Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With GOD back in goal....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, you need two keepers. But you can't argue that all of that lot were signed to be the number two, or to sit, unquestioningly, on the bench and gaze adoringly each week at the best keeper the world has apparently ever seen.

The point is that every manager we've had since (and including) Adams has clearly and publicly had some kind of issue with Kuipers, hence the number of times he's been on the bench, or loaned out, or dropped. I honestly can't see it just being down to the kicking- yes, sometimes that puts pressure on the team but it's not the be all and end all at a professional club.

FFS, I'm not saying he's crap, far from it, but some people on here need to realise that *maybe* there's more to the situation than meets the eye, maybe everything isn't quite as black & white as you make it out to be. I wouldn't pretend to have any knowledge of the situation, but are you, as a fan looking in from the outside, saying all those managers are wrong?

It simply annoys me that some people REFUSE to even consider that Kuipers might have the slightest flaw. I only hope you're all as vocal next time he fucks up (which hopefully won't happen for a long time, by the way).

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Complete Badger said:
I love the way everyone claims the clean sheet was purely down to Michel not having any shots to save. Don't you think the reason for this is possibly because he is such an accomplished, organised, and responsible keeper? Compare this to the erratic clown we usually endure each week, and it's hardly surprising to find that the opposition have gone from causing complete panic in our box to not having a shot.

So what if he can't kick? Do we really need to talk about it? It's not like anyone on here doesn't know that. The point is, kicking is a totally trivial part of the game for a goalkeeper (unless your name is Mark McGhee), whereas organising a defence and stopping the ball ending up in your net are quite significant - both aspects that Michel has proved he is superior at.

Long may he reign:bowdown:

Sorry that is total nonsense. Distribution is a KEY part of a goalkeeper's job and keepers spend quite some time working on distribution. I used to have to spend up to an hour a day on it when it went a bit haywire.

Kuipers WAS a great keeper. He is not what he was two years ago when he really was great. He makes easy saves look flash because he is slightly late to pick up the ball. Hoýwever, saying all this we are blessed with having two keepers who are above League 1 standard. Henderson has more natural ability and IF TREATED RIGHT, will be an excellent keeper. Thanks to the disgusting behaviouýr of our fans his confidence is low and we've given FDM his chance. I hope he does well but when he makes mistakes I expect our fans and especially our management staff to treat FDM the same way that Hendo has been treated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well Naylor may or may not know something we don't as he intimates in today's Argus that Henderson may be loaned out or sold before the end of the transfer window.

*Chris Tarrant voice* "Well done everyone" :angry:

Can't decide whether I'd blame Henderson for being too thin skinned or the wankers who abuse him whilst playing for us

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"Albion desperately need to sign players, not lose them, but the departure of Henderson during what is left of the January transfer window, or the loan period from early February through to late March, cannot be ruled out."

:down:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:
The only season we stayed up in the Championship was when Kuipers had his shoulder ripped apart and Blayney played.

However before Kuipers got injured that season we had picked up enough decent results (a number of them 1-0) which meant in January when he got injured we were a few points clear of the relegation zone.

Kuipers got injured and our form dipped, badly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barrel of Fun said:
"Albion desperately need to sign players, not lose them, but the departure of Henderson during what is left of the January transfer window, or the loan period from early February through to late March, cannot be ruled out."

:down:

When I suggested exactly the same thing yesterday I was accused of being a DRAMA QUEEN :smokin:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
edna krabappel said:
Let's get this straight- Adams, Coppell, Taylor, McGhee and now Wendy have all expressed clear concern at FDM one way or another, illustrated by the regular signing of new keepers over the same period:

Ben Roberts: - Signed initially on loan as Kuipers was injured, became available in the summer and too good not to go after.

Mark Cartwright: - Signed at the same time as Kuipers as we had released Omerod and Walton had gone back to Wales, however generally played second fiddle to Kuipers when they were both fit.

Dave Beasant: - Signed as Kuipers was injured.

David Yelldell: - Signed on loan as Kuipers was injured.

Simon Royce: - Signed on loan as Kuipers was injured.

Ross Flitney : - Signed on loan as cover for Kuipers as it was thought best to loan Kuipers to a lower league club to get some games as he was coming back from injury and Roberys had started the season.

Henderson: - Signed initially on loan as Kuipers was injured, looked good on loan, became available so we signed him.

Florent Chaigneau: - Signed on loan as Kuipers was injured and we had no keepers at the beginning of that season.

Alan Blayney: - Signed on loan firstly as Kuipers was injured as was Shaaban. Brought back initially as Henderson was injured and then Henderson's loan ran out.

Rami Shaaban: - Signed as Kuipers was injured and Yelldell was not up to it.
Stuart Jones: - Signed as he was available, we were running out of loans and Roberts and Kuipers were injured.

Andy bloody Petterson FFS: - Needed a spare keeper.

BIRCHYBOY27

Nov 25, 2005
brighton
Its always best to have a spare keeper on the bench, Kuipers has been injured a lot in the past. Im a Hendo fan, but dont really care as long as we are winning and keeping clean sheets.

