Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Richie Morris said:
Nobody ever seems to know how much Dick Knight has given.

Financially I don't know. But there's been an obvious amount of blood, toil, tears and sweat.

So what's your point about Dick Knight? He may not have given us millions, but then neither has anyone else. What exactly is it he's done wrong?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cheers, I couldnt remember the actual figure.

Sometime it just all seems a bit vague whenever the club talk about its finances.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Tom Hark said:
Think the Alive & Kicking could have done with a LOT more scrutiny. A shitload of money, best part of a third of a million quid if memory serves, went into that black hole, and I know of at least one Albion couple who set up a standing order to pay into it, and indeed are probably still paying into it, cos as far as I can see it was never officially wound up. Be interesting to see a breakdown of where that tidy sum went. ???

Have just checked my bank account, and yes my Alive & Kicking money is still coming out, but I signed up for a year, has a year gone by yet? I suppose it must of, in that case surely I should get some sort of share or something?

Richie Morris said:
I was discussing this the other day with a fellow poster in the pub but there appears to be a certain supporter on here - the one who often dominate discussions - who look upon any criticism of the players, the board and any topic which he doesn't like, the manager as disloyal and something which should be shot down at all times

Bhexpress by any chance?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Richie Morris said:
It seems we have sold a lot of players, had the bonus of the play off final and the spurs cup game, Norman Cook famously paying £500,000 for a parking space and various campaigns to get fans to stick their hands in their pockets.

All of which doesn't even cover the cost of the Public Inquiries.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Oceanic said:
Bhexpress by any chance?

Nope.

I wasnt having a pop at Dick. Just making the point the club tend to be very vague about its exact finances.

A little more communication to the fans wouldnt hurt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

555kaz said:
Have just checked my bank account, and yes my Alive & Kicking money is still coming out, but I signed up for a year, has a year gone by yet? I suppose it must of, in that case surely I should get some sort of share or something?

Blimey! Thought me chums were the only ones who'd signed up for that standing order to the A&K thing? you mean there's LOADS of better, more trusting, Albion fans than me out there doing likewise? ???

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just the occasional update in the programme as to how much was continuing to be raised by the Alive and Kicking and perhaps a total amount raised with a THANK YOU from the board would make all the difference.

I think some fans may start to resent the fact we are continually being asked to put our hands in our pockets but are only ever told the money is going in to "the Falmer black hole."

Details please...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

Richie Morris said:
I wasnt having a pop at Dick. Just making the point the club tend to be very vague about its exact finances.

A little more communication to the fans wouldnt hurt.

Most companies are a little vague about their finances, and balance sheets are very boring. If you're that worried about it I'm sure a visit to Companies House will be revealing.

I do understand what you are driving at, it is just a little much to expect the club to tell everyone that they are skint more than once a year. Quite frankly I think people would start complaining if they did.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

Tom Hark said:
Blimey! Thought me chums were the only ones who'd signed up for that standing order to the A&K thing? you mean there's LOADS of better, more trusting, Albion fans than me out there doing likewise? ???

Certainly looks that way, at the time I didn't have the spare cash to make a one off payment, so signed up for the standing order for a year. In hindsight, should of checked my bank more thoroughly spl, but seeing Brighton & Hove Albion - £xx.xx each month, just put it down to a ticket or something from the shop etc. Do think that they should of let me know when the year was up, wonder if they will let me use the excess towards my st?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Richie Morris said:
Cheers, I couldnt remember the actual figure.

Sometime it just all seems a bit vague whenever the club talk about its finances.

Funny. This sounded like like you were shit-stirring.

"...would be interesting to see just how much of his OWN money Dick Knight has invested in the club."

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Just the occasional update in the programme as to how much was continuing to be raised by the Alive and Kicking and perhaps a total amount raised with a THANK YOU from the board would make all the difference.

I agree about the updates to A&K, that would be a reasonable thing to do. Though I don't need ANOTHER thank you from the board, the certificate hanging on my wall is quite sufficient.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wozza said:

"...would be interesting to see just how much of his OWN money Dick Knight has invested in the club."

Would that be right after I had said Dick would always be an Albion LEGEND?

Funny. Sounds like you are just nit picking because it was me posting...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Wozza said:

Why is it shit stirring? The last bloke did very well out of buying this club for a very nice knock down price that most fans could have afforded.

The Falmer Black Hole is a very simple one to understand.

It's the cost of the Public Inquiries / Judicial Review.

Plus the shortfall in revenue that comes from a club with our operating costs playing to crowds of 6,000, when we need (and would be getting) at least the 13,650 that Plymouth got this afternoon.

The A&K Fund failed to raise enough money. It's no doubt all been spent on paying the electricity bills and stuff like that.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
One thing I would be interested to find out would be how much the club pay in insurance. Not suggesting for one second they should just do without but it would be interesting to see what the clubs insurance covers, i.e. injuries to players like Piercy, Blackwell, Kitson, Dodd etc.

My friend works for Cornhill and does the Mansfield Town insurance so I will ask him for a rough idea on Monday.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Richie Morris said:
One thing I would be interested to find out would be how much the club pay in insurance...My friend works for Cornhill and does the Mansfield Town insurance so I will ask him for a rough idea on Monday.

:drink:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

BensGrandad said:
Have you any answers to the above post Large One?

Which players were bought from this fund or was that the 40 note fund if so which players were bought from that fund.
The Forty Notes Fund, while still going, has been fairly inactive in its fundraising activities.

There have been many reasons for this - the principle one being the amount of personal time and effort it takes to arrange any functions. As a result of much hard work, it can also be de-moralising standing there at Withdean, calling for people to help to put a few quid in the bucket and being told to 'f*** off - I already buy my season ticket. I ain't helping the club any more than this etc...' You smile sweetly, but inside a part of you dies.

However, I am through this trauma now, and full intend to get my arse into gear and arrange at least a couple of functions to try and people involved. Christ knows we need the money to be spent on the playing squad during the close season - whatever division we're in.

But back to the original question, the Fund has raised about £28-30,000. No, we didn't keep meticulous accounts. That money went on funding the loan signings of Tony Rougier, Dave Beasant, Ben Roberts, Chris Iwelumo. Roberts, of course, signed permanently later.

I'll leave you to decide whether you think that was money well spent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here