head' for that style of head fashion.
I notice he is alone, every time I see the bloke, but perhaps he's always 'travelling from one mate to another' (trying to be kind, here).

Anyway, mostly not a haircut I'll be getting this month :lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Er..... it's unique, but a somewhat 'unfortunate' look to have, surely.
He might be alright, but invites the lable 'dick-head' for that style of head fashion.
I notice he is alone, every time I see the bloke, but perhaps he's always 'travelling from one mate to another' (trying to be kind, here).

Anyway, mostly not a haircut I'll be getting this month :lolol:

cant argue on the hair cut front (OTT) and especially after i found out he is way older than me and dyes the thing :eek:

he has a fair few mates and djs at gigs in brighton and london, met him a few times here and abroad at the bigger gigs (germany/spain) ooooh and he can attract the ladies :eek: little boring despite his crazy over the top barnet.......still hes from yorkshire which adds up, nice bloke though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here