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
This could be very cute timing by Wilkins to put the feelers out to other clubs that may be interested in Hendo just before the end of the window or he could just be wanting to freshen things up a bit. Either way its a great decision and I hope FDM keeps the shirt for brizzle.

BIRCHYBOY27

Nov 25, 2005
brighton
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Sorry that is total nonsense. Distribution is a KEY part of a goalkeeper's job and keepers spend quite some time working on distribution. I used to have to spend up to an hour a day on it when it went a bit haywire.

Kuipers WAS a great keeper. He is not what he was two years ago when he really was great. He makes easy saves look flash because he is slightly late to pick up the ball. Hoýwever, saying all this we are blessed with having two keepers who are above League 1 standard. Henderson has more natural ability and IF TREATED RIGHT, will be an excellent keeper. Thanks to the disgusting behaviouýr of our fans his confidence is low and we've given FDM his chance. I hope he does well but when he makes mistakes I expect our fans and especially our management staff to treat FDM the same way that Hendo has been treated.
If i was Hendo i would leave, some wankers abuse him but hes OUR player and we should get behind him not attack him.

Ok Kuipers has a chance to show why he should be No 1 keeper, But if he slips in the box or makes a couple of mistakes, he will never get treated as bad as hendo.

ActonSeagull

Aug 28, 2006
Kuipers has made a couple of mistakes over a long period of time. Hendo seems to make them every week. He doesnt command his area, is a good shot stopper - but no better than Kuipers in my opinion. He looks hesitant and has cost us points this season - it is only by luck that hes hasnt actually cost us more than he has - almost single handedly blew our comfortable lead v Swansea. If he never wears the shirt again then it would be no problem for me,

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
ActonSeagull said:
.....If he never wears the shirt again then it would be no problem for me,

What about a multitude of errors from our other inexperienced players?

Has Lynch been faultless? Rents? Cox? Fraser? There have been at least two or three times that Lynch is directly at fault for goals. Would you want to see the back of him?

The youngsters are bound to make mistakes and unfortunately for a goalkeeper it can be disastrous.

YOu wouldn't mind if he never wears the shirt again? He is a good keeper and will get better. We do not have a wealth of money to lose talented players at the drop of a hat.

edna krabappel said:

I only hope you're all as vocal next time he fucks up (which hopefully won't happen for a long time, by the way).

Won't be necessary-there are enough anti-Kuipers people out there (or is that pro-Henderson?) who will let him know.

Like a number of people, I'll support the keeper in goal for us although my personal preference is Kuipers. Not because he's God or has turned into a Super Hero, I personally think he is the better of our 2 options at the moment. I laugh when the old "Kuipers can't kick" argument gets rolled out-especially after seeing some of Henderson's efforts.

This has become the new McGhee In/McGhee Out division amongst fans and it's getting as tedious as that was. Support whoever is in goal but be adult enough to acknowledge that if we are in a long running poor spell, changes may be needed and it may be your favourite who needs a rest. FFS-neither of them set out to f*** up but in view of the level of football they're playing, chances are they will once or twice a game. If they didn't, they'd be in the Premiershite.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
B.M.F said:
I still prefer Hendo and did not listen to the game today but from what I have heard the reason we won is because we scored with pretty much our only shot and cheaterfield were woeful. We also had more experience at the back with OGH playing but of course it was all down to Kuipers wasn't it:nono: :nono: :nono:
I will cheer him if he starts next game as I cheer whoever is on the pitch but mark my words Hendo will be back and is the better keeper.

If you'd been there, you'd have thought differently, fella. Chesterfield were not woeful, and we had a good few shots. There were a few 'heart in mouth' moments, when Kipper had to come out to clear the ball, but unlike Hendo last weekend, he made the clearances.

I've got to admit I was dubious about our first half goalkick tactics, cos everytime he hoofed it, it simply blew back in the wind and gave possession to Chesterfield - why not throw it out and work it out from the back? - but Kipper looked solid, otherwise. Good catches at crosses, good to have the FDM back in the side. :clap2: :clap2:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
chez said:
If Kuipers stays in the team he could very well cost us our League 1 status. I hope Wilkins see's sense and gets rid of him. There is NO WAY he should be offered a new contract. Out with the useless deadwood I say. Thats not being harsh just honest, Carpenter should not be offered a new one either. Both players good in there day - about 4 years ago, neither up to league standard anymore.

I, like most others, would prefer Henderson to leave rather than Kuipers. Agree with Carpenter point though - he should retire.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The 'debate' about which goalie is best has nothing to do with their ability, it has to do with mcGhee. The reason Hendo gets so much stick is not because of Michel it's because McGhee signed Hendo and played him in preference to Michel. The anti McGhee brigade then took it upon themselves to heap abuse on Hendo because of this. Personally he could have played a blinder every game and he would still get s**t.
As for who I prefer ... at the moment Michel if he has a couple of bad games then it would be Hendo, it's down to form and nothing else.

... but then again it's not much of a debate when you've got Dwayne calling one of them a cvnt and 3gulls spewing out abuse, hardly a debate but then this is nsc and so I shouldn't be surprised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here