Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst European Country

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Thats the North. The Republic is an entirely different country as many will quickly remind you on here. Are you judging it based on the North (or a quick trip across the border to Dundalk...)?

Northern Ireland has some very nice areas in it too, mostly in the countryside. People there aren't going to care if you're English, no matter what side they're on.

There not going to care if you're English, no matter what side they're on!!.

Are a bit slow or something. My daughter still lives there and the trouble we had getting her into a mixed school (religion) was a nightmare as me and her mum did not want her growing up like some of them. When i lived there i had a mate who was Catholic and we used to go to the Gealic football as the proper football was complete shite, but my wife's family went f***ing nuts (prods) and it caused untold hassle for me over there. Thats just the half of it. :guns:

Your comments are completely naive. :tosser:

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Berlin...again.
Brandenburg gate, Olympic Stadium, Schloss whatever it is that they based the one at Disney on.
Michael Schumacher...probably the greatest racing driver ever.
...struggling a bit on the last category though!

Mien Kampf - Adolf Hitler!

Frederick Nietzsche? - Personally i think he's crap.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
There not going to care if you're English, no matter what side they're on!!.

Are a bit slow or something. My daughter still lives there and the trouble we had getting her into a mixed school (religion) was a nightmare as me and her mum did not want her growing up like some of them. When i lived there i had a mate who was Catholic and we used to go to the Gealic football as the proper football was complete shite, but my wife's family went f***ing nuts (prods) and it caused untold hassle for me over there. Thats just the half of it. :guns:

Your comments are completely naive. :tosser:

And where in NI were you living? Again, like bushy, you didn't actually read what I wrote AT ALL clearly. If you've living in Sandy Row or Crossmaglen you're going to have problems. If you're living in Sion Mills (nominally Catholic) or Portrush (nominally Protestant), you won't.

Your comments are based on living there, presumably in one place, in the past. There are many, many parts of NI that are STILL complete shit holes and I'd include all of its cities in that. I specifically said that there are AREAS of it that are grand; and that you had blanket included the Republic for no reason. Please learn to read before ranting.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was stationed at St. Athan near Cardiff for a while in the forces and had no probs with the people of South Wales, my drving instructor was called Richie Burton and like his more famous name sake was a Jack. He used to make me laugh by spitting at Ninian Park every time we went past it.
I did hear that the Norhern Welsh were a different kettle of fish altogether though.

Yes, i got chased down the road by a bloke wielding the pub restaurant's specials board in llanberis, just for being English...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Mien Kampf - Adolf Hitler!

Frederick Nietzsche? - Personally i think he's crap.

I think the castle might be called something like Neuschwanzstein...but that would translate as newstonecock....which can't be right!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Screw Austria though (apologies Austrian Gull, you are obviously one of the better ones) and Switzerland though.

:angry: for your first comment. Warum?

:kiss: for the second one

There are some Austrians who are not arrogant, racist, mullet-headed and moustachioed. You just have to look hard sometimes...

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Re Germany, I guess people don't book two week holidays there is because the weather an't much better than in Blighty, there's no sea and it's not as cheap as other places.

Having said that, I think city breaks in Germany are fantastic - Berlin, Hamburg, Nuremberg are all great places to visit.

Famous monuments - Brandenburger Tor, Berlin Wall (what's left of it), TV tower?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I went to Austria for a skiing holiday over new year 01/02...had a bloody brilliant time, it was a bit like Germany but more relaxed, and a bit like Switzerland but more lively...best of all Worlds really!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
germany is THE number 1 destination for a euro football weekender in my view. cut it some slack. cheap tickets, big away support, great stadiums, good football, passion, and best of all you can take your beer onto the terrace. it's a really nice country.

worst is austria and switzerland with the exception of basle - central euro bland zone. plus they're often a bit too right winger.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Near enough every German I've known has been friendly, polite and quite funny. They just-or the country at least-seem to suffer from an unexciting image. Crasher's right, no-one goes there for their main two week holiday, do they? I've got a friend who decided that she didn't want to live in Japan anymore and wanted to move to Europe. She decided on Germany. Every one(Japanese, Europeans(including Germans...), Americans, Canadians, Chinese, Thai, Australians, Koreans...) she told this to had the same reaction: basically, eh?! Germany? Why?! Out of all the places in Europe you can choose from to live, why Germany?
Her answer: I wanted to go to Spain but it was too difficult to get a visa...

So I guess Germany has a worldwide unglamourous reputation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
oooh, I love Germany. I've been there 40 or 50 times - two week and one week holidays and long weekends - it's a great place.

As for the four questions: Berlin is a top, top place to visit, probably my favourite city in the world. Munich's pretty good too and I've had some great times in Hamburg.

