Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst/Most hated player you've ever seen at the Albion?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Worse player for me though was that Goalkeeper. Graeme Smith, Cack wasn't the word

It was close,though,wasn't it ?

You've obviously been brung up proper,and your politeness shines through,rather like all Albion supporters.

Smith was one of our worst ever players,but the most disliked has to be that ruddy Peter Ward.He was just too brilliant for words,and made every Albion supporter playing at that time green with envy.I recall a newspaper report that said he turned so quickly that his number appeared on his chest.That's what I mean.Little show off.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Baz Savage, El Turi, Flapper Flinders. There were a few in the Withdean years that were shocking. Bizarrely many of them achieved some sort of cult status so were quite liked even though they were utter dog shit. Even Trolley had his own little fan base.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Worst - Graeme Smith. Utterly appalling excuse for a goalkeeper.

Most Disappointing - Livermore or Harley

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Worst - it has to be a player from the Pissfilled days, and there are plenty to choose from, but for me Richard Hilton just about edges out Mahoney-Johnson.

Think you mean DAMIEN Hilton who played for us (in the loosest possible sense of the word) whils tat Pissfield. How was quality rubbish.
RICHARD Tiltman , as has been said beforem was way out of his depth, though I recall him spectaularly rubbish in a 3-0 defeat at sheffield Utd.

I've decided npot to include players who had been good at previous clubs but who were dreadful for us. So for me the winner has to be Robert Codner.

and from recent times, kevin McCleod who ripped us to pieces when he played against us for QPR. but when he came to us was just awful.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Think you mean DAMIAN Hilton who played for us (in the loosest possible sense of the word) whils tat Pissfield. How was quality rubbish.
RICHARD Tiltman , as has been said beforem was way out of his depth, though I recall him spectaularly rubbish in a 3-0 defeat at sheffield Utd.

Yep, that's it DAMIEN Hilton. Played away to Barnet I think, and was a giant, but his feet were too far away from his head, or so it seemed, because all thought just took forever to register with his feet. Garbage, utter garbage.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
worst players I have seen play for us was Les Berry who was just shit and Les Briley in 1991-92 he was pure pony ...

most hated player for me has to be Mark Farrington the abuse he got from all sides of the goldstone and the man was a twat as well

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Worst was Ashley Neal.. no danger of me being convinced otherwise.

Don't think i've ever hated a player, though I guess the closest i've come to it was after Dean Hammond's incredibly bizarre reaction to the home fans when we played the SCC a couple of years ago at Withdean. No need for what he did. Compare his reaction to Glenn Murray's celebration against us last season...

Coupled with the way Hammond allegedly manipulated his way out of the club means there's no love lost there from me...

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Can't do hate when they're in Albion colours - they're on our side. I could have comfortably shot all of the team that played on our final day drubbing by Stoke when we lost 1-5 at the Withdean however. The only time I've ever walked out of a game - I thought if they are not trying, and I am paying money to watch them not trying, someone has to make a statement. And I wasn't the only one who walked out that day.

On a happier note I just loved Eric Potts and of course the inimitable Frank Worthington - Gary Stevens on his debut shone like a star even then - Lawro as a player not the sardonic idiot he is now on the BBC - no greater joy and anticipation of going to Withdean to watch Bobby Zamora and always thinking he'd score and we were invincible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't do hate when they're in Albion colours - they're on our side. I could have comfortably shot all of the team that played on our final day drubbing by Stoke when we lost 1-5 at the Withdean however. The only time I've ever walked out of a game - I thought if they are not trying, and I am paying money to watch them not trying, someone has to make a statement. And I wasn't the only one who walked out that day.

But that game 'didn't matter' (c) MMcGhee.

And shooting ALL of them would have been harsh. Doug Loft came on and was excellent. :thumbsup:

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
The name Graeme Smith rings a bell... Rangers have had 2 goalkeepers by the name, 1st came through the youth ranks the 2nd signed on a free and was 3rd choice

the 1st, thought he was better than he actually was, decided he was deserving of a 1st team place at Rangers... no, he was awful, so he left and signed for Motherwell

the 2nd, realised he wasn't that great and accepted he'd never be number 1... stuck around for a couple of years, never grumbled and moved on, loyal.

can you guess which one Brighton ended up with?

and i'm sorry!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
worst players I have seen play for us was Les Berry who was just shit and Les Briley in 1991-92 he was pure pony ...

most hated player for me has to be Mark Farrington the abuse he got from all sides of the goldstone and the man was a twat as well

1991-92!? I always thought you were around 16!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Biggest disappointment for me, given the ineptitude of his performance in the Palace home game last year, has been Harley. There have certainly been worse players than him over the years, but few have managed to make such a negative impression on me so fast.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Half way down the third page and nobody has mentioned Barndoor Davies yet? :O

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
After hearing of Liam Dickinson's recent departure from Southend United it made me wonder who was disliked or failed to impress the most at the Albion over the years. Mine would have to be 'Dicko', he was lazy, had a bad attitude and I've never seen a player more booed and abused at the Withdean (been coming since 2003). What do you think? ???

Ok the older generation. Anybody remember a useless little tubby winger from the late 60s George Waites.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I've never bought in to the genuine hatred for Scotty, pantomime villain yes, always plays well against us, and as has been discussed many times before, set up by Carl Griffiths to take 100% of the rap in the match at the Goldstone, although Griffiths was just (if not more) culpable.

Ashley Neal and Willie Young for me.

I can still remember the 1-5 at Fratton Park, with Young with his right arm permanently raised for non-existent offsides because he was too fat and slow to run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here