Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon - A disgrace

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Playing on No. 2 Court gives them an opportunity to play in front of "the ordinary fan". They don't want that - f***ing prima donnas.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Playing on No. 2 Court gives them an opportunity to play in front of "the ordinary fan". They don't want that - f***ing prima donnas.

Ah, actually you are right.

Feeling they deserve a better court due to their phenomenal tournament record IS the same as being a convicted murderer.

Sorry.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
ummm...SLIGHTLY different..

Not different at all.

The Williams sisters' real failure lies in their inability to see that Wimbledon is the most historic and successful tennis tournament of all time because there's a lot the organisers get right about it, not least of all fair seedings from which the decisions as to which court players are assigned to are made.

This, and the disregard for higher seeded players who deserve their shot at Centre / No. 1 courts, shows an ignorant and selfish attitude that betrays a complete lack of class.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ah, actually you are right.

Feeling they deserve a better court due to their phenomenal tournament record IS the same as being a convicted murderer.

Sorry.

What are you ON about? My point was that just because you make a good gesture it doesn't make you a good or classy person. It's like claiming because Wayne Rooney visited a child's hospital once he isn't acunt.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
I think all this talk about what court your on is bollox. As is the equal prize money argument. In the sports world your paid what your worth. The majority of wimbledon spectators go to watch the big stars and the big games, mostly mens games. The men play better quality tennis not to mention the best of 5 sets rather than the poultry 3 on offer at a womens game.

Simply mens tennis is a better quality and more exciting. More people part with their cash to see the mens tournament hence why the mens prize money should be more and the top mens players take centre stage. On top of that no-one wants to listen to her manly grunt for 2 hours

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What are you ON about? My point was that just because you make a good gesture it doesn't make you a good or classy person. It's like claiming because Wayne Rooney visited a child's hospital once he isn't acunt.

But because of this ONE issue of her wanting a good court you're claiming she is a BAD person.

Whereas the other examples you gave, The KRAYS, did LOADS of bad things, meaning their one 'good' gesture was worthless in comparison.

I imagine you have dropped litter once before, I'm therefore going to assume you have no class.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Simply mens tennis is a better quality and more exciting. More people part with their cash to see the mens tournament hence why the mens prize money should be more and the top mens players take centre stage. On top of that no-one wants to listen to her manly grunt for 2 hours

The venus game was EPIC the other day. The Robson match is currently brilliant. The Li Na game yesterday was also fantastic.

I actually think the womens game is MUCH better for competitiveness. Service games are much more foughtly contested due to the lack of power and the ralleys can be brilliant.

I willl ALWAYS watch the mens game as I have more interest in it, but the womens really is brilliant. Anyone could win their tournament this year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so what we've learnt is the real disgrace is Williams, who seems to think she should get special treatment based on past success rather than this years form?

cant say im surprised given the elitist nature of the sport.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
The venus game was EPIC the other day. The Robson match is currently brilliant. The Li Na game yesterday was also fantastic.

I actually think the womens game is MUCH better for competitiveness. Service games are much more foughtly contested due to the lack of power and the ralleys can be brilliant.

I willl ALWAYS watch the mens game as I have more interest in it, but the womens really is brilliant. Anyone could win their tournament this year.

I agree i watched the Venus game and it was very entertaining. And also agree on the competativeness of this years tournament, in fact most years womens wimbledon. However mens tennis is much better quality of course and thats what brings in the punters. Tennis fans live for the Federer, Djokovic or Murray, Nadal games!!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well she can f*** right off, if she wants a decent court she can enter the mens tour, and then play real games of tennis for less money overall, winning the womans tour carries about as much prestige as winning the JPT in football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But because of this ONE issue of her wanting a good court you're claiming she is a BAD person.

Whereas the other examples you gave, The KRAYS, did LOADS of bad things, meaning their one 'good' gesture was worthless in comparison.

I imagine you have dropped litter once before, I'm therefore going to assume you have no class.

Here's your girl Serena acting classy at the US Open 2009 (Daily Mail):

Serena Williams hit with record fine and faces US Open ban threat after 'threatening to kill' line judge
By Mike Dickson

Serena Williams has been hit with a record fine in women’s tennis for her US Open outburst - but it will hardly be reducing her to penury.
The world No 1 was fined £50,000 and given a suspended ban from Flushing Meadows over the next three years for the threats she directed at a line judge who foot-faulted her during her semi-final against Kim Clijsters.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Unbelievable. The third biggest court, still holding 4,000 people and it's a brand new build. She's the number 7 seed.

She's had a bit of an up and down week with her comments... I quite liked her comments on the restaurant that caused her serious injury, but then she came out with bizarre comments about it being hard living in Europe as it means she doesn't have access to the latest technology like they have in America.

Just... odd.

More like Diva-ish IMHO. It's been a while since I went to Wimbledon, the last time I went it rained all day and we didn't get refunds. But I presume that if you have a "ground" ticket you can get in and see Court 2.

Back in the late 60's/early 70's you could queue outside Centre Court and take the place of someone who had seen enough for the day. I think in 1968 there was even a small area on Centre Court for general ticket-holders. How else could I have seen John Newcombe as Champ in the first match of the Open era? There were a lot of gaps though, Laver was on Court 1 at the time!

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
She's a professional at her sport. She should just get on with it, So what if she plays on court 1,2 or 3. Should make no difference at all. Needs to get over herself

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
More like Diva-ish IMHO. It's been a while since I went to Wimbledon, the last time I went it rained all day and we didn't get refunds. But I presume that if you have a "ground" ticket you can get in and see Court 2.

Nope Court 2 and Court 3 are now allocated tickets in the ballott! I got my tickets for court 2 for Wednesday in the ballott, apart from losing 3 hours to rain it was a great days tennis culminating in Del Potro throwing a paddy and his shoes away.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
In about 1980 Borg was actually scheduled to play an early round on Court 2. So I went there...and it rained. They then rescheduled the game for Centre Court. THat's the only chance I had to se THAT legend live.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
I was on Court 2 yesterday; Serena was obviously narked; late showing up on court; stayed in her chair whilst umpire and Halep were waiting for the toss; when she deemed to join in the toss she did so whilst intimidating her opponent with practice smashes and at end of first game just strolled straight to the other end...more psychology. Halep did well first set, fit and fast but was ultimately over powered. I was looking forward to seeing a champion but left yesterday looking forward to seeing her knocked out.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
She has a very good point but I feel Serena has upset too many people that run Wimbledon.

Personally I wish they'd stick that Scottish tossrag on No.2 court and put Gael Monfils on Centre every time. He's great entertaininment to watch and got more personality than Murray will ever have. Slagging off the fans for shouting "Come on Tim!" lightheartedly? Great PR. Well done Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here