Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst violence at the Goldstone ?

Yes ok i see what you mean .

Not in the ground , but ile go with Huddersfield at the goldstone they poor buggers got a right kicking after the match caught between two groups of Brighton in the street up from the east stand which name escapes me , the street looked like a war zone after , police were caught on the hop and took ages to realise what was happening .

Fonthill road on the corner of hove park villas,about 70 huddersfield came steaming along unaware that around 120 brighton had just turned the corner into newtown road,some of them were left knocked out and minus jackets and shoes,disgusting scenes:(

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Then a few weeks later we signed the wanker . First time i took a kicking and half chelsea's mob came from crawley !

And quite an influential element from The May tree in Hove!

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
Spurs April 1978

My dad took me to the Spurs game in 1978 when I was about 13 and we were in the North Stand. Spurs 'fans' had also got into the North Stand and I remember how frightening it was when the they charged, causing a crush. I recall someone's arm being trapped around my neck and feeling myself struggling to breathe. Fortunately I got dragged onto the pitch by a copper and my dad ended up with a massive bruise all down one side of his chest. I spent the rest of the game in a state of fear in the North west corner watching the Spurs yobs left in the North. Hated Spurs ever since.

I was on the north west terrace for this game(getting into the ground at 1230 for a 3pm kick off) and watching in amazement as hundreds of Albion fans were chased out of the North Stand. The fans jumped into the NW area right by us. It was terrifying. There must have been about 32000 crammed into the ground. Health and safety?!!
I also remember a big ruck on Hove station against Palace around the same time with light bulbs being unscrewed from the ancient British Rail trains and thrown at the fans on the platform

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was on the north west terrace for this game(getting into the ground at 1230 for a 3pm kick off) and watching in amazement as hundreds of Albion fans were chased out of the North Stand. The fans jumped into the NW area right by us. It was terrifying. There must have been about 32000 crammed into the ground. Health and safety?!!

35 years of hating Spurs since that day.

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
I was working as a waiter at that time for the Little Chef ( now sadly no longer with us) on the A23 near Hickstead. I remember coach loads of Chelsea fans 'stopping by' for some refreshment. No actual aggro but an air of menace. I wasn't surprised to hear of the trouble at the match.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I also remember a big ruck on Hove station against Palace around the same time with light bulbs being unscrewed from the ancient British Rail trains and thrown at the fans on the platform

The Spurs lot had got into the North stand as I don't believe there was any ticketing plus they wore the same colour scarves! I remember the charge and all the blokes around me yelling "stand your ground"...then the crush...truly terrifying, especially for a young lad

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The Spurs lot had got into the North stand as I don't believe there was any ticketing plus they wore the same colour scarves! I remember the charge and all the blokes around me yelling "stand your ground"...then the crush...truly terrifying, especially for a young lad

The game was all ticket, still got mine(sad but I collect Albion odds and ends), Spurs just broke the wire fence down between the North and North East corner.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Am I right in remembering that in subsequent games against Spurs and maybe others there were not only fences but they also had to take their bovver boots off? I was very young but have vague memories of the police guarding terrace after terrace of Doc Martin.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Am I right in remembering that in subsequent games against Spurs and maybe others there were not only fences but they also had to take their bovver boots off? I was very young but have vague memories of the police guarding terrace after terrace of Doc Martin.

That was the Arsenal game,....rows of boots in hove park, possibly the most pathetic decision I have ever witnessed.....never got my tatty old nine hole boots back, but I did get a nice shiny ten hole pair in exchange.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
The thrill of going to watch The Albion during those days with all the skirmishing, singing and chanting etc is one of the reasons why those on here that witnessed those events find the Amex and other stadia nowadays so quiet and sanitised. In those days the atmosphere used to build from friday evenings in the centre of town, pubs rammed with Albion fans. I used to really look forward to the weekends back then. Nowadays I see it as a nice afternoon out, thats what age does I suppose. Still I've got the memories of back then, now you can sit in a lovely padded seat and dream of days gone by.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The thrill of going to watch The Albion during those days with all the skirmishing, singing and chanting etc is one of the reasons why those on here that witnessed those events find the Amex and other stadia nowadays so quiet and sanitised. In those days the atmosphere used to build from friday evenings in the centre of town, pubs rammed with Albion fans. I used to really look forward to the weekends back then. Nowadays I see it as a nice afternoon out, thats what age does I suppose. Still I've got the memories of back then, now you can sit in a lovely padded seat and dream of days gone by.

Was too young to experience those days but they sound far more enjoyable than the home games we have today...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

West Ham, loads of skinheads turned up and some were in the North Stand before the game with nothing on their feet, think it was 0ct 78.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That was the Arsenal game,....rows of boots in hove park, possibly the most pathetic decision I have ever witnessed.....never got my tatty old nine hole boots back, but I did get a nice shiny ten hole pair in exchange.

West Ham, loads of skinheads turned up and some were in the North Stand before the game with nothing on their feet, think it was 0ct 78.

Cheers lads. I was very small at the time but it was so odd it made an image in my brain. Good to know I haven't totally lost my marbles.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
78 spurs in the South Stand got a good kicking and were done before the game in the bar area under the West Stand. The Albion took them by surprise and they had no where to go.The only time I have ever seen a crew surrender,They were allowed out and given a virtual 5 seconds start before we went for them again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here