Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst ever International Tournament?

Oct 25, 2003
2002 was pretty good, especially any game involving south korea and japan with their MENTAL fans

i also enjoyed watching ronaldo all tournament, that fat lad could f***ing play a bit couldn't he!

senegal were also great value.........they scored a goal against denmark which is one of the best counter attacking goals i've ever seen. They were defending a corner and suddenly about 5 seconds later about 6 of their players were in the denmark half and they scored a few seconds later

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
tournaments are more than "if england do shit then the whole tournament is shit" to me
Too true, Euro 96 was boring despite England getting to the semis. It was only us and Germany I remember playing well. The Czechs were lucky to get to the final in the flash-in-the-pan way they did.

5 of the first 6 games were 1-1 or 0-0 draws with the goalless draws being the majority. I think our 1-1 with Switzerland was the only one of those 5 to be a score draw.

Same goes for the song "3 Lions", if England did badly in the tournament, we would hardly hear the song ever again.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
World Cups
1990 - England aside, it was pretty dismal football wise, the lowest ever average goals per game coupled with a cycnicism that resulted in a number of rule changes within the game (Professional foul and the back pass rule being two).

2002 - Pretty poor though the only saving grace was some of the larger teams exiting earlier than they should have.

2010 - Also found that pretty boring with average goals scored dropping down to Italia 90 levels.

European Championships
1980 - Tediously boring.

1996 - Other than the 4-1 win over Holland pretty dire, of the knockout matches four of the 7 games went to pens and only 9 goals were scored, 6 of them in two matches.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
South Africa 2010,what shambles of a team England were,all the expectation and hope,destroyed in the most inept footballing performance ever.
That game against the USA I'll never forget.

I was required to look after the parents house with my girlfriend and so had to leave our flat. My folks were on holiday in Egypt so decided to make the most of it, as they had a 55" TV set being HD ready. We went up the local corner shop and got some beers in.

Luckily I was recording the match on ITV 1 standard definition, while we watched the HD channel only for the picture to cut out, before showing a Hyundai advert. Then it came back on only to SHOW PLAYERS CELEBRATING!!. Yup we missed the goal live!. So I switched onto ITV 1 standard signal, stopped the recording and looked at it to see the goal. Felt a lot more better but still miffed at ITV making us miss it live.

Then about 20 mins later Robert Green made his infamous howler and my Facebook news feed was covered in tons of angry status updates.

Don't get me started on Rooney's little rant to a cameraman a few weeks later.

Oct 25, 2003
i'll tell you what i didn't enjoy, and that was euro 2004

mainly for the fact that the dullest international team of all time won it, beating one of the FLAIREST (czech republic who basically played with 5 up front) in the semi's (or maybe quarters), no-one was that great in that tournament and i can't recall many great games (netherlands 2-3 czech republic being the best)

plus its the tournament where i was MOST disappointed by an england team, who i thought could actually win it

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
i'll tell you what i didn't enjoy, and that was euro 2004

mainly for the fact that the dullest international team of all time won it, beating one of the FLAIREST (czech republic who basically played with 5 up front) in the semi's (or maybe quarters), no-one was that great in that tournament and i can't recall many great games (netherlands 2-3 czech republic being the best)

plus its the tournament where i was MOST disappointed by an england team, who i thought could actually win it

I loved euro 2004, the Scandinavian scandal which sent Italy out in the groups. Spain and Germany out in the groups, random teams such as Latvia and Bulgaria qualifying. and Greece - the definition of underdog winning it.

Oct 25, 2003
I loved euro 2004, the Scandinavian scandal which sent Italy out in the groups. Spain and Germany out in the groups, random teams such as Latvia and Bulgaria qualifying. and Greece - the definition of underdog winning it.

i'd have enjoyed greece's win more if they weren't so DULL..........for me the fairytale would've been the czech rep winning it with their cavalier football

for those that don't remember, they played with 2 up front (koller and baros), 3 attacking midfielders (nedved, rosicky and poporsky) and attacking full backs(grygera and jankulovski).......it was MENTAL

milan baros and jan koller were the best strike force on EARTH at the time and nedved was out of this world

ps- i'd forgotten all about the first round exits of spain and italy...i remember germany being shit though apart from a young bastian schweinsteiger

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Euro 96 :cool:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Although there were a couple of interesting matches I also have to vote WC 2010. WC 1994 was all the better for us not being there.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Euro 1992

w/c 1994 - Apart from Diana Ross in the penalty shoot-out - Comedy Gold!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
USA 94 had some cracking moments - Romania knocking out the Argies, Effenberg being sent home for giving his own fans the finger, Maradona's mental antics, Letchkov's header against Germany, Jack Charlton and Aldridge turning the air blue.

People in England knock it because we weren't there and it was held in the US.

The worst tournaments? World Cups 1990 and 2010 and Euro 2004. Greece winning was not a fairytale - it was appalling.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't get this idea that because England were poor, then 2010 was poor. I thought it was a pretty good tournament with plenty of interesting games - and won by the best team.

I loved Euro 2004 - mainly because I won £400 by backing Greece to win it.

Think WC 2006 was the worst big tournament that I remember - scarcely anything of note in it - and an even worst final than 1994.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here