Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wot the hell were you, in your misspent youth..!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
From memory the reason for its popularity was its ability to do nearly 70mph wind assisted,as most other mopeds of 50cc were either governed to 50mph or just pants to ride

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Apologies in advance for being massively naive, but what is a casual? Bear in mind that my formative years at football were from 1990.

dedicated to following the fashions and trends on the terraces, although some will just say hooligans...........

footballcasual.com will also fill you in.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hah! I mock your early 80's Fizzies - I started biking in 1981 on a mighty Honda CB125S - the S standing for Stopping every 200 miles due to rust in the tank blocking the carb. Distraught Mum was certain I would kill myself so I lied that it was the biggest bike I would ever have.

Two years later I had an ex-production racer 750 Norton and an even more distraught Mum - load of bloody nonsense as I actually had my worst accident with a broken arm while riding a piddling little 125 trail bike...

Anyway the Norton was so unreliable I spent more time taking it apart than riding it. It looked and sounded nice I suppose when it was (occasionally) going.

So, getting around to the thread topic I suppose I was a biker, but having had many bikes since then and only having disposed of my old Z650 a short while back with the definite objective of getting another one soon, maybe I'm still a biker!

By the way, if any NSC bike riders have a middleweight bike they can recommend I would appreciate your opinion - not ridden these modern machines with all this water cooling and upside down forks stuff - I'm sure they are all wonderful compared to the stuff I have ridden over the years

I do remember there were Mods about in the 1980's who didn't like us bikers much. I have to say they seemed to be about 20 years too late - wasn't that all a 1960's thing?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
one of these?
284717407_a52fbd1646.jpg

Yep :smokin:

Started on a Honda SS50 not knowing anything at the time about 2 strokes & 4 strokes and then sold it and bought the Fizzy.

Wish i had kept it, upwards of 3 grand they go for now, bought mainly as ornaments now as a reminder of their past youth but the 40+ like myself.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
jakarta "I do remember there were Mods about in the 1980's who didn't like us bikers much. I have to say they seemed to be about 20 years too late - wasn't that all a 1960's thing?"

Yep the 80s mods were mainly a product of Quadrophenia and the northern soul scene in the North west plus the jam etc .Some of the mods later evolved into Scooter boys who then would fight with the mods ! go work that out

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Hah! I mock your early 80's Fizzies - I started biking in 1981 on a mighty Honda CB125S - the S standing for Stopping every 200 miles due to rust in the tank blocking the carb. Distraught Mum was certain I would kill myself so I lied that it was the biggest bike I would ever have.

Two years later I had an ex-production racer 750 Norton and an even more distraught Mum - load of bloody nonsense as I actually had my worst accident with a broken arm while riding a piddling little 125 trail bike...

Anyway the Norton was so unreliable I spent more time taking it apart than riding it. It looked and sounded nice I suppose when it was (occasionally) going.

So, getting around to the thread topic I suppose I was a biker, but having had many bikes since then and only having disposed of my old Z650 a short while back with the definite objective of getting another one soon, maybe I'm still a biker!

By the way, if any NSC bike riders have a middleweight bike they can recommend I would appreciate your opinion - not ridden these modern machines with all this water cooling and upside down forks stuff - I'm sure they are all wonderful compared to the stuff I have ridden over the years

I do remember there were Mods about in the 1980's who didn't like us bikers much. I have to say they seemed to be about 20 years too late - wasn't that all a 1960's thing?

A Suzuki Bandit or a Yamaha Fazer will do you.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
jakarta "I do remember there were Mods about in the 1980's who didn't like us bikers much. I have to say they seemed to be about 20 years too late - wasn't that all a 1960's thing?"

Yep the 80s mods were mainly a product of Quadrophenia and the northern soul scene in the North west plus the jam etc .Some of the mods later evolved into Scooter boys who then would fight with the mods ! go work that out

Punks used to fight mods as well. Even though both liked the Jam.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
mods just looked like they needed a good slap....

anyway was that because the jam were punk then said they were something else ie mod and then said we are beyond mod and now..............shit :laugh:

The Jam were not the only punk band to turn mod. Hastings very own Teenbeats and a former punk front man. Shocking.

It was quite weird in those days. All those little groups. Punks,Teds, skins, Bikers,mods. all fighting each other.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I remember the days of year 8 and 9, were I used to think I was cool to go out and get pissed on a freezing night walking around:rolleyes:

Some of the mods later evolved into Scooter boys who then would fight with the mods ! go work that out

They preferred soul and ska. They lost the wing mirrors and flyscreens of their scooters and some would even "vandalise" them by having them cut down into choppers. Dresswise, parkas were replaced with Harrington or Flight jackets, staypress trousers with baggy combats, and shoes with Dr Martins. Part or fully shaved heads were the order of the day, but the make of scooter remained unchanged, invariably Italian (Vespas and Lambrettas).

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Skater, then Jam loving boy-racer, tearing round the town on Friday and Saturday nights in my rod, getting producers left right and centre, then had a go at domestic bliss for a while! Never got into any fights, as I wasn't looking for them, and at over 6ft., they never found me... :ohmy:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They preferred soul and ska. They lost the wing mirrors and flyscreens of their scooters and some would even "vandalise" them by having them cut down into choppers. Dresswise, parkas were replaced with Harrington or Flight jackets, staypress trousers with baggy combats, and shoes with Dr Martins. Part (HORSESHOE YOU MEAN ) or fully shaved heads were the order of the day, but the make of scooter remained unchanged, invariably Italian (Vespas and Lambrettas).

yeah i was a rockabilly / psychobilly come scooter boy for about 2 years as the rallies were all incompassing like you say but not forgetting the likes of the king kurt etc

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Coming home every Friday and Saturday night, freezing cold, I'd hardly say good times.:lolol:

I do wish I was a 60's lad though, the gear they wore back then was wicked.

1) Never use the word "Wicked" again. :lolol::ohmy:
2) They were good at the time, and i'm glad I did that, so I can look back on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here