Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World class England internationals

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Uncle Buck said:
He has rarely let club or country down.

I did wonder if he would call it a day after the World Cup when it came to international football, but it looks like he is going after Shilton's record.

Fair play..he is solid but not WC.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Neville is a very good player, one of the best. His consistency (barring Wednesday) and reliability make him one of the first names on the team sheet.

HOWEVER, this doesn't mean he is world class, and it is a fact that there is no serious English competition for his place (not that he needs replacing just yet, but he will)

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Compare Neville to Zambrotta, Cafu & Thuram over the last three world cups and his ability going forward is the difference. All three of those players made a difference at the other end in those tournaments.

Still very good though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
Compare Neville to Zambrotta, Cafu & Thuram over the last three world cups and his ability going forward is the difference. All three of those players made a difference at the other end in those tournaments.

Still very good though.

When he came into the England side he was actually very good going forward and had a decent cross on him (Shearers goal against Scotland in 1996). However as soon as Beckham broke through (post Euro 96), Neville hardly ever got forward, mainly as he used to just give the ball to Beckham.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
When he came into the England side he was actually very good going forward and had a decent cross on him (Shearers goal against Scotland in 1996). However as soon as Beckham broke through (post Euro 96), Neville hardly ever got forward, mainly as he used to just give the ball to Beckham.

Im sorry UB but one cross (which was decent) doesn't make the man significantly world class. His final ball is not consistent enough and he can be baeten by pace and trickery.

Last edited:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:

A mitigating factor yes, but I don't think he comes close to those 3 as an attacking force and for me that's what a world class full back offers ( on top of being able to defend ! ).

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Sid James said:
A mitigating factor yes, but I don't think he comes close to those 3 as an attacking force and for me that's what a world class full back offers ( on top of being able to defend ! ).

Kenny Sansom was world class how would GN stack up against him?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Sid James said:
How exacting do you want to be re 'world class' :

Terry : lacks pace
Ferdinand : concentration
Joe Cole : inconsistent
Rooney : temperament
Ashley Cole : attitude

Too many question marks there, contrast this with the current world champions :

Buffon
Zambrotta
Cannavaro
Pirlo
Gattuso

That was without Nesta.
Well world class is certainly a very vague term, but I would argue that Rio Ferdinand performs when it matters (immense in 2002 and excellent in 2006), as does Ashley Cole despite being a greedy tosser.

The Italy players you have mentioned are certainly world class, but there are others you can point to, Camoranesi, Materazzi, Gilardino, Toni, who while excellent players are only as good or worse as what England can offer, while squad players like Iaquinta, Zaccardo, Barzagli wouldn't make the England squad.

I do think we have the players to be one of the best sides in the world, but not the manager to make us into that team. :down:

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Perry Milkins said:
Im sorry UB but one cross (which was decent) doesn't make the man significantly world class. His final ball is not consistent enough and he can be baeten by pace and trickery.

But the point is, as an attacking force he has not been used for 10 years as Beckham has been in front of him. I would say his role changed in the team significantly once Beckham broke through, so we did not see him going forward.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think its a question of how many of our lot would get a game at a good foreign club side like Barca, Madrid or Milan. Apart from Rooney, Gerrard and Ashley Cole (Cock but bloody superb left back) possibly Ferdinand can't really see any others.

and before anyone starts i know that Beckham plays for Madrid

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think that the media hype England up so much that they cant help but fail to meet expectations!

I think world class teams have a 2nd XI that would be half decent but if you look at England there isn't realy much depth, apart from Centre midfield.

I think that we are one of the top teams in the world, but not good enough to win World cups/Euros.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
why are we one of the top teams in the world? What have we won for that high accolade?

We have never won anything since 1966, so in 40 years our team has achieved nothing??

:nono: :shootself

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
We have LOTS of world class players- proven by their records and performances for their clubs. However, few of them perform as they should for their country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here