Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World food crisis? Stop having kids.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Er..that was actually British culture too not so long ago. In the Victorian era and before, families had large families precisely because infant mortality was so high. It took some time for those attitudes to die out - I know of several people from families of eight or more; one of Mrs Gwylan's friends is one of 12 - so today's small families are a relatively new phenomenon.

It's nothing to do with culture, it's to do with poverty, pure and simple. Children are an ecoonomic necessity, just as they were here about 60 or 70 years ago.

I know about our countries history and my mum is one of 17 born 16 survived though and because they all did my mums family was split up amongst the family and half of them never saw their brothers and sisters for years.

Real humane.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know about our countries history and my mum is one of 17 born 16 survived though and because they all did my mums family was split up amongst the family and half of them never saw their brothers and sisters for years.

Real humane.

Jesus, your Nan and Grandad can't have got out much.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Real humane.
So what was all that "their culture" shit all about then?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
And I didn't say ours used to be BUT when it brought to my attention i agreed.

Ours thankfully isn't anywhere as bad as it was but theirs still is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Culture schmulture

When you're living in a barren dustbowl on five grains of rice and half a cup of muddy pisswater a day, then as far as I'm concerned bringing a baby into that environment is WRONG, I don't care how long they've done it for or who's done similar over here in days gone by. Arguing the toss over 'history and cultures' doesn't fill those poor little bastards bellys or keep the swarms of bluebottles out of their eyes.

Its irresponsible and its selfish.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Culture schmulture

When you're living in a barren dustbowl on five grains of rice and half a cup of muddy pisswater a day, then as far as I'm concerned bringing a baby into that environment is WRONG, I don't care how long they've done it for or who's done similar over here in days gone by. Arguing the toss over 'history and cultures' doesn't fill those poor little bastards bellys or keep the swarms of bluebottles out of their eyes.

That's what i was originally trying to say :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Culture schmulture

Absolutely spot on. :bowdown:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The short answer is Europe lost the moral high ground over Africa when we invaded their countries and sent some of them off for slavery.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The answer to that is what China has done and only pay benefit for the first child. After that it is down to the parents to fund their family and it seems to be working OK out there as the average is down from 3.4 children to 1.2

They also MURDERED the extra kids. Injected them in the neck as they were born, so they died.

When Pol Pot was in charge in Cambodia, they delivered the children, then promptly murdered them by smashed their heads against trees. :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When Pol Pot was in charge in Cambodia, they delivered the children, then promptly murdered them by smashed their heads against trees. :nono:

And yet people STILL voted for that bastard on Britains Got Talent.
I despair of this country sometimes.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The short answer is Europe lost the moral high ground over Africa when we invaded their countries and sent some of them off for slavery.

To an extent I agree with you, although there was no shortage of tribes prepared to raid other villages for people who they then sold on to the European slavers so it was in part a collaboration for profit, after all if the Africans had united against the Slavers rather than helping them then the trade would not have lasted as long as it did.

European intervention in Africa obviously drew artificial borders all over the place which split tribal lands into countries which they haven't stopped fighting over since. The problems of Africa today are just too complex to get into on here but it is my belief that even if we stopped selling them arms, gave them wells and medicines, cancelled all their debts and stopped stealing their resources the place would still go tits up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its selfish.

of course it is, thats the whole point. but you live with a nice welfare state, job oppurtunities and potential to fund a pension to see yourself through old age. If you live in many parts of Africa, the Indian subcontinent, SE Asia or parts of S. America, you dont have that privilage. you die if you are sick or too old to work, unless you have a large enough family to support you.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
of course it is, thats the whole point. but you live with a nice welfare state, job oppurtunities and potential to fund a pension to see yourself through old age. If you live in many parts of Africa, the Indian subcontinent, SE Asia or parts of S. America, you dont have that privilage. you die if you are sick or too old to work, unless you have a large enough family to support you.

Spot bloody on. It is quite easy to judge those in Less Developed Countries and their different attitudes to life, from behind a computer that they could never even possbily dream of affording. Some of the quotes in this thread are rather offensive to say the least and I don't think anyone in their right mind is able to criticise those that lead a life of poverty and destitution without any hope of a bright future.

As for building wells. Many communities do build their own wells, but they do not have access to the proper equipment or materials.

Christ, some people are judgemental. 'Why can't they sort themselves out?' is hardly constructive. I wonder if they have tried that. :thud:

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Christ, some people are judgemental. 'Why can't they sort themselves out?' is hardly constructive. I wonder if they have tried that. :thud:

They've been starving in these country's for as long as I can remember BoF so if they have tried to sort themselves out they're not making a very good job of it are they? You cant go on for ever trying to help people who dont help themselves Bof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here