Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst European Country

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes that's right. England is by FAR the worst country in Europe - far worse than Russia, Poland, Albania and Romania combined. There is NOTHING here worth living for. If only we had the excitement of Switzerland, the financial muscle of Greece, the Olympic games of France, the landscape of the Netherlands, the corruption and organised crime of Italy, the ethnic division of Yugoslavia and the prominence of the National Front in France.

In fact, England's only saving grace is that, for some reason, Herr Tubthumper has decided to live here (presumably for our benefit) despite hating everything this country stands for. And for that we must be GRATEFUL. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I guess England is more exciting than Switzerland bit as for finance, the 2012 cheap-skate Olympics, the rain swept landscape, expenses fiddling MPs, ethnic division and prominence of far-right groups we are doing well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I guess England is more exciting than Switzerland bit as for finance, the 2012 cheap-skate Olympics, the rain swept landscape, expenses fiddling MPs, ethnic division and prominence of far-right groups we are doing well.
2012 "cheap skate" - bit of a lame dig there. I'm actually quite happy about the fact we're not spending bucketloads on it really - the Olympics needs to get back to reality. Do we really want a white elephant Olympics? No, it takes a class, and a proper developed country to do it properly. China spent a fortune on it, in an effort to give the impression it had arrived on the world stage. God knows what corruption, human rights violations, labour rights were trampled on in order to get it built (and at considerable cost).

MPs - we have some of the most honest MPs in the world. FACT. A bit of expenses fiddling is not the end of the world IMO, and it has now been addressed anyway.
Ethnic division in England? I didn't have you down as a BNP apologist?
And far right groups? You're having a laugh. What was the BNP's proportion of the vote in the last general election? Anything like the 13% in France? Thought not.

Anyway when are you moving?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2012 "cheap skate" - bit of a lame dig there. I'm actually quite happy about the fact we're not spending bucketloads on it really - the Olympics needs to get back to reality. Do we really want a white elephant Olympics? No, it takes a class, and a proper developed country to do it properly. China spent a fortune on it, in an effort to give the impression it had arrived on the world stage. God knows what corruption, human rights violations, labour rights were trampled on in order to get it built (and at considerable cost).

MPs - we have some of the most honest MPs in the world. FACT. A bit of expenses fiddling is not the end of the world IMO, and it has now been addressed anyway.
Ethnic division in England? I didn't have you down as a BNP apologist?
And far right groups? You're having a laugh. What was the BNP's proportion of the vote in the last general election? Anything like the 13% in France? Thought not.

Anyway when are you moving?

Proportion is one thing, prominence is another.

As for moving; I'll be taking another foreign excursion in a couple of years time probably.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Proportion is one thing, prominence is another.
So which is worse?

As for moving; I'll be taking another foreign excursion in a couple of years time probably.
So no real committment, and always able to return to the safety of home when you get bored. Nothing wrong with living abroad of course, but if you detest this country so much, why not put some roots down elsewhere?

I've got to be honest, you sound like a right-on student type!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So which is worse?

So no real committment, and always able to return to the safety of home when you get bored. Nothing wrong with living abroad of course, but if you detest this country so much, why not put some roots down elsewhere?

I've got to be honest, you sound like a right-on student type!

:smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Bosnia, makes Northern Ireland look like the Bahamas

Absolute rubbish! The people are lovely and welcoming, foods pretty good...film festival is fantastic. Highly reccomendede. Just ignore the bullet holes in the walls...t hey are all 15 years old.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Luxembourgö switzerland and Austria don't do much for me but Byelorusia was pretty awful.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
As a gross generalisation, after having been to only the following:

France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic and Germany.

I'd happily say that France is the worst I've been to. I just find the people to be the least friendly.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I went to Austria for a skiing holiday over new year 01/02...had a bloody brilliant time, it was a bit like Germany but more relaxed, and a bit like Switzerland but more lively...best of all Worlds really!

ive been to vienna, lovely city, and ive caught the train from salzburg to munich, real picture postcard scenery , i definitely rate austria.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The weather is not much better? No sea?

