Worst European Country

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Berlin, for music reasons

The Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Marlene Dietrich?

Many electronic musicians.

Generally its Belgium that people do this for!

Kraftwerk come to England fairly often. Marlene's dead (I meant still living).

And - a concrete racetrack as an international landmark? Come on!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
well, its your opinion so...

mine would go to Belgium, for similar enough reasons to your German ones. Inedible food, petrol stations that open at 1pm, and other such weirdnesses add to it though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Kraftwerk come to England fairly often. Marlene's dead (I meant still living).

And - a concrete racetrack as an international landmark? Come on!

Michael Schumacher, Boris Becker.

And im still laughing at the racetrack comment, in England there is a set of stones arranged in a circle that no'one knows what the f*** they are for, still world famous landmark though:thumbsup:
:fishing:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Michael Schumacher, Boris Becker.

And im still laughing at the racetrack comment, in England there is a set of stones arranged in a circle that no'one knows what the f*** they are for, still world famous landmark though:thumbsup:
:fishing:

Sorry, the stipulation was celebrities who "light up" the planet.

Becker, Schumacher :laugh:

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Yeh i can see where you're coming from i mean in beckers case, winning six grand slams, an olympic gold and wimbledon at the age of seventeen (which by the way is still record), yeh i dont see how that can be making the world a bit brighter ??? Schumacher of course should also be disregarded as after all hes ONLY won the world championship seven times.

how about beckenbauer? or is he not good enough either?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Yeh i can see where you're coming from i mean in beckers case, winning six grand slams, an olympic gold and wimbledon at the age of seventeen (which by the way is still record), yeh i dont see how that can be making the world a bit brighter ??? Schumacher of course should also be disregarded as after all hes ONLY won the world championship seven times.

how about beckenbauer? or is he not good enough either?

I know, I know. All that achieving, you ought to love them. But somehow the better they are, the less interesting they become.

Ask yourself this - why does no-one ever book a holiday to Germany?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Ask yourself this - why does no-one ever book a holiday to Germany?

Three members of my family have: I've gone over to the 'ring; my mothers gone... somewhere, I can't remember, for the christmas markets and my brother went over for, erm, something.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Three members of my family have: I've gone over to the 'ring; my mothers gone... somewhere, I can't remember, for the christmas markets and my brother went over for, erm, something.

Yeah, you'll go there for a specific purpose for a day or two. A race meeting, a market, a "someting" - nothing WRONG with the country.

But when it comes to the "I' have two weeks off, where shall I spend it" - let's face it, it's not going to be Deutschland is it?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Personally no, cause I rarely spend more than a few days in one place when on holiday. If I was in Germany at the start of the two weeks its almost inevitable I'd end up somewhere in the balkans or scandinavian by the end of it due to an irresistible urge to drive places.... but I'm a very bad example!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
mine would go to Belgium, for similar enough reasons to your German ones. Inedible food, petrol stations that open at 1pm, and other such weirdnesses add to it though.
hmmmm.......best beer in the world, best chips in the world, the friendliest people I have yet to meet in Europe....nah Belgium is my favourite European country.

Screw Austria though (apologies Austrian Gull, you are obviously one of the better ones) and Switzerland though.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Absolutely do not get the German hate. When it comes to arrogance they don't hold a candle to the Italians/French or even (dare I say it) us. I said it on the best country thread as well but to repeat...You can drink and smoke at football matches!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
hmmmm.......best beer in the world, best chips in the world, the friendliest people I have yet to meet in Europe....nah Belgium is my favourite European country.

Screw Austria though (apologies Austrian Gull, you are obviously one of the better ones) and Switzerland though.

Belgians are nice people. I took my mother there just before she died. She was in a wheelchair and Belgium is the only country where the traffic always stopped to let me push her across the road, I will never forget that. here chocolate is pretty good too.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I watched England's 2-0 win in Scotland in a pub in Edinburgh too, as I was going out with an Edinburgh girl at the time, and had no trouble. Stayed behind with the locals and had a general footy chat, the only abuse I got was good-natured.

I have nothing but good memories of Edinburgh - I think those who have experienced otherwise have been unlucky - there are racist fuckwits in every major city in the world, I suspect.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
For what it's worth on Germany, I was taken there many years ago as a kid, and never went back until the World Cup in 2006. And I was left afterwards wondering why I had never gone back. Everything about Cologne was superb. I think Germany just gets a bad press in this country as a holiday destination, and I'll certainly be returning soon.

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
It's got to be Germany. Nothing wrong with Germans, lovely people who lead a quiet, civilised life and try to make the world a better place. But...

Name a single German city you're desperate to go and visit.....

Name a single German landmark that's famous the world over...

Name a single German celebrity (who'd be recognised roudn the world)......

Name a single German modern author, writer or artist who lights up the planet....

Celebrity - DAVID HASSELHOFF!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Berlin...again.
Brandenburg gate, Olympic Stadium, Schloss whatever it is that they based the one at Disney on.
Michael Schumacher...probably the greatest racing driver ever.
...struggling a bit on the last category though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here