Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worrying lack of scrutiny at Brighton and Hove Albion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Richie Morris said:
One thing I would be interested to find out would be how much the club pay in insurance. Not suggesting for one second they should just do without but it would be interesting to see what the clubs insurance covers, i.e. injuries to players like Piercy, Blackwell, Kitson, Dodd etc.

My friend works for Cornhill and does the Mansfield Town insurance so I will ask him for a rough idea on Monday.
It's all at Companies House.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
fosters headband said:
Why is it shit stirring? The last bloke did very well out of buying this club for a very nice knock down price that most fans could have afforded.

Well, if you don't trust Dick Knight, that's your prerogative.

But anyone who compares Knight to Archer is a c.unt. End of.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
The Falmer Black Hole is a very simple one to understand.

It's the cost of the Public Inquiries / Judicial Review.

Plus the shortfall in revenue that comes from a club with our operating costs playing to crowds of 6,000, when we need (and would be getting) at least the 13,650 that Plymouth got this afternoon.

The A&K Fund failed to raise enough money. It's no doubt all been spent on paying the electricity bills and stuff like that.

One question here LB. Have we now seen all the costs that Falmer will drain from this club?
As I understand it the ground will be built by another company and not the football club. So can we say now that all further revenue the club gets will be for the club until we have to pay the mortgage on the Falmer?

And also all the money the club has recieved since the inquiry, Harding, Virgo and Knight, would we have gone under without this?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think we are lucky to have fans like Lord B who give up their time to communicate the complicated financial impact of Falmer because without the likes of him I think most fans would be even more in the dark about it.

:clap:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Richie Morris said:
I think we are lucky to have fans like Lord B who give up their time to communicate the complicated financial impact of Falmer because without the likes of him I think most fans would be even more in the dark about it.

:clap:

The trouble is Richie, that, rather like LDC and the Falmer NIMBYs, some people never believe the truth, or just wilfully ignore it, no matter how many times or how concisely it is presented.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Wozza said:
Well, if you don't trust Dick Knight, that's your prerogative.

But anyone who compares Knight to Archer is a c.unt. End of.

I wasn't comparing Archer with Knight just stating that if perhaps
a bit more scrutiny had been around with Archer we would not have been in this position. Which is what this thread is all about!!

Please note I can reply without bad language!!

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Richie Morris said:
One thing I would be interested to find out would be how much the club pay in insurance. Not suggesting for one second they should just do without but it would be interesting to see what the clubs insurance covers, i.e. injuries to players like Piercy, Blackwell, Kitson, Dodd etc.

My friend works for Cornhill and does the Mansfield Town insurance so I will ask him for a rough idea on Monday.

How on earth would someone who 'does the Mansfield Town insurance' know how much we pay in premiums.

It seems to me Richie that you are clutching at some pretty elusive straws in your search for some kind of financial mis-appropriation.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He would know the rough amount a club in our position pays out in insurance and roughly what that covers in terms of pay outs to cover long term injuries.

I am not trying to uncover ANYTHING. I have no doubt Dick et al are running the club as best they can and not pocketing large wads of cash meant for the alive and kicking fund.

I just think a touch more transparency would be welcome.

fosters headband said:
One question here LB. Have we now seen all the costs that Falmer will drain from this club?
As I understand it the ground will be built by another company and not the football club. So can we say now that all further revenue the club gets will be for the club until we have to pay the mortgage on the Falmer?

And also all the money the club has recieved since the inquiry, Harding, Virgo and Knight, would we have gone under without this?
During the Public Inquiry, it was said by Martin Perry that the Stadium Company would initially been set up with just one shareholder - Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club Ltd. But, at the appropriate time, other corporate shareholders would be invited to acquire shares (including financial institutions and - if they wished - the City Council). Covenants would be in place to require the Stadium Company to operate the stadium as a Community Stadium and prevent the Stadium Company from disposing of the ground.

Once the stadium is built, the Football Club will pay the Stadium Company for the use of the ground (presumably at a "fair rent") and a proportion of future season ticket revenue would be earmarked for paying off the loans required to build the stadium - the so-called "securitisation" arrangement.

Separating the Football Club from the Stadium Company means that it is much easier to keep the playing budget safe from future "black holes". But we clearly haven't yet reached that point.

That's why my answer to the second question is YES - probably.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
fosters headband said:

I am fairly certain that MP said that a new company would be founded to build the Stadium and apply for the grants that they need and then the Football Club would be re-imbersed with the money that they have spent on the Falmer application.

BensGrandad said:
I am fairly certain that MP said that a new company would be founded to build the Stadium and apply for the grants that they need and then the Football Club would be re-imbersed with the money that they have spent on the Falmer application.
Indeed he did.

Benny Zamora said:
I agree in principle, but on the flip side of the coin i reserve the right to 'shoot down' people who make ridiculous comments - a classic example being the fools who are somehow looking to blame the current situation on Dick Knight.

Dick SAVED this club - if it wasn't for him the club would have no future. He CLEARLY has made funds available to McGhee this season. While he isn't, nor ever promised to be, a faultless chairman, the fact that we are in the relegation zone does nothing to question his position.

One other thing i want to chuck in to the mixer...imagine if we had lost in heroic fashion at the play-off final. Imagine if we had gone on to just miss out on the play-offs in division two, playing some decent football along the way...everyone would probably be satisfied with McGhee, despite being a division lower than we are.

It doesn't make me any less depressed at the current situation, but it's something i've had in the back of my mind throughout this terrible run.

Saved me a post! :clap2: :clap2: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Richie Morris said:
He would know the rough amount a club in our position pays out in insurance and roughly what that covers in terms of pay outs to cover long term injuries.

I am not trying to uncover ANYTHING. I have no doubt Dick et al are running the club as best they can and not pocketing large wads of cash meant for the alive and kicking fund.

I just think a touch more transparency would be welcome.

Still after that job on 'The Washington Post' eh Richie?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here