Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Richie Morris said:
Anyone got any idea how much we can expect to sell the naming rights to Falmer for?
£200M if we call it the Microsoft Stadium.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Curious Orange said:
I think we should encourage scrutiny of some posts on here. I genuinely believe there to be a conspiracy among some so-called fans to get the team relegated through their continued negativity. I don't know why this is, it is the Withdean conspiracy of silence.

surely the negativity is born from the results that are produced on the pitch rather than the fans, so using your theory - are the players the ones behind your conspiracy to get us relegated

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Richie Morris said:
I was discussing this the other day with a fellow poster in the pub but there appears to be certain supporters on here - ones who often dominate discussions - who look upon any criticism of the players, the board, the manager as disloyal and something which should be shot down at all times.

Scrutiny is one of the most important things in the running of a football club and it was through asking questions, speculation and scrutiny that certain legendar Brighton fans unravelled the plots of Archer et al.

I am not suggesting for one minute that Dick Knight and Mark McGhee are plotting some evil plan to kill of Brighton but the ability to scrutinise and ask questions of those running our football club on a day to day basis is one of the few powers we as supporters have.

If anything such pondering and scrutiny should be ENCOURAGED not slated as being negative or conterproductive.

I would agree. I know DK and co do not want to kill us. Far from it. But some uber fans blind loyalty is a little misplaced.

After all these are the same people who will suck up to anyone who is in charge. I think the term is "toadying" .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
After all these are the same people who will suck up to anyone who is in charge. I think the term is "toadying" .

Not so, Repugnant Toad is clearly one of the 'f*** Off McGhee' brigade.

Actually what you call toadying in a somewhat patronising way is people on here who can see the proverbial bigger picture and are bored with some of the assumptions and so called facts that many of the detractors come up with to suit their own agendas. That's not being an 'Uber Fan' it's just a matter of common sense which is clearly missing from some of the near hysterical rants on here.

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

I would agree. I know DK and co do not want to kill us. Far from it. But some uber fans blind loyalty is a little misplaced.

As a supporter of the board, can you explain why I'm toadying to authority?

Consider for a moment that I've weighed up the facts in front of me and have decided to put my full confidence in those in charge - much like the majority of the fans have, remember that you are in a minority.

You have obviously come to different conclusions than I have about the board, which is fine. I'm happy to argue the toss with you about it, but I can't see why you need to simplisticly brand anyone who has a different opinion to you. Maybe, just maybe, we're not all as stupid as you think and maybe, just maybe you're not as clever as you think you are.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Yes and we must never forget that the likes of Atilla 10 years ago thought Greg Stanley was trustworthy and chaired Bellotti round the North Stand plus who remembers the reason why Liz 'Yankee' Costa finally joined the fight against Archer & co years late ? Bellotti took her free season ticket away :angry: :angry: :angry:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Ernest said:
Yes and we must never forget that the likes of Atilla 10 years ago thought Greg Stanley was trustworthy and chaired Bellotti round the North Stand plus who remembers the reason why Liz 'Yankee' Costa finally joined the fight against Archer & co years late ? Bellotti took her free season ticket away :angry: :angry: :angry:
These are valid points. A lot of fans were duped by Stanley and believed his tale about getting planning permission for the Goldstone so that the club could re-finance with a mortgage to clear the debts. The supporters' club initially fell for Stanley's lies and Attilla was sadly conned by Greg.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Re: Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

mona said:
These are valid points. A lot of fans were duped by Stanley and believed his tale about getting planning permission for the Goldstone so that the club could re-finance with a mortgage to clear the debts. The supporters' club initially fell for Stanley's lies and Attilla was sadly conned by Greg.

So what is to say that the likes of Atilla and Samrah are not being conned by the present board ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Ernest said:
So what is to say that the likes of Atilla and Samrah are not being conned by the present board ?

Maybe the fact that we have nothing to sell and are losing money.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As so many people have said, there is a big difference between scrutiny and taking an interest.

The club itself is scrutinised by many people, the league, the FA, their auditors, the Customs and Revenue etc.

During the public enquiries, their accounts and business plans were scrutinised in minute detail by their enemies.

Anybody can go to Companies House and get details on the club.

However, I think that as we have been bitten once, many people think that they need to doubt everything that is said. That is an understandable human emotion, however it does make for some very wild reading. You only have to see the topics raised since scoop's first post:

- Insurance
- How much has Dick Knight really put in
- What happened to the 40 note/Alive and Kicking fund
- what has happened in terms of Falmer costs

to see that actually the detail is out there but some seemingly intelligent people choose to ignore it.

You have to ask if these questions would be raised by RICHIE if we weren't staring relegation in the face?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Ernest said:
Virgo, Cullip, Harding, Zamora ???
Yup, I'm sure the board are ROLLING around in cash right now. The lawyers fee's for the public enquiry are clearly a pittance compared with how much they've raked in to line their own personal pockets through selling players. And of course playing at Withdean, they're practically writing their own cheques week in, week out with the staggering amount of cash rolling in.

Its all one big money-making CONSPIRACY isn't it. Dick TIGHT is making his own personal FORTUNE out of the club right now. We're fortunate to have people such as your good self to point this all out to everyone.

Thanks again.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Ernest said:
Virgo, Cullip, Harding, Zamora ???

It's obviously an out and out lie about the legal costs incurred over Falmer.

Try thinking about it. We are running at a loss or is that another fabrication ?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Yorkie said:
I hate the fact that people who support the board are called abusive names because they do read the facts and make their own judgements.
Just because they don't criticise everything and anything doesn't make for blind faith.
Please note this thread from last August.
http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=53275&highlight=negative

The fact is that this labelling of anyone supportive of the board is a smokescreen for critic's lack of arguments. If they had any evidence of wrongdoing or mismanagement at board level then we'd all know about it and it wuld be harder and harder for anyone to continue supporting the board.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Richie Morris said:
there appears to be certain supporters on here - ones who often dominate discussions -

what? like you you f***ing prick?

I've been reading this board long enough to see you sticking your tongue up whatever is flavour of the month's arse whenever you can. That's inbetween getting everything else you write wrong. Stick to being a journo, you're perfect for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just think it's been a false economy for the club not to have invested in a credible striker to keep us up this season. Sure, it would have cost a fair old chunk of money (using the coca-cola money on a short-term contract for a proven goal-scorer would have covered it) but sinking into League 1 without so much as a whimper just hands ammunition to LDC. Makes it harder to argue that the new stadium is in the national interest when there's not a snowball's chance in hell we'll even progress as far as the third round of the FA Cup next season. And the club will have a helluva lot less disposable income due to non-renewal of season tickets. It's a tragedy that could and should have been avoided. Oh well.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hindsight Tom. This super striker could have broken his leg on his debut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here