Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst away attendances at an Albion match

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Went to Mansfield on a Monday night ( mid 70's )...me + 3 others....barely a handful from BHA. Awful night, stopped at a garage on the edge of town, got fuel and asked directions to ground. Proprietor said.." what the f...ing hell do you want to go there for! " Lost 1-0 but saw one of the great dismissals in BHA history. Sammy Morgan, our centre-forward ( Irish international and hard as nails ) leapt for a goalkick and was hit from both sides by two of them. Spitting blood, he went for it. Left hook, right hook, left boot, right boot...he was two thirds of the way to the tunnel before the ref even got his notebook out.
Classic!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Last seasons away game in the Carling Cup at Swansea must be pretty close

This was in the bad old days when the fans turned up and the team didn't.

Attachments

• Swansea JPT.jpg
    Swansea JPT.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,520

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Barnsley v Brighton 1981 League Cup Round 2, they were in third division and we were in first.

43 of us, Steve Gatting scored in the first minute and we lost 4-1.
Weren't they in the 2nd? But yes, that was mine too. Me and my mate travelled up by car, got held up and actually missed the Brighton goal.

A first division side taking less than 50 to an away game. At the time it was my most depressing experience as a Brighton fan. Attendances had been dropping off since we'd got promoted (as the fickle Brighton fans preferred to see us beat third division teams as opposed to losing to 1st division ones) but that was the nadir.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
hartlepool in the cup replay - three days after carlisle away. massive superfan points were on offer for that one

swansea in the ldv as well at the vetch field when we had about 50 people there and dirk lehmann scored his only albion goal

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
This was in the bad old days when the fans turned up and the team didn't.

Almost certain that picture wasn't THAT game as there weren't steps either side. Also I can't see myself in that picture!

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
I remember going to Leeds in 1989 and there were about 150 Albion.....also Fulham away one evening in 1993 in the equivelant of the piss pot trophy and there were only 50 of us getting soaked to the skin.....and we got thumped 4-1 too!!

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Southport away in 1973 on a Monday night when i believe there was just the one away fan there being Mr Talbot.
Lowest i have been at was Cardiff a few years ago about 90 there and Hartlepool in the Cup Replay 100 odd.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
that blackpool game from memory a tuesday night there was around 300 at guess

Yeah I'd go along with that, I was massively surprised at the amount of people that had actually made it.

We were booked on the A21 minibus which got canceled. So 3 of us hired a car and drove.

Car came with about quarter of a tank and the lad who picked it up was allowed to put a further tenner in in Battle. They picked me up in Crowborough and the local filling station had 4 star so we filled up with that (which took about 20 mins as the nozzle wouldn't fit in the car and we had to dribble it in), probably did the car no good but it did the trick.

Got to Oxted and the last station before the M25 had a queue but had some fuel (allot of places had just simply run out) so we queued up for another half an hour and got on the M25 with a full tank.

Got to about 45 minutes away from Blackpool and stopped for a piss at the services. The queue for fuel was huge so we decided against filling up and chancing our luck coming home. Like most service stations you have to drive past the filling station to get back on the motorway as we were driving out with no intention of getting fuel passing all the cars in the queue a bloke in a high vis jacket appears from no where and points at the first car he sees which happened to be us and said pump 6! Thank you very much! We filled up much to the annoyance of all the cars still in the queue behind us.

To top the night off we won 2-0 if memory recalls!

Drive back was great fun, you'd go 20 miles without seeing a car in either direction. We got back very quickly!

Smallest away attendance I've probably seen at a game would have been Athlone away pre season 99? 25 of us there I guess.

In a competitive game probably Hartlepool midweek 98ish?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
For the first season in the top flight (79/80) away crowds were excellent but by the Mike Bailey era (81/82) the combination of novelty evaporation, dull footie and Thatcher's recession had severely dented our following. I recall 90 at Everton in early October 82. 2-2 draw and Case scored much to the delight of the Gwladys who had earlier been taunting him with Oh Jimmy Jimmy, Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy shi*ar*e Case!

That infamous scouse wit.

PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sunderland away 83 evening game less than 100 of us shortly before cup final:facepalm:

yes...do you remember those huge skin heads waiting outside the entrance...i was stood next to a copper who said "stick close son" that was a very scary night i seem to recall

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
For the Albion, the away game at (I think?) Blackpool during the fuel crisis a few years back must be up there?

And I think there is a Swansea midweek cup game on record when there was something like 37 Albion there. I may be wrong...

not sure on that,went to on tues,with enough fuel(so we thought) in cans,stayed the night,couldnt beleive how many bha were there,sure it was about 380,amazing support,the pubs were busy that night to

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gerry Ryan's debut at Stoke. Can't have been more than 10 in the away end. Peter O'Sullivan sent off and a late equaliser from Teddy Maybank I seem to remember

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yeah I'd go along with that, I was massively surprised at the amount of people that had actually made it.

We were booked on the A21 minibus which got canceled. So 3 of us hired a car and drove.

Car came with about quarter of a tank and the lad who picked it up was allowed to put a further tenner in in Battle. They picked me up in Crowborough and the local filling station had 4 star so we filled up with that (which took about 20 mins as the nozzle wouldn't fit in the car and we had to dribble it in), probably did the car no good but it did the trick.

Got to Oxted and the last station before the M25 had a queue but had some fuel (allot of places had just simply run out) so we queued up for another half an hour and got on the M25 with a full tank.

Got to about 45 minutes away from Blackpool and stopped for a piss at the services. The queue for fuel was huge so we decided against filling up and chancing our luck coming home. Like most service stations you have to drive past the filling station to get back on the motorway as we were driving out with no intention of getting fuel passing all the cars in the queue a bloke in a high vis jacket appears from no where and points at the first car he sees which happened to be us and said pump 6! Thank you very much! We filled up much to the annoyance of all the cars still in the queue behind us.

To top the night off we won 2-0 if memory recalls!

Drive back was great fun, you'd go 20 miles without seeing a car in either direction. We got back very quickly!

Smallest away attendance I've probably seen at a game would have been Athlone away pre season 99? 25 of us there I guess.

In a competitive game probably Hartlepool midweek 98ish?

i couldnt believe the amount of brighton supporters that made the trip , i was a postie at the time and considered a essential worker and allowed to fill up down the garage at eastern road that plus 3 cans in the boot got us home with fumes to spare

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
wall at the old den circa early 80s, around 50 turned up

was there in 75 and it was a very scary time.

there was a few albion fans in the ground, but we were very quiet.

Fred Binney scored and we lost 3-1 I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here