Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst ever International Tournament?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Just seen a thread bounced on people's favourites , so thought I would make the opposite.

What are people's worst ever World Cup's / Euro's ?

I think 2010 has to come close , but for many people the 1970's and England not going to a major competition 10 years may mean something during this period gets the title.

Euro 2000 has to worth a shout?

Thoughts?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The European Championships in 1972 just went on an on and on.....................

The World Cup qualifying campaign in 1973 was horrible

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
2010 WC has to be the worst.

1990 in English eyes is one of the best but as a spectacle it was not great

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Euro 2000 was a cracking tournament...

Spain v Yugoslavia
Holland v France
Holland v Yugslavia
Holland v Italy (Holland missing five penalties)
England going 2-0 up v Portugal and thinking there might be a slim chance of eeking a draw out of this.
Kicking off in Charleroi
Phil Neville...

World Cup 2010 was a bit tedious - and you couldn't blame the heat.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
2010 World Cup. The most dispiriting and feeble performance England have ever put up. Has put me off following the national team for a LONG time.

Plus, as others have said, the ****ing vuvuzelas and generally uninspiring games.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Euro 2000 was a cracking tournament...

Spain v Yugoslavia
Holland v France
Holland v Yugslavia
Holland v Italy (Holland missing five penalties)
England going 2-0 up v Portugal and thinking there might be a slim chance of eeking a draw out of this.
Kicking off in Charleroi
Phil Neville...

World Cup 2010 was a bit tedious - and you couldn't blame the heat.

Agreed, can't believe Euro 2000 was even suggested. Yes, England were poor, but from a pure footballing perspective it was the best international football tournament in my life time (I wasn't around to see the 1970 World Cup). I think the goal average in this tournament was also higher than other recent competitions.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've just looked at the WC2010 scores on Wiki and there were actually quite a lot of decent games. Argentina early on, Germany and Uruguay throughout, Portugal winning 7-0 vs North Korea, Italy and France finishing bottom of their groups too.

It's a shame that my recollection of that tournament is completely swamped by feelings of anger and despair at England's inept showing.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
le tournoi

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
2010 World Cup without a doubt. Drawing with the USA and Algeria, getting hammered by Germany, the Lampard goal that wasn't given, the shit performances in every game by England, the vuvuzela's, the lack of atmosphere and the predictability of most of the games that mattered. Awful, awful tournament.
USA '94 is definitely up there as well.

Oct 25, 2003
there were some brilliant games in 2010, everyone just said it was boring as it was fashionable

-every france game was an absolute LOLOCAUST
-italy vs slovakia was incredible
-usa vs slovakia
-ghana vs uruguay
-every germany game
-the dutch players going apeshit in the final
-japan and chile were surprisingly entertaining
-the best footballing side winning it

actually a decent world cup

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
there were some brilliant games in 2010, everyone just said it was boring as it was fashionable

-every france game was an absolute LOLOCAUST
-italy vs slovakia was incredible
-usa vs slovakia
-ghana vs uruguay
-every germany game
-the dutch players going apeshit in the final
-japan and chile were surprisingly entertaining
-the best footballing side winning it

actually a decent world cup

Tripping or on a wind up. Hopefully the first and you are having fun

Oct 25, 2003
Tripping or on a wind up. Hopefully the first and you are having fun
are you saying that the games i listed weren't entertaining then?

italy vs slovakia was one of the most entertaining games of football i have ever witnessed

tournaments are more than "if england do shit then the whole tournament is shit" to me

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
2002 and 2010 World Cups. Boring games, slow moving action, the ball being used for the tournaments made it worse and hardly remember many of the matches.

Only Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia (2002) and Slovakia 3-2 Italy (2010) springs to mind but struggle to remember the goals from about 95 percent of them. Last years was boring, with a boring Spain team winning 1-0 all the time and England being the worse I've ever seen them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here