Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst violence at the Goldstone ?

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
To put it mildly. On the final whistle a few jumped onto the pitch from the North Stand, at which point twice the number of Pompey confronted them. The Brighton lads turned and ran. I was watching from the NW terrace (which had lots of Portsmouth supporters in there too).

Remember Pompey kicking down the wooden hoardings first before steaming down the North East terrace (bottom part of that terrace was deemed unsafe at the time) to confront the Brighton who were on the pitch
Most of Brighton (mainly kids) scarpered back in the North stand

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yeah right .

Actually, they were, at the match on the other hand....

Never seen a night in the town quite like it. I stepped off a bus in Churchill Square and half 6 and was punched by a Chelsea fan before both feet landed on the ground :lolol:

Must've seen it kick off over 20 times in the next few hours, getting more progressively violent and involving bigger numbers, by midnight West St was a very dangerous place to be a Chelsea fan...

30 odd stabbed on the Friday night most of them Chelsea fans as I recall...

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes it was bad, but the worst one I ever saw was millwall when we won 3-2 evening game with them being put underneath the west stand...afterwards was really scary and I can remember sitting on a doorstep in goldstone lane hoping the maniacs wouldn't set about me...

Is that the one where someone was stabbed outside the west stand, almost in Old Shoreham Road? I was a child and I remember my dad trying to stop me seeing the poor chap.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm intrigued to know the full story from some of these events, being born in 1992 I have no idea what happened on that boxing day against Palace, the Chelsea game in '83 or the Spurs one.

Anyone mind filling me in? Genuinely interested in it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm intrigued to know the full story from some of these events, being born in 1992 I have no idea what happened on that boxing day against Palace, the Chelsea game in '83 or the Spurs one.

I was looking for the thread specific to the Arsenal game.
I remember someone on here posting the scanned the Argus coverage of the event.

Anyhoo in looking for that, I found this:-

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...-seen-at-goldstone&highlight=violence+Arsenal

A little more in depth, with photos.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Bit of a punch up in the East Stand around 82/83 with West Ham they were in there mob handed and got battered so much for the infamous ICF !!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Bit of a punch up in the East Stand around 82/83 with West Ham they were in there mob handed and got battered so much for the infamous ICF !!!

The ICF were in the south stand for a pre season friendly (late eighties?). Picked on and beat up some innocent Brighton fans. :thumbdown:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Surely this is a thread for the Pretty Pink Fairy and his wisdom on football violence

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doing a compare and contrast, from glancing through the thread above and today, 30 years later.

I was around the age that Jnr stat is now (9), and the violence kept me from The Albion.
Jnr along with the other young'uns, pretty much have the run of the Family Stand irrespective as to where I am.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Surely this is a thread for the Pretty Pink Fairy and his wisdom on football violence

I'm sure at some stage his pressence will be felt
In the meantime he's another pic from that Chelsea pitch invasion 83 image.jpg

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Actually, they were, at the match on the other hand....

Never seen a night in the town quite like it. I stepped off a bus in Churchill Square and half 6 and was punched by a Chelsea fan before both feet landed on the ground :lolol:

Must've seen it kick off over 20 times in the next few hours, getting more progressively violent and involving bigger numbers, by midnight West St was a very dangerous place to be a Chelsea fan...

30 odd stabbed on the Friday night most of them Chelsea fans as I recall...

Spot on.
Going on off everywhere. The lanes was also busy that night. Police found a stash of petrol bombs Brighton fans had planned on using :eek: Chelsea may well have had the better on the Saturday but friday night was a different story.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I wouldn't have thought so.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Remember sitting in Hove Park in the mid 80's, enjoying the sunshine before a game. Suddenly I heard a faint, dull noise. I strained to make it out. Then it dawned on me what it was..." Leeds, Leeds, Leeds " I was out of there like Usain Bolt out the traps. The refreshment kiosk emptied as if a tidal wave was due. Drinks and food quickly forgotten.
There must have been 300-400 of them looking for trouble and they weren't disappointed.
I think the ugliest games I went to were Spurs 78, Chelsea 83 and Pompey late 70's ( we won 4-0 ) After giving up fighting in the ground, the Pompey fans left early, smashing virtually every car windscreen and aerials between the ground and Hove station. Then ,they lay in wait.
Also remember Millwall ( more than once ) and Cardiff. Horrible, horrible games.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was looking for the thread specific to the Arsenal game.
I remember someone on here posting the scanned the Argus coverage of the event.

Anyhoo in looking for that, I found this:-

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...-seen-at-goldstone&highlight=violence+Arsenal

A little more in depth, with photos.

Just read through the old thread you have quoted here, #97 and #98 mention SHOTGUNS:eek:
Can anyone confirm this? #98 from Chicken Runner says someone had a shotgun in the North Stand.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
This scan is from the Chelsea v BHA programme Dec 31st 1983 .

The packed Chelsea Terrace referred to at the foot of the picture is in fact the North Stand

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 274

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here