Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World class England internationals

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
2. Rooney and Gerrard. Id say that Joe Cole and Hargreaves are on their way there. Michael Owen was once. (may not be after his injury sadly).

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
AArrgghh another vote for Gerrard no wonder England are no bloody good.

I actually think the pace of the english domestic game doesn't help that's why Engalnd players lack technique they don't get long enough to play with the ball in a match so to speak where as Italy etc the game is slower so players get to perfect this.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I would like to see Joe Cole given his chance, with a free role!

:clap:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hmm. actually it is easier to think of those in the squad who are NOT world class, and they would be:

Lampard
Terry
Neville (P&G)
Parker
Carragher
DeFoe
Carrick
Crouch

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Hmm. actually it is easier to think of those in the squad who are NOT world class, and they would be:

Lampard
Terry
Neville (P&G)
Parker
Carragher
DeFoe
Carrick
Crouch

I would agree with all of those.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Doesn't anyone ever consder why we don't produce many world class palyers - we need to get to the root of the problem not worry about players now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bevendean Hillbilly said:

Lampard
Terry
Neville (P&G)
Parker
Carragher
DeFoe
Carrick
Crouch

Not sure whether Gary Neville is World Class, however he does have nearly 100 caps to his name and has rarely (OK the other night), let England down and at present will be missed when he retires.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
y2dave said:
Top class for me is just Terry and Gerrard. Rooney, Walcott and Michah Richards look the best of the younger generation.

I think Terry's well short of World Class - I'm not convinced he's international class, really. A real weak link in the current England side.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's an odd concept but i'd say Beckham, Scholes and Owen are the only ones who'd say have proven to be world class with a strong body of work.
On the edge of it is Hargreaves.
In 2000 i would have said Gerrard had the potential but i'd say he's failed to live up to the promise.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
We could have 250 WORLD CLASS players at our disposal but the problem is that we don't seem to be capable of playing as a TEAM.

I don't know if this is down to the management, tactics or the players themselves. I suspect it's a mixture of all three. Until we sort this out we are doomed to under-achieve.

Individually, we are WELL blessed but collectively......................................

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
When Gerrard is deployed for England as he is for Liverpool, which is no responsibilities at all other than hurting the opposition, then you will see the best of him. If that stops him from being world class then so be it but only then will we see the best of him.

How exacting do you want to be re 'world class' :

Terry : lacks pace
Ferdinand : concentration
Joe Cole : inconsistent
Rooney : temperament
Ashley Cole : attitude

Lampard certainly has all the tools but is woefully out of form. A fit Owen certainly is but who knows when we will see that again.

Most of the others haven't played enough games for England but Woodgate looks to have it all.

Too many question marks there, contrast this with the current world champions :

Buffon
Zambrotta
Cannavaro
Pirlo
Gattuso

That was without Nesta.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sid James said:
When Gerrard is deployed for England as he is for Liverpool, which is no responsibilities at all other than hurting the opposition, then you will see the best of him. If that stops him from being world class then so be it but only then will we see the best of him.

i think that's the problem. you really cannot justify giving him that sort of role in an international team unless you have no other good players.
For Liverpool he get's moved around all the time because he's difficult to accomodate. Some of the time, especially in Houllier's last season they looked stronger without him

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Out of the squad for the last 2 games only Rooney for definite. Even though he's out of form at the moment he's still one of the all-time greats.

From the crocks: well Owen USED to be, whether he still will be is another matter. Hargreaves has the potential to be world class and also, given time, perhaps Aaron Lennon.

Gerrard is too 'huff and puff' and lacks the footballing brain to be truly world class. The other contenders (both Coles, Lampard, Terry and Ferdinand) are all good internationals but they all lack that 'something'. They certainly don't excite me.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Uncle Buck said:
Not sure whether Gary Neville is World Class, however he does have nearly 100 caps to his name and has rarely (OK the other night), let England down and at present will be missed when he retires.

Earned becaase England have precious little depth in cover at that position.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Hiney said:
We could have 250 WORLD CLASS players at our disposal but the problem is that we don't seem to be capable of playing as a TEAM.

I don't know if this is down to the management, tactics or the players themselves. I suspect it's a mixture of all three. Until we sort this out we are doomed to under-achieve.

Individually, we are WELL blessed but collectively......................................

Problem is these so-called world class players are more concerned about their contracts than pride in the shirt.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Perry Milkins said:
Earned becaase England have precious little depth in cover at that position.

but you don't win as many league titles, fa cups and a champions league winners medal with out being half decent.

Oh and having had Schiemcel in goal behind you may have helped.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
But he has also won everything at club level and Utd have the money to replace him.

So is it nobody has got a look in as there is no other quality there for England or is it he has made the position his own and so nobody has been able to challenge him?

I would guess that for England , there was no one to effectively challenge and for Manu they had money earnmrked in other areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here