Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World class England internationals

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I think Gerrard, Rooney (although he's not won anything), Ashley Cole and maybe Joe Cole are the only true world class players we have.

What is all this bullshit about a golden generation?

And as for strength in depth, we have barely any.

Then when you look to the future it's hardly too exciting. Theo's looking a good prospect, but after him, who else do we have to look forward to pushing up the ranks?

England are overrated - FACT

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Gerrard, your having a laugh hpow many world class performances has he put in in an England shirt from his 50 odd caps i can think of 2.

Rooney - never really shown full potential since Euro 2004 - but we know he can.

Beckham is the only other and THE RUDDY FACED PLONKER doesn't even pick him in the squad.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hargreaves - as good as anyone in that position. Ferdinand and Terry when on form - and King and Woodgate are not far behind them.

Uncle Buck said:
A fit Owen, goal every other game in international football.
Not sure he'll be the same player whenhe comes back. :down:

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Why are they world class...what do you have to do to be world class...do you have to "world class" to win things?

Greece!

All I ask as a fan is to play with heart for each other not as Individuals....until this changes we will win f*** all!!!!

I would like to see some of these so call world class players brought down a rung or two....look at Scotland and Ireland!

How many "world class" players do they have!

Wankers...the lot of them...(England I mean :lolol: )

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the Golden Generation has gone. Owen, Scholes and Beckham were the cornerstone, with some very good players around them.

Both Utd players are years past their best, while Owen is out injured, and with them has gone our chances ... for now.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Goring Gull said:
Gerrard, your having a laugh hpow many world class performances has he put in in an England shirt from his 50 odd caps i can think of 2.

Agree fully.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Currently, the two above.

Potentially; King, Robinson, maybe Walcott ...

King I doubt, he is not better than either Ferdinand or Woodgate and Terry is not going to get dropped.

Robinson, he is a good keeper, but is he up there with past keepers such as Shilton, Clemence or even to an extent Seaman? It is not helped that he has had bugger all competition, so hopefully Kirkland can stay fit this season and provide something that amounts to some competition for the number 1 shirt.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Would not right him off yet and at present nobody is filling in for him.
There is nobody capable of filling his boots and being as good as he was I agree - Walcott in time will be a fantastic player but right now the leading contender is probably Johnson. But I think with every injury Owen has lost a bit of pace, and this particularly is an injury that could affect that quite badly.

I sincerely hope I am wrong in my concern. :)

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
King I doubt, he is not better than either Ferdinand or Woodgate and Terry is not going to get dropped.

Robinson, he is a good keeper, but is he up there with past keepers such as Shilton, Clemence or even to an extent Seaman? It is not helped that he has had bugger all competition, so hopefully Kirkland can stay fit this season and provide something that amounts to some competition for the number 1 shirt.

I reckon King's probably the best we've got at the back; maybe Woodgate's better when fit - in fact, they'd be my ideal pairing. Comfortably better than Terry and more consistent and reliable than Ferdinand.

The problem with Robinson is that he seems to get a bit complacent; if he can lose a stone or so and get back to the form he was in when he first joined Spurs, I can't see that many currently playing goalkeepers are better, perhaps Buffon aside.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Silent Bob said:
There is nobody capable of filling his boots and being as good as he was I agree - Walcott in time will be a fantastic player but right now the leading contender is probably Johnson. But I think with every injury Owen has lost a bit of pace, and this particularly is an injury that could affect that quite badly.

I sincerely hope I am wrong in my concern. :)

I am not sure to date he has lost much pace, he lot sluggish in the World Cup, but he was not fit. I agree that the danger is the knee injury robs him of pace, but we shall see.

Agree regarding Johnson, especially if it keeps Defoe and Bent out of the side as neither look up to it. Defoe is a real frustration as he has in the past looked a class act, but has not developed and still does not look up.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
I reckon King's probably the best we've got at the back; maybe Woodgate's better when fit - in fact, they'd be my ideal pairing. Comfortably better than Terry and more consistent and reliable than Ferdinand.

The problem with Robinson is that he seems to get a bit complacent; if he can lose a stone or so and get back to the form he was in when he first joined Spurs, I can't see that many currently playing goalkeepers are better, perhaps Buffon aside.

King does not convince me, never has and to honest I have prefered Carragher as a back up, rather than King.

Ferdinand has actually looked pretty decent for England for the last 12 months, since the game in Belfast. Terry is not and has never been convincing, however part of the issue has been than Woodgate is never fit.

With regards to Robinson, I am not sure he is one of the top 5 keepers in Europe.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'd agree with Owen, he is on his day a world beater.

As for Stevie G, admittedly he hasn't always cut it in the white shirt BUT there's no denying that a player who can single handedly win the Champions League and FA cup has got to be something a bit special.

Hargreaves is not as good as Makelele

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hargreaves is not the same type of player as Makalele, he's a defensive midfielder but a more accurate comparison would be Gattuso.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Top class for me is just Terry and Gerrard. Rooney, Walcott and Michah Richards look the best of the younger generation.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Gerrard shit shit shit - never let him back in a three lions jersey, FFS see the light.

He ocasionally belts a long ranger into the goal great - but he can't do the fcuking basics like position himself pass it well enough consistently. He plays like a frigging Thicko.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Wrold class players can pass the ball, some those passes I saw....bugger me I could do better and I have two left feet when it comes to playing footie!

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here