Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst ever Brighton Manager

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whilst Micky's results were poor second time round, it was far from being the worst of all time.

As for inheriting a promising young squad, don't know where people get that from. I think sentiment overrules facts once more.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Alan Mullery's second spell was TOTAL TOILET:eek:

There may be some background stuff I'm not aware of, not having started going to games at the Goldstone yet, but what was so bad about Mullery's second spell? The Albion were 15th in the old Division Two. The whole season collapsed once he left.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whilst Micky's results were poor second time round, it was far from being the worst of all time.

As for inheriting a promising young squad, don't know where people get that from. I think sentiment overrules facts once more.

The biggest thing about Micky's failure was the disappointment I think. Having had such a hyped return not to mention the situation with Wilkins.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Many a time did i call for Barry Lloyd's head and sing OUT,OUT,OUT
Used to hate him sitting in the dugout on a cold midweek game with his pink blanket over his lap, on the odd occasion he used to poke his hand out from under his blanket to acknowledge the fans when asked for a wave. Used to annoy me that he didnt jump up out of the dugout and gee up the players and show passion.
However looking back he brought some fantastic players to The Goldstone and was a good wheeler dealer in the transfer market. And he cared a lot.
He would be no where near the bottom of the list in shit managers.

Unfortunately Jimmy Case was never cut out for management and there were many dire games under his stewardship. For me he is the worst in recent times although as a bloke love him (I think his deafness didn't help also in being a manager from personal experiences of my own)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think MA's 2nd tenure saw me more depressed and fed up watching the Albion than at any time apart from just before Gritt took over from Case. That for me makes him the worst manager as he had money to spend and inherited a team that had maybe overachieved but by the time he was sacked had completely f***ed over and left us with journeyman loanees ( McNulty apart) and very little hope.

We had dreadful days at Gillingham but never wanted to leave after 10 mins which I did for most of the games under Adams 2nd time around. I didn't see the Man City game but is that enough to save him?
Most of the others had an excuse for being shit what was Adams excuse?

I think MA's 2nd tenure saw me more depressed and fed up watching the Albion than at any time apart from just before Gritt took over from Case. That for me makes him the worst manager as he had money to spend and inherited a team that had maybe overachieved but by the time he was sacked had completely f***ed over and left us with journeyman loanees ( McNulty apart) and very little hope.

We had dreadful days at Gillingham but never wanted to leave after 10 mins which I did for most of the games under Adams 2nd time around. I didn't see the Man City game but is that enough to save him?
Most of the others had an excuse for being shit what was Adams excuse?

You are correct in what you say and the Man City game was noway enough to save him and really looking back, the football played against city was actually not very good! We just shoved all the local lads out and they ran and hoofed and hoofed until Man City gave up and to resorted to lumping it to Joe who in return got kicked and hoofed by Virgo.

We rode our look that night and as fantastic as it was, we probably played better football against Leicester and Millwall, but that was it, the rest of that season was just utter cack under Adams.

There may be some background stuff I'm not aware of, not having started going to games at the Goldstone yet, but what was so bad about Mullery's second spell? The Albion were 15th in the old Division Two. The whole season collapsed once he left.

I think Mullery's second spell can be epitomised for its sheert inteptitude and dreadfulness by the fact that he kept playing LES BERRY:eek:

2nd spell P26 W7 L11 D8 (thats losing 42% of games played!)

The football was abysmal. Watching this shambles, we were certain we would be relegated long before christmas, and lets face it, Albion fans have seen enough relegations in their time to know one when its coming towards them like a runaway train. His sacking in January was long overdue.

and if people think the disappointment over Aldam's second spell was terrible, it was a hundred times better than the disappointment over the failure of Mullery's second spell. He took over a team that had neary gone up, ripped it apart, and then proceeded to send it down. And all this achieved on the back of a GLORIOUS HISTORY which everyone still remembered.

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
You are correct in what you say and the Man City game was noway enough to save him and really looking back, the football played against city was actually not very good! We just shoved all the local lads out and they ran and hoofed and hoofed until Man City gave up and to resorted to lumping it to Joe who in return got kicked and hoofed by Virgo.

We rode our look that night and as fantastic as it was, we probably played better football against Leicester and Millwall, but that was it, the rest of that season was just utter cack under Adams.

that's how i remember it... plus the fact that city were, with the exception of richard dunne, utterly inept that night. half of them didn't even muddy their kits.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Mullery's second spell can be epitomised for its sheert inteptitude and dreadfulness by the fact that he kept playing LES BERRY:eek:

2nd spell P26 W7 L11 D8 (thats losing 42% of games played!)

The football was abysmal. Watching this shambles, we were certain we would be relegated long before christmas, and lets face it, Albion fans have seen enough relegations in their tuime to know one when its coming towards them like a runaway train. His sacking in January was long overdue

Yet Les Berry played over 450 games as a pro, so surely could not have been that bad.

As for facing relegation, we were 15th under Mullery, which isn't staring relegation in the face.

Jeff Wood still gets my vote.

Yet Les Berry played over 450 games as a pro, so surely could not have been that bad.

As for facing relegation, we were 15th under Mullery, which isn't staring relegation in the face.

Jeff Wood still gets my vote.

sorry but as oine who suffered that season , there was no way we were staynig in that divison.

And as a sign of just how good that side was, look at how far adrift we finished in that division and how m,ny players survived the clear out?.

1986-87 D2 Pld 42 W.9 D.12 L. 21 F.37 A. 54 Pts 39 Pos 22 RELEGATED BY 11 POINTS

19. Birmingham City 42 11 17 14 47 59 -12 50
20. Sunderland 42 12 12 18 49 59 -10 48
21. Grimsby Town 42 10 14 18 39 59 -20 44
22. Brighton & Hove Albion 42 9 12 21 37 54 -17 39

Damn Barclays for signing Bromage / Cooper / Funnell + Tiltman

Blinded by the lights !

Still did also sign

Doug Rougvie
Garry Nelson
Kevin Bremner
Sergei Gotsmanov
John Keely
Alan Curbishley

and produced a team that was a damn sight better to watch than the one that went before

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Still did also sign

Doug Rougvie
Garry Nelson
Kevin Bremner
Sergei Gotsmanov
John Keely
Alan Curbishley

and produced a team that was a damn sight better to watch than the one that went before

He also signed Kurt Nogan didn't he ? Got him for nothing and he was sold for £300000.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Still did also sign

Doug Rougvie
Garry Nelson
Kevin Bremner
Sergei Gotsmanov
John Keely
Alan Curbishley

The team he took over was superb, he took a consistently top 5 side in the then 2nd div to the depths, yes boardroom struggles but come on, lets not be blinded by that one season and the promotion after taking us down. He was he for over a decade and mostly he was consistently bad. Tried to sign non league gems. Non leaguer summed him up

The team he took over was superb,

eh?

It was all MULLERY's doing

The team Lloyd took over was CACK, UTTER CACK, THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN. It was on;y heading one way and that was to Division3. Could n't have stayed up, let alone scored, in a brothel!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I have usually been behind managers even in the bad times - Case had a very difficult task so I forgive him, Wood and Hinsh were green and should have never got the job.

For me it is:
1) Mullery II
2) Barry Lloyd
3) Adams II

Not looking at any stats just remember wanting all 3 to get the boot.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hinshelwood was desperately unlucky to have an unfit Zamora on his hands. His record would be nowhere near as bad as it was if Bobby had been fighting fit and available.

Agreed and didn't he sign Guy Butters,who after a dodgy start became a legend!(or is my memory playing tricks on me?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here