Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst/Most hated player you've ever seen at the Albion?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Disliked - Leon. Not by me, I thought Mcghee played him wrongly on the wing, watched it fail for far too long, and allowed the rest of the squad to play him bad passes deliberately. He was a loon, an ego out of his box, but one thing he COULD do was score goals.

Worst was Maybank. He partnered Ward and seemed to only know how to pass the ball back to whoever gave it to him, he was only bought as an old-boy favour from Mullery for Fulham, and persevered with hopelessly only because Mullery had spent all that on him. He had to try and justify a poor purchase, even dropping Wardy to try and bolster his own claim. I lost all respect for Mullery there and stopped going to games.
We may have seen awful players, complete donkeys on the field for us - but nowhere near as long as Maybank was persisted with.

Most popular (I'll enjoy adding this) in my opinion have been Peter O'Sullivan, Brian Horton, Baz Savage (because of the moonwalk!), and Gary Hart.
Most revered is an easy category - Wardy, and Bobby Zamora.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
WORST is hard. I'm going to plump for WILLIE YOUNG.QUOTE]

funnily enough was talking to friends Tuesday before the match about 'end of career' players we'd signed. Willie Young came to mind as by far the worst, absolute shite.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Disliked - Codner after the rumoured Liverpool interest. Seemed to stop trying.
Worst - Many have been mentioned herein already. Tiltman was shocking but he was a county league player being asked to do too much by Lloyd so not his fault.
Popular - O'Sullivan, Gerry Ryan, Hart, Kraay, Genius (eventually), John Robinson, Garry Nelson.
Class - Vicente, Gotsmanov, Ward, Zamora, Lawrenson

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In terms of worst it has to be Mark Farrington. However, dishonorable mentions would be Ashley Neale and Mahoney Johnson.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Worst was Richard Tiltman.

Most disliked probably Andy Kennedy.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Just as an afterthought, on the popular player front Paul Dickov's spell was as committed an effort as I have ever seen from a loan signing.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I was hoping to move this thread on by naming new players. However think it's all been said:

Most disliked, yes CKR certainly. There is a picture of him 'celebrating' his goal for Venkys last night in today's Metro. There's a club/player match made in hell. Made me remember what an unpleasant person he is.

Worst. Choose from any number from the Gillingham years. It's a free market and some of them reflected the fact we were at the bottom of the pile back then. Plus Graeme Smith...a true Barry Lloyd gem!

Maybank and Bridges were two of those players who divided opinion and I recall some fans saying they were too good for the team - while others (including me) thought they were just bad (Teddy) or past-it (BB.)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Based on PERSONALITY (not ability) I would go DANNY CULLIP. He used to be a right BULLY.

Leon Knight was also a little shit. When he could not be ARSED to walk back onside it used to drive me MAD. Litterally a FAST WALK would have got him back onside, but that was too much to ask.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Richard Tiltman was comfortably the worst player ever seen in the stripes although during the Gillingham years there were some real shockers. Michael Mahoney-Johnson for example...
Tiltman was 10 x better than that waste of space MMJ he was the only Albion player I've thrown abuse at....he was a loanee....from QPR I think,never seen a player so disinterested in his play.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Since the Withdean era, Jamie Campbell was pretty shit.

For the biggest waste of space, you'd have to go far to beat David Livermore. A disciplinary record that puts Lewis Dunk's first half of last season to shame, and a clogging mentality as shinty player would die for.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
most hated-rachid harkouk,can still see him dance through the brighton defence and bag the equaliser

worst-johnny crumplin

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Since the Withdean era, Jamie Campbell was pretty shit.

For the biggest waste of space, you'd have to go far to beat David Livermore. A disciplinary record that puts Lewis Dunk's first half of last season to shame, and a clogging mentality as shinty player would die for.

Ah no no no, why did you just make me remember that night at Walsall again... I thought it had been banished from my memory... possibly the worst LB performance I have ever seen by a long way

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another vote for Ashley Neale and Mark Farrington.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Maheta Molango must be up there when it comes to one of the worst, how he ever managed to break Wardys record for the quickest Albion goal on a debut is beyond me. Was with the club 3 years and only made 6 apperances just about says it all really.
The Withdaen years are littered with forwards that were a real let down Paul Kitson, Dirk Lehmann, Joe Gatting, Chris McPhee, Steve Claridge, Wayne Gray, Gifton Noel-Williams, CKR, Scott Ramsey, Phil Stant, Federico Turienzo, Mark McCammon, Joe Anyinsah
and plenty more I've probably missed.
Can't say I've really hated any Albion players.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Worst - it has to be a player from the Pissfilled days, and there are plenty to choose from, but for me Richard Hilton just about edges out Mahoney-Johnson.

Hated - hmm, I'm really struggling to think of a Brighton player I've hated.

Disappointing - it will probably ALWAYS be Micky Thomas. I was just soooo excited when we signed him, and he was total cack. But I didn't HATE him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here