First Germany has very nice, long, warm and stable summers. I've spent a few summer holidays in Germany and I can tell you it is much preferable than her. This is something which was very evident at the World Cup.

But, you really show your ignorance when saying Germany has so no sea.....take a look at a map and then come back with a reply.

:dunce:
Apologies for forgetting about Germany's coastline - I was tired and emotional after all the knocking of Austria.

But, how many people do you know who would willingly spend their holiday by the North or Baltic Sea in Germany? Even most Germans wouldn't.

Not sure that all of Germany can be summed up as having nice, long and stable summers - hot it certainly can be but it can also piss down with rain for days on end. It's certainly not Mediterranean.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
As for the worst place, I have to concur with Austria and Switzerland. Desperately boring places seemingly populated by stuck-up, self-righteous xenophobes. I must say though that I've never been to Albania - it does sound pretty grim.

Having read your ode to Germany, I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.

However, I'm intrigued as to what makes you stick the boot into my adopted country. Where have you been in Austria? How exactly were the people you met stuck-up and self-righteous?

I'm not doubting you, just interested in what made you feel this way!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:dunce:
Apologies for forgetting about Germany's coastline - I was tired and emotional after all the knocking of Austria.

But, how many people do you know who would willingly spend their holiday by the North or Baltic Sea in Germany? Even most Germans wouldn't.

Not sure that all of Germany can be summed up as having nice, long and stable summers - hot it certainly can be but it can also piss down with rain for days on end. It's certainly not Mediterranean.

Fair does, I do get a bit defensive re Germany at times :)

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Fair does, I do get a bit defensive re Germany at times :)

:smile: It's all peace and harmony between Austria and Germany again. It reminds me of the 1982 World Cup match...

I love Germany and am frequently popping over the border where everything seems to be cheaper - except petrol and tuition fees.

99% of Germans I have encountered across the border have been courteous and friendly. This isn't always the case when they take their holidays here!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not enough to f***ing live there,mores the pity.

It will not make a difference to you where I live. The only interaction we have is via the internet, which they have in Germany.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:smile: It's all peace and harmony between Austria and Germany again. It reminds me of the 1982 World Cup match...

I love Germany and am frequently popping over the border where everything seems to be cheaper - except petrol and tuition fees.

99% of Germans I have encountered across the border have been courteous and friendly. This isn't always the case when they take their holidays here!

I think your biggest concern regarding Austria should be the fact Bushy likes it :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
didn't like Spain all that much to be fair.

Love Italy!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having read your ode to Germany, I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.

However, I'm intrigued as to what makes you stick the boot into my adopted country. Where have you been in Austria? How exactly were the people you met stuck-up and self-righteous?

I'm not doubting you, just interested in what made you feel this way!

I should say that I've only been to Vienna, so other parts of the country may be some sort of earthly paradise.

Partly it's the history. It's a country that has eagerly voted for any right-wing demogogue and has been quick to embrace anti-semitism and xenophobia. It's no coincidence that the first far-right party to make headway in a western European country was the Freedom Party (and don't forget voting cuddly old SS officer Kurt Waldheim as president).

As a white, non-Jewish Brit, I've not experienced any racism first hand but I have had people mock my German (which is pretty good) and my accent - I've only once experienced that in Germany in many times more visits. There's also an attitude of sneering condescension among shop staff and waiters that's the equal of Parisians.

There's also the factor that it's deathly dull. I still vividly remember coming out of the Burgtheater at about 10.20 on a Saturday and being completely unable to find a bar that was open. This was at a time when London pubs shut at 11.00 and I thought that was bad but to find a capital city where everything was shut and where the streets were empty so early at night struck me as a place not worth getting to know. I've been back a couple of times since then and nothing seems to have changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here