There are plenty of famous landmarks (I am bemused by the Nurburgring Nordschleife suggestion though, I know Germany well and I had to Google it, it's scarcely a well-known landmark). I would have thought that, as mentioned, the Berlin Wall and the Brandenburger Tor were better known, you could add the Siegessäule to that Berlin list too. Outside the capital, there's Neuschwannstein of course, Heidelberg's bridge, Cologne's cathedral, and for grimmer reasons, Belsen.
There are of course many, many famous Germans - it's too boring to list them all.

As for the worst place, I have to concur with Austria and Switzerland. Desperately boring places seemingly populated by stuck-up, self-righteous xenophobes. I must say though that I've never been to Albania - it does sound pretty grim.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Re Germany, I guess people don't book two week holidays there is because the weather an't much better than in Blighty, there's no sea and it's not as cheap as other places.

Having said that, I think city breaks in Germany are fantastic - Berlin, Hamburg, Nuremberg are all great places to visit.

Famous monuments - Brandenburger Tor, Berlin Wall (what's left of it), TV tower?

The weather is not much better? No sea?

First Germany has very nice, long, warm and stable summers. I've spent a few summer holidays in Germany and I can tell you it is much preferable than her. This is something which was very evident at the World Cup.

But, you really show your ignorance when saying Germany has so no sea.....take a look at a map and then come back with a reply.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
oooh, I love Germany. I've been there 40 or 50 times - two week and one week holidays and long weekends - it's a great place.

As for the four questions: Berlin is a top, top place to visit, probably my favourite city in the world. Munich's pretty good too and I've had some great times in Hamburg.

There are plenty of famous landmarks (I am bemused by the Nurburgring Nordschleife suggestion though, I know Germany well and I had to Google it, it's scarcely a well-known landmark). I would have thought that, as mentioned, the Berlin Wall and the Brandenburger Tor were better known, you could add the Siegessäule to that Berlin list too. Outside the capital, there's Neuschwannstein of course, Heidelberg's bridge, Cologne's cathedral, and for grimmer reasons, Belsen.
There are of course many, many famous Germans - it's too boring to list them all.

As for the worst place, I have to concur with Austria and Switzerland. Desperately boring places seemingly populated by stuck-up, self-righteous xenophobes. I must say though that I've never been to Albania - it does sound pretty grim.

Agree with Switzerland. I've been snowboarding in the country but beyond this I have always found it quite sterile and lacking any culture I'm into.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Austria for a skiing holiday over new year 01/02...had a bloody brilliant time, it was a bit like Germany but more relaxed, and a bit like Switzerland but more lively...best of all Worlds really!

It doesnt take much to be more lively than Switzerland does it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Worst country in Europe? Easy! England! Without a shadow of a doubt. We're predominantley unfriendly, arrogant, lazy, have shit food, worse weather, live in a racist country that insists it is open minded and have a generation of kids growing that don't respect anything or anyone. Our politicians are completely lacklustre, don't listen to it's people with no glimmer of hope on the horizon as there is almost no young people becomming involved (I'm tired of voting for pensioners to run this f***ing country). We laugh and mock America but then imitate them with our ridiculous "celebrity culture" and lust for fast food among other things. Our country is overpopulated, has no identity, and really has no real place in modern Europe apart from clinging to blood stained former glories....

Plus England has now soul, everyone is too busy and in the rat race 24 hours a day. No one seems to find time to enjoy simple pleasures anymore!

Rant over!

As you may have gathered, I'm not very pro England but won't leave until I see Falmer built :) :albion2:

I tend to agree.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes that's right. England is by FAR the worst country in Europe - far worse than Russia, Poland, Albania and Romania combined. There is NOTHING here worth living for. If only we had the excitement of Switzerland, the financial muscle of Greece, the Olympic games of France, the landscape of the Netherlands, the corruption and organised crime of Italy, the ethnic division of Yugoslavia and the prominence of the National Front in France.

In fact, England's only saving grace is that, for some reason, Herr Tubthumper has decided to live here (presumably for our benefit) despite hating everything this country stands for. And for that we must be GRATEFUL. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes that's right. England is by FAR the worst country in Europe - far worse than Russia, Poland, Albania and Romania combined. There is NOTHING here worth living for. If only we had the excitement of Switzerland, the financial muscle of Greece, the Olympic games of France, the landscape of the Netherlands, the corruption and organised crime of Italy, the ethnic division of Yugoslavia and the prominence of the National Front in France.

In fact, England's only saving grace is that, for some reason, Herr Tubthumper has decided to live here (presumably for our benefit) despite hating everything this country stands for. And for that we must be GRATEFUL. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Absolutely. Russia is alright and the 1924 Olympics was one of my favourites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here