Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst away attendances at an Albion match

Jan 30, 2008
was there in 75 and it was a very scary time.

there was a few albion fans in the ground, but we were very quiet.

Fred Binney scored and we lost 3-1 I think
how things have changed , i was in all bar one after the Charlton game around 40 wall turned up they knew who we were but apart from someone shouting lets do Brighton in the pub there was no grief, what's the point in sneaking out :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
how things have changed , i was in all bar one after the Charlton game around 40 wall turned up they knew who we were but apart from someone shouting lets do Brighton in the pub there was no grief, what's the point in sneaking out :wink:

it was about the time when Panorama did the Millwall programme, F Troop, Treatment, Harry The Dog etc. We went in the main Millwall stand basically for safety and stood next to a huge black bloke witha drum and at one point he was showing anyone who was interested a huge sword type knife.

It kept kicking off behind the goals so there must have been Brighton fans in there and I remember seeing the police carrying some poor chap out covered in blood.

I vowed I would never go again, but havent missed one at Millwall since.

Luton on the other hand...I will never go there again after a visit in the 80's!

I remember going to Leeds in 1989 and there were about 150 Albion.....also Fulham away one evening in 1993 in the equivelant of the piss pot trophy and there were only 50 of us getting soaked to the skin.....and we got thumped 4-1 too!!

Paul McCarthy scored

and at Blackpool in 1987 (3-1 win) one could pick one's very own section of crumbling terrace (there can't have been more than forty of us getting soaked to the skin and blown away in a howling gale). Bit like standing on the East terrace at the Godstone for a reserve game on a Tuesday night in Fenruary, EXCEPT for the pouring rain and howling gale off the Irish Sea

Last edited:

the play off game at Millwall in 91 was abit like that.

Never have I seen supporters SO upset at a result that they have set fire to their own ground:eek::laugh:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I was at that game :clap2: :superfan:. Just about to be told to sit down by the steward on the left hand side. Wasn't that a Micky Mouse cup game rather than league cup?

yes i think your right because i can see myself in that and i didnt even go to the carling cup game

LDV game, early 00's? That's the last game the infamous Mike C Gull MISSED. :angel:

Yes, Tues 16 Oct 2001. Couldn't go, shift work. Later got made redundant due to 9/11.

475 games further on ..............

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
I went to a match v Chesterfield in 1987 at the Goldstone and they bought none down none at all. Dale Jasper played for us.

No they bought 17 down my mate and i counted them,coach broke down or something,2-2 if remember rightly, lowest albion away turnout for me was barnsley away same night as the millwall riot at luton ,only about 70 of us, hans kraay was playing for us doing his famous trick of jumplng up and down in front of the opposing keeper everytime we had a set piece drilled into the box ,class and great to watch suprised alot of refs used to ignore it:lolol:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
No they bought 17 down my mate and i counted them,coach broke down or something,2-2 if remember rightly, lowest albion away turnout for me was barnsley away same night as the millwall riot at luton ,only about 70 of us, hans kraay was playing for us doing his famous trick of jumplng up and down in front of the opposing keeper everytime we had a set piece drilled into the box ,class and great to watch suprised alot of refs used to ignore it:lolol:

I was at the evening game against Barnsley but there seemed more than 70 there to me,we had played there in the FA Cup a few weeks before aswell. Smallest Albion following for me was away at Boro around 1982ish.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Lowest for me was away to Hartlepool, 1992 just before Christmas - game after Barry Lloyd was sacked - 2-2 and we had Bradley Wosahlo up front - only 20 or so there.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Lowest I saw away with the Albion was on a freezing cold midweek night end of febuary 1993, I think it was even snowing at Springfield park (Wigan Athletic) stood on that hill with a cow shed for the away support. Only about 20-30 (out of a total of 2033) Albion fans witnessed Kurt Nogan score the winner in a 2-1 away victory. Away end was on the right in the picture.

Attachments

• aerial.jpg
    aerial.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 109

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Weren't they in the 2nd? But yes, that was mine too. Me and my mate travelled up by car, got held up and actually missed the Brighton goal.

A first division side taking less than 50 to an away game. At the time it was my most depressing experience as a Brighton fan. Attendances had been dropping off since we'd got promoted (as the fickle Brighton fans preferred to see us beat third division teams as opposed to losing to 1st division ones) but that was the nadir.

I was also there. A car load of us arrived in barnsley early only to find it was 'half day closing' and virtually everything was shut. back in those days, and you youngsters may not believe this, but pubs CLOSED in the afternoon so not even the chance of some warmth and beers. (Kids these days don't know just how we suffered)

We were just blown away by barnsley, who were a massive team with Mick McCarthy at the back and they were on the up.

Poor day though.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Gerry Ryan's debut at Stoke. Can't have been more than 10 in the away end. Peter O'Sullivan sent off and a late equaliser from Teddy Maybank I seem to remember

A 2-2 draw and probably the only game we've ever played at Stoke worth remembering? We had a charter train that night. not full, for sure, but more than 10.

Don't think that the crowd in the away 'pen' are the only lot. After 2 games in the old div 1 i, and others, preferred the safety of the home ends especially at places like Sunderland, Cardiff & Millwall. Exciting, sometimes scarey times but I'm glad football is not like that now.

BTW, that Blackpool fuel crisis game. one of my lads went up with a car load and spent a day or 2 in Preston after the game before they could get enough fuel to come home!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was that when we had Steve Foster in the side and they had a midfield player ????Banks who scored either 2 or 3 goals.

Would have to look that up. I think they had a big lad called parker up front who ran us ragged so not sure if Fozzie was playing. It's a game I'd rather forget.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Sept 1977 v Oldham at Filbert Street. Would you believe a League Cup Second round Second Replay. About 1800 there. I was probably the only one supporting Albion (unless some of you know better) Lost 1-2 but saw Wardy score.

Excuse me but another Crater train match even though there were not many of us. there were, howver, still enough of us to have a big kick about in a City park, and that must have been about 30-a-side.

Yes, still in the times of no pub opening in the afternoons. I think this period of history should be known as the Dry Ages.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
I love the way people memories play them up. I did not miss an away game from 1987 - 1997 so have covered a lot of the games mentioned here but some of the numbers suggested are a little bit on the low side. We used to have a good hard core of supporters who would not miss a game no matter where we played, not as many as now of course but never as low as 20 or 30.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here