Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Words with Friends' Super Cup - Draw, Rules, Fixtures and Results Thread

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
ultiali 397 t1tanic 431

Another very close finish, I thought I was a goner... but he got stuck with some dodgy letters at the end, I guess, 'cos he had to pass the last couple of rounds.

I had vowels coming out of my ass! At one point I had 4 e's 2 i's and an o. I played what I thought was a masterstroke in epee and promptly got another e and another o. FFS

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think so, surely that would warp the final score a hell of a lot. I don't recall the final scores swinging THAT much, but I stand to be corrected.

I just tried googling the rules, but I can't get on gaming websites at work.
You are correct Easy. Points are deducted, but not added. In Scrabble you can understand the "double swing" because it is a game for multiple players.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
tinxtaylor 319 - BeanBHA 323

Another very close one, I am still yet to get a win and have been on the receiving end of some very close scores so far. And a few drubbings.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You are correct Easy. Points are deducted, but not added. In Scrabble you can understand the "double swing" because it is a game for multiple players.

You're wrong - it's a 'double swing' as you're calling it.

In tight close games, I'll use it to my advantage, sacrificing points to get out quicker if I suspect or know my opponent is holding high value letters.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...I've also been caught holding a Q I can't place in the past leading to me losing a game on the 'double swing'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

In tight close games, I'll use it to my advantage, sacrificing points to get out quicker if I suspect or know my opponent is holding high value letters.
Are you saying that any points remaining ARE double counted in WwF? i.e. deducted from one player AND added to the other?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

It's a pity you can't see how many letters your opponent has left. Do you keep a count??
I try to, but lose track easily if playing multiple games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

It doesn't even have to be a tight close game then if thats the case, the swing could be massive.
Getting out quick is surely a no-brainer.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
BinkyBlue accumulated results Group A

Home Away
------ -------
Box of frogs 283 vs Binkyblue 416
Flakehound 297 Binkyblue 421
BravoT 271 Binkyblue 390
Mr Sheen 2011 282 BinkyBlue 361
Binkyblue 431 Box of Frogs 275

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I keep count of the opponents tiles towards the end, so you know what you are facing.

I shall attempt to collate the next set of results and produce some tables.

We can then work out what to do about the no shows.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a pity you can't see how many letters your opponent has left. Do you keep a count??
I try to, but lose track easily if playing multiple games.

I don't keep a tally, no. With c20 games on the go at one time, that would be one hell of a task in itself.

If a game is going down to the wire though, I'll scan the board and look for QJXZs, Ss blanks, Vs, Ks, Ms, Bs, Ps and Fs to know if they're likely to come my way if a few letters left or whether my opponent has them. This is for a number of reasons...

- Determining that if I get out how big a points swing there might be.
- Making sure that if a high value letter is coming my way, i.e. the Q, that I either have an I or there are available Is on the board so I don't get stuck with the Q.
- Making sure that if I think my opponent has a high value letter, i.e. the Q as above, that I don't give any easy opportunities for them to get rid of it.
- Knowing whether I could put a word near a TW safely because all Ss and blanks have been used and my opponent won't have an easy plural onto the TW.

(I'm not sure why I'm sharing this, given I tend to win a lot more than I lose when it gets close at the end!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It doesn't even have to be a tight close game then if thats the case, the swing could be massive.
Getting out quick is surely a no-brainer.

I don't think that's the case. If you're trailing by a few but are confident your opponent only has a few 1 point tiles, you might want to maximise your points over and above getting out quick.

Also, if you know your opponent has a C or V (I hate the sodding Vs!), you'll know they won't have any easy 2 letter words available. if you can ascertain that there are no other positions on the board where such a letter can be disposed of, you can take your time racking up points go by go knowing that they'll have to keep passing.

Sep 1, 2010
I keep count of the opponents tiles towards the end, so you know what you are facing.

I shall attempt to collate the next set of results and produce some tables.

We can then work out what to do about the no shows.

how is the points thing working again? is it points totaled up or set amount of points for a win, i am struggling to qualify though. Also, what is happening about the missing players in group C that has not responded?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think that's the case. If you're trailing by a few but are confident your opponent only has a few 1 point tiles, you might want to maximise your points over and above getting out quick.

Also, if you know your opponent has a C or V (I hate the sodding Vs!), you'll know they won't have any easy 2 letter words available. if you can ascertain that there are no other positions on the board where such a letter can be disposed of, you can take your time racking up points go by go knowing that they'll have to keep passing.

Master linguist AND strategist. No wonder you dish out the beatings.

With you on the V's, they are a MAJOR irritant to have late on, as are C